Is a room with a balcony safe?

momof1cutie

This may seem like a silly question but we got a cat 11 suite on the Carnival Elation and it has a balcony. I keep having dreams that my 3 year old will fall off the boat! Are the balcony room safe for a young child? Of course we will never leave her unattended but I wish these dreams will go away! We are one month away from sailing on our first cruise and I'm worried enough about what she will eat since she has food allergies. I just wish this balcony fear would go away!

We had a balcony on the Carnival Spirit in 2001, when my kids were 2, 5, and 8. It wasn't a problem at all! The door to the balcony was quite hard to open, and closed automatically. I'm pretty sure there was a lock on it too. The kids couln't get out there unless we took them out there. Also, the "rail" was flat plexiglass - no bars to squeeze through or climb on - and it was high enough that nobody would fall over by accident.

I was mostly concerned about my wild 5 year old son, not my (relatively) quiet 2 year old daughter, but once we got on the ship and I saw how safe things were, I wasn't worried at all.

Sherry

Carnival Spirit - July 11, 2001

ok... if it makes you feel any better, I have an 15 year old son who is way taller than me, and I was convinced at some point on our first cruise he was going to sleep walk out to the balcony, or just fall over board from any point on the ship. Nope - didn't happen ! no worries !

*** Jodie ***

"is it happy hour yet ?"

We have a 2 yr old and we just got off ncl wind w/ balcony- we had the same bad thoughts- but once you are there for a while you realize that nothing could happen. I made sure the door was shut if we were about to doze off...we also put a suitcase in front of the door just for the heck of it. The door did not lock- but it was probably too heavy to open by themselves.We also did not let him sit on the outside chairs.

im on the victory in a few weeks with a balcony and 3 kids 2, 4, and 7 and have been having fears ever since i was upgraded to a balcony suite!!!Just make sure the chirs are not outside - if you are not going to beright there

• 4 weeks later...

We've had 2 balcony cabins with our kids (5 and 7). We also had the same fear.

Close the curtains and lock the door at night. During the day, our kids were told not to go out there without us.

don't worry, they'll be fine. They would have to climb up on the table and literally jump to go overboard.

Ecstasy,E.Caribbean Oct.1993

Holiday,W.Caribbean Jan. 1995

Festivale, S.Caribbean Feb.1996

Sov. of the Seas, Bahamas Jan.1998

Ecstasy, Bahamas Mar. 2000

Victory, Canada, Jun. 2001

Sensation, W. Caribbean, Jun.2002

Paradise, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2003

Triumph, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2004

ships23image1_th.gif

Ship.gif

Our boys were climbers by the time they were 2, so we had the furniture removed from the balcony when they were very small. I know we were with them but all it takes is a couple of seconds with a quick climber for the child to be standing on one of the chairs or the table. But don't worry about the balcony, they will be just fine.

Tracie

Archived