2 days in NOLA

HOSKI

We will be staying 2 nights post-cruise in NOLA and I'm trying to budget and plan. We are staying out aways at the LaQuinta-Crowder and have a rental car thru Hertz. Family of three includes a 5 yr old. Here is my plan.

Thur: off ship and take shuttle to airport to pick up rental car (pre-buying round trip shuttle tickets)

drive towards hotel and visit the Nature Center (cost $13 for family), check-in and check out the hotel. Head downtown for an early dinner and maybe a little nighttime look around then back to hotel.

Fri: cont. breakfast at hotel and head to downtown for the day. Do the childrens' museum ($24 for family), visit Jackson square and hang out and walk around for a little shopping, meals downtown including dinner than to the hotel for the night.

Will we stay occupied? Does this sound right? Don't want to overschedule or spend. What am I missing and/or won't work with this plan?

Hey Hoski. Your plan is good, and will keep you plenty occupied! Once you're in the Quarter, time will pass much too quickly - so much to see. Jax Brewery Bldg. has a huge lot right next to it - it's approx. $6-8 per day, not sure exactly. It's on Decatur - almost directly across the street from Jackson Square - your main point of interest in the Quarter. Oh yes, you might want to go up the steps by Jax and take a good look at the river, a lovely sight. I always go up there and sit awhile.

I think you're doing really well with your plans, and you certainly get an A for effort, girl! Whatever y'all do, DON'T miss going to Cafe du Monde for the beignets and cafe au lait. (They have milk and chocolate milk for your little one.) She will LOVE having that powdered sugar all over her face.:D

Have you decided where you will have lunch and dinner in the Quarter? Think Gumbo Shop! Anything else I can help with, you KNOW I will!:)

the reason that we will have a rental car and have to deal with the parking issue is because I am married. Need I say more? Hubby thought we had so much time in NOLA that we needed a car to go see other things. Now I just need to plan for it.

Cotton: Can I pick your brain? Do you have a suggest of a lunch place between the airport and where we are staying at LaQuinta - Crowder? I'm looking for fried chicken or seafood. We are planning on hitting the Gumbo shop for lunch or dinner one day. We may also get done too late at the Nature Center thursday to drive back to town for dinner so maybe 2 suggestions for places by where we are staying.

I've met your husband, I understand. But at least with a car if someone gets sick it is faster to get back to the hotel than wander aimlessly following Jeff. Remember finding our way back after Carlos n Charlies I was so much worse than that for our trip to Nola that Jeff walked me 2 miles along the street car tracks til we got back to our hotel in the Garden District. Maybe daughter would want a street car ride to add to one of your days. Have fun see ya soon.

Angie

Hey dinner date for Sept. 24th, you have met my husband and you completely understand. Just be grateful you didn't leave Carlos 'n Charlie's with Brian and me. We lost my DH along the way and sang up the pier after I threw my I.D. at the armed guard. That is the last time I go to C 'n C with you, well accept maybe next time.

I have budgeted to take DD on the street car. Last time we were in NOLA as a port that is all she got to do. I rode her up and down till about 9 p.m. I'm looking forward to a longer stay this time and to eat. I want fried chicken and seafood. Last time I had the fried chicken and that was the best part.

I get all of my NOLA answers from Cotton. She's great and I think I'll just adopt her. We'll have to get her on a cruise with the two of us one day.

Good news!.......Cotton is adoptable!!! :D

Let me think on where to eat on way back to LaQuinta. I'll get back to you tomorrow (after this chardonnay leaves my bod.):rolleyes: Of course, the BEST fried chicken in N'awlins is POPEYE's. About a zillion Popeye's places all over the city. Just drive thru and take it back to the motel....or eat there.

Tomorrow is another day..............Stay tuned.

Ah iz no snobunny.:D Went to Vail once, broke my foot, too cold, no thx.

OK, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what's on Crowder Blvd. Haven't been in that area in awhile. I'll still be thinking, and will check with a coupla friends down there. I'd ask my daughter, but she never leaves the Quarter. You still have plenty of time.....I'll find some great place for y'all, never fear.

There's simply way too much to do in New Orleans that you're not going to even dent the surface in two days anyway. That said, since you have a rental car, I'd advise driving an hour down the 'River Road' to Vacherie and taking in Oak Alley and Laura Plantations. Oak Alley, especially -- besides its remarkable beauty and long history -- has been the location of several movies/miniseries: "Interview With a Vampire", "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte", "The Long, Hot Summer", "Primary Colors".

NewCruizer1: I've been to Oak Alley. Did it a few years ago as a shore tour. I realize we are not going to see everything in two days, I'm just trying to plan to make the best use of those two days but don't want us rushing from one place to the other and not enjoying it. I don't want to waste meals at places that are best just skipped. I would love to find a few reasonably priced family places for chicken and also seafood.

As for touring places, I wanted some family activities and time to just walk around. This is why I planned the Nature Center one day and childrens' museum the next and figured the rest of the time will be for exploring. We've seen Bourbon St. and that's not really what we are looking for this trip.

I'm a history buff but and love the south but that is not suited to a five year old. My husband would love to spend the entire time at Harrah's but that won't happen this trip either.

Archived