Mystic Tan or Airbrush tan?

mfp_iowa

We leave Friday afternoon for our 7-day Celebrity Cruise that departs Sunday. I'm from cold/snowy Iowa, with lilly-white skin. I don't tan in the sun (just burn), and don't really want to do the tanning bed thing. Need to get a tan Thursday night or Friday morning!

I tried a "mystic tan" a few years ago before going to Disney. It's the only time in my life I really looked tan. It didn't look so great around my feet, and when it started to wear off, it came off unevenly in ugly patches, but by then I was back in Iowa under winter clothes so no one knew! My theory? Tan fat looks better on me than the white fat.

For this trip, a friend suggested airbrush tanning. I'm a little freaked about doing it mostly naked with someone trying to reach all my parts, but I'm sure they've seen over 40 yr old fat ladies before! If you've tried both, which did you like better? Did one last longer than the other?

Do you use self-tanner to try to "keep" it longer while you're on the cruise? It would be a shame if it would all wear off by mid-way thru the cruise. Will the T-pool on the ship make it go faster?!

Thanks for your help!!!

Francie (the first time cruiser)

Thanks for posting that website, Derf.

My husband and I have been going for a few sessions in the tanning beds. We used the beds for our last cruise and we've started sessions again for this one...but I'm never comfortable going because it's SO bad for our skin, I know. But we both need color!!! We have a Mystic Tan salon about 50 miles from our house and I think we're going to quit the tanning beds and start doing Mystic Tan when we want to tan. We only go in for five minutes in the beds each session because it tans really fast....other customers go in for 15 minutes or longer in those things....I don't know how they do it. :eek: In five minutes, I have a tan line!!!

I was worried that the Mystic Tan would come out all splotchy. I think we're going to try it after our cruise (we're already tan from the beds) and if it comes out too streaky, we'll still be able to hide it under our winter clothes until it fades, lol. But if it comes out well, I'm sure that's what we'll use all summer. :) I've used the at-home spray tan and I never liked the results....I hope this is better.

BTW...mfp...did you exfoliate before you tanned? If you don't get all of the dry/dead skin off before you spray tan, it will streak or wear off unevenly.

I tried the Mystic Tan. All I got was brown stuff in my ears and nose. I couldn't tell I'd even been in there. They said 2 or 3 treatments should do it. But if 2 and 3 were no better than one, why would I waste my money. I use the gradual tan products, like Jergens makes, and have recently found one that Lancome makes that is alot better and smells wonderful. It is a tad more expensive but for the cruise, its worth it

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the mystic tans and the airbrushing tans use the same formula. Someone please correct if you know otherwise. I believe the only difference is the precision of the application (and cost). The great thing about airbrushing is that the can do shading and contouring. Of course, this will only be as good as the tech applying it so get references if you decide to go this route. Why pay more if they cant do any better than a booth.

The booth spray (mystic, etc) tans work great for me, should cost $10-30 depending where you live. Try to get one that has bronzer built into the spray. Not so much for the bronzing but so that you can tell how even the application is. I think the booth fake tans last longer than at home versions.

I use Nair or like product as my hair regrowth takes about a week with those products. Shaving exfoliates a lot of skin so if you can wax, use a creme or any other manner it will be helpful in preserving your fake bake. I then exfoliate with one of the salt or sugar scrubs that contain oil. Then I moisturize as normal and add an extra layer of heavy duty moisturizer to knees, elbows, heels and fingers (any rough areas). By the time I am dressed, out of the house and at the tannig salon the moisturizer has had about an hour to absorb so that it doesnt act as a block to the tanner. I believe mosturizing before helps you just need to make sure it has soaked in. Then I do the mystic tan per the instructions. If I have the time, about 8 hours after the mystic tan, I will add another layer of moisturizer. Dont bathe or shower before 12 hours to give the tan maximum time to develoup (or, if you like the shade you are at, shower sooner). Make sure to moisturize and try not to exfoliate. I have had a fauz tan last 9 days without re-application of product.

If you are going to use a home self tanner, I would suggest using a areosol one with a bronzer (again, so you can see its application). I get the best coverage that way. In order of best to worst (for me) Loreal (great tan color, my fav), Banana Boat (least scent for me, good to great color), Neutrogena (low scent, much more subtle color). I used the Medium variety in all of these. Sometimes I will re apply more frequently to my face. Like if I am going out alot without make up. Because I will have to exfoliate my face. If I am not going out a lot without makeup, I will just use a bronzer on my face to make up for the extra exfoliation.

Some tanning salons have a steaming/ moisturizing capsule (I cant remember it's name) that you can use (pre tan) that is supossed to extend the life of the Mystic tan. I had a coupon so I tried it once. It was neat, relaxing (had a massager, colored lights, aroma therapy) but I dont believe that my mystic tan lasted any longer that time. I will do it when it is a freebie but I wont pay for it.

Oh, and after I apply (at home or booth) I use an alcohol pad to go over finger and toe nails and take a cotton swab to my eyebrows (light in color). I also run a tissue over my hairline to ensure that is blended. If you have darker hair this may not be a concern?

My name is AprilF and I am a lotion addict. My lotion of choice Creamy Coconut by Bath and Body Works. I will also use CoCo Cababa (BBW) or Coconut Lime Verbena (BBW) or really anything tropical scented if I am in need of a fix.

I am one of those people who only turn different shades of white, regardless of how much sun I get. I've tried every tanning product and method on the market and have found (for me) that the self-tanning towelettes. work best for me.

Two years ago I tried a Mystic tan just days prior to my Caribbean cruise and I must say it looked amazing! I did lots of pre-treatment moisturizing and exfoliating and I was sooooo happy to actually look like I'd been in the tropical sun for years! Had I not gone near salt water, I'm sure the tan would have held up for my entire 7-day cruise and then some. Unfortunately it began to come off in spotches, the first areas were on the backs of my legs in a pattern directly related to the lounge chair I was sitting in (not hogging!:p ) From that time on, more and more blotches began to appear until I finally stood in the shower and literally scrubbed myself raw to get the rest of the "tan" off. Lesson learned...don't go near salt water with a Mystic tan!

As for the towettes - there are several brands available that work well. Just now, I can't remember exactly which brand I have packed away with my cruise stuff, but as I recall it was in gold-colored packets. Loreal, perhaps?

Anyhow, I did the same pre-"tanning" procedure...lots of moisturizing and exfoliating and followed the directions to a T. I wore latex-free gloves when using the towelettes and they worked great on keeping my hands "tan-free." The beautiful "tan" I got was even, with no streaks and nothing at all to suggest that it wasn't the real thing! And it didn't come off/rub off in salt water!

I used two of the towettes just prior to my last cruise and took two more packets (and pf gloves) with me to use during the cruise. All in all I probably spent a total of an hour's preparation/application time and less than $10 (box of 5 towelettes was approx. $20 and I only used 4 of them) for the best looking "tan" I've ever had!

Cindy

Archived