What can I get for $11 Dam Dollars?

ItsTimeToSail

I collected $11 Dam Dollars on the 12/16 Noordam cruise, but missed the redemption opportunity. Questions: Can I save these Dam Dollars for my next HAL cruise? Could I have gotten anything for $11 Dam Dollars?

After reading WCB’s latest post regarding “unearned” Dam Dollars, I was wondering how much would I need to get the more interesting prizes? What are the more interesting items that CCers have redeemed in the past?

Any Dam insight would be much appreciated… :)

I collected $11 Dam Dollars on the 12/16 Noordam cruise, but missed the redemption opportunity. Questions: Can I save these Dam Dollars for my next HAL cruise? Could I have gotten anything for $11 Dam Dollars?

Hate to tell you, but probably nothing. I think I had like ten on my Amsterdam cruise last January. The minimum item (I think it was like a water bottle) cost $20. I wound up just giving my dollars to the woman at the table, telling her that if someone else was short, just pass them along to that person.

Also, from what I understand, Dam dollars cannot be accumulated over cruises. They are good for the cruise you are on only. There may be a little date printed on them, or another ship's dollars will be of a different color.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Also, from what I understand, Dam dollars cannot be accumulated over cruises. They are good for the cruise you are on only. There may be a little date printed on them, or another ship's dollars will be of a different color.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I had unused Dam Dollars that I brought along from a previous cruise and they took them along with my new ones. The old ones were yellow and the new blue.

What are these Dam dollars and how do you get them? :confused:

Karen

There are activities marked in the daily program that if you participate in or win an event you get "Dam Dollars".

Some examples are walking, ping pong, shuffle board,basketball, dancing, etc.

I won a golf chipping and received 5 DDollars and everyone who participated got one.

If I remember correctly this is the breakdown:

5- Mug

10- "Dam Ships" water bottle

15- "Dam Ships" hat

20- "Dam Ships" t-shirt

25- "Dam Ships" beach towel

30- Half Zip-front "Dam Ships" Sweatshirt

They also give these items out as prizes for various events throughout the trip and the items are not for purchase in the gift shop.

But be aware they won't always have everything in the size you want it in. There were some ANGRY people when they found out that they only had 2 large sweatshirts and the rest were smalls. But hey it's more about participating in the activities, having fun, and meeting people than it is about the prizes. Isn't it?

Thank you.

There are activities marked in the daily program that if you participate in or win an event you get "Dam Dollars".

Some examples are walking, ping pong, shuffle board,basketball, dancing, etc.

I won a golf chipping and received 5 DDollars and everyone who participated got one.

Technically NO to all of the above....however it's worth a try to try and sneak them through on your next ship....but what the heck, if you want to play a real joke, go to office max, print up 50,000 and drop them in the room door slots of everyone on you next ship...the rec staff will freak !!!!!

Wouldn't that be a great April Fool's joke!!:D :D

We had a lot of fun collecting dam dollars last Oct. on the Rotterdam by participating in many of the activities. We between the 2 of us got 125 dam dollars, which could be cashed in for about 1/2 hour on the last afternoon of the cruise. Our take: 2 sweat shirts @35 each, 2 T shirts @20 each, 1 cap @15.

The dollars are not supposed to be transferrable to other cruises, but it doesn't hurt to try.

We had a lot of fun collecting dam dollars last Oct. on the Rotterdam by participating in many of the activities. Between the 2 of us we collected 125 dollars and cashed them in during the 1/2 hour they set aside on the last afternoon of the cruise. Our take: 2 heavy sweatshirts @35 each, 2 T shrits @20 each, 1 cap @15.

The dam dollars are not supposed to be transferrable to other cruises, but it doesn't hurt to try.

They seem to have different amounts of dam dollars for the prizes on different cruises. On the 7 day Alaska cruise the amounts were lower than on longer cruises.

We think that the best bargain is the half zip sweatshirt - they go in the washer and dryer and are very comfortable. We outfitted the whole family in these shirts and they all wear them often. I don't care for the dam on the front so I sewed decals over the word.

We also like to collect a mug from each cruise and found that they were welcome gifts to the folks back home - they hold the heat well.

You can get prizes playing trivia - mugs, magnalights, umbrellas, hats, luggage straps, cameras etc. Unless the cut-back genie has been at work again.

Lindsay - I bet they had a lot more sweatshirts in the back - they warned us to get in line early at redemption time so some waited an hour - and it turned out that there were lots of every size available.

I had unused Dam Dollars that I brought along from a previous cruise and they took them along with my new ones. The old ones were yellow and the new blue.

Okay, then I stand corrected. The woman on my Amsterdam cruise last January told me they could not be carried over. That's why I just gave them to her when I saw I didn't have enough to redeem them for anything. Obviously, she either didn't know what she was talking about, or the rule changed.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Technically NO to all of the above....however it's worth a try to try and sneak them through on your next ship....but what the heck, if you want to play a real joke, go to office max, print up 50,000 and drop them in the room door slots of everyone on you next ship...the rec staff will freak !!!!!

LOL ... if you only knew what color and design they were going to be on your particular ship ... like if you had a friend sailing a few weeks before you who could bring one home ... you could actually do this. LOL ... you're right. The rec staff would go absolutely balistic.

Would be funny, though.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If I remember correctly this is the breakdown:

5- Mug

10- "Dam Ships" water bottle

15- "Dam Ships" hat

20- "Dam Ships" t-shirt

25- "Dam Ships" beach towel

30- Half Zip-front "Dam Ships" Sweatshirt

Maybe they changed it since my January 2006 cruise, but that sure wasn't the breakdown on that cruise. I think the minimum item was like $20 Dam Dollars. I had about eleven, if I recall, and couldn't get a "Dam" thing with it. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Maybe they changed it since my January 2006 cruise, but that sure wasn't the breakdown on that cruise. I think the minimum item was like $20 Dam Dollars. I had about eleven, if I recall, and couldn't get a "Dam" thing with it. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

The "prices" I listed were from a 10 day trip in November of 2006. Juanita462 said that the prices probably change based on the length of the trip. Obviously you don't have as many chances to earn the Dam Dollars on a 7 day trip so things would have to be cheaper. From your signature it looks like you were on a 30 day trip back in 1/06 so that is probably why things were worth more Dam Dollars.

We have always been told that the dam dollars don't carry over from one cruise to the next - we have always given our extras away - think we will save them next time and try using again just to see what they say.

On our 7 day cruise mugs were 5, but on longer cruise they were 10.

The half zip sweatshirts were 25 but on longer they were 30. So the values change according to the length of the cruise.

Archived