desperate passport question needs answer......

queenofdasea

has anyone anyone cruised since jan. 07 and did NOT use a passport? how difficult was it getting off and off the ship? I realize that it not REQUIRED but highly recommended but I just need some feedback as to what i may encounter if I dont have one...Please help!! I'm taking 4 kids and trying to fit approx. $500 extra in my budget for passports for us all but was hoping i could travel just once more with it and then get it before this year ends so that we're straight for all travel next year.....

From what I gathered, it is just as before when using Birth Cert. Just show the b.c. and your ID and that is it. Now, the problem lies in if something were to happen whil out of the country and you need to fly back, you cannot without a passport. We figured this time, if we are stuck in Mexico, we can drive into California and get home. That is our worst case scenario. We did not get them for this year.

We are in the process of getting our for our April trip. I was our understanding that they are nor required. Whether they are or are not, we plan on getting them to be safe. The $500 cost is tough but could benefit us in the long run.

exactly as SunnieD said :)

queenofdasea, if you gto to www.carnival.com, on the homepage you have detailed & updated passportt info.

My first travels were back in '71 and I have always and without fail used my passport.

Ever pondered what you would if something happens to you while in a foreign country,

(and let's face it, most cruises in our neck of the woods visit countries that are considered 3rd world!!!!!) without having the protection afforded by a US passport. What

good do you think a driver's license and a birth certificate will do you or your kids in

such a situation? Just food for thought.

I will get off the box now! lol ;)

We applied for ours for piece of mind alone. It takes about 4-6 weeks bedore you have to pay addional $$$ for expediting. Don't think about it too long. We applied for ours on Jan 2nd and still have not received. According to the website, we should be getting around Feb 11th.

Just returned from Legend sailing 1/27/07. I did not have a passport and had no problems boarding or leaving the ship. A passport is required for air travel into the US so if you miss the ship while in a foriegn port you will have to contact the appropriate authorities to be allowed back into the country. That would be the only time you might have a problem. However, as mentioned here elsewhere, I don't think we should expect to see homeless US tourists sleeping on the beaches in the caribbean.

Happy sailing!:)

If it is not required, it is not required, don't worry about it and spend the money on excursions, legislation is hoping to have a lower cost alternative with the Passcard...:)

Flying back without a passport is a minor hassle, but the State department is well aware of citizens that may need to return without one, and if you go to their web, they even state as much.

...and for Captain Smith, having a passport or not having one in a third world country has never made a difference in history. If bad people are going to do things to you, I doubt they give a rat's butt whether you have one or not. As an american citizen you have no more rights with or without a passport in a foreign country, it just may expedite your travel, but again, if you run into bad people, do you really think they will ask to see your passport and then let you off if you have one:confused:

If it is not required, it is not required, don't worry about it and spend the money on excursions, legislation is hoping to have a lower cost alternative with the Passcard...:)

Flying back without a passport is a minor hassle, but the State department is well aware of citizens that may need to return without one, and if you go to their web, they even state as much.

...and for Captain Smith, having a passport or not having one in a third world country has never made a difference in history. If bad people are going to do things to you, I doubt they give a rat's butt whether you have one or not. As an american citizen you have no more rights with or without a passport in a foreign country, it just may expedite your travel, but again, if you run into bad people, do you really think they will ask to see your passport and then let you off if you have one:confused:

All of the sudden we're less of a citizen without a passport???? I agree it is not required and the State Department isn't that niave to think that someone somewhere is going to miss the ship at a port. They are prepared for it.

If a cheaper alternative does come to reality I can't wait to see the posts on these boards.

Your response and your logic has me turning in my watery grave with laughter, I guess

I will let you believe that I stand corrected! LMAO

From what I gathered, it is just as before when using Birth Cert. Just show the b.c. and your ID and that is it. Now, the problem lies in if something were to happen whil out of the country and you need to fly back, you cannot without a passport. We figured this time, if we are stuck in Mexico, we can drive into California and get home. That is our worst case scenario. We did not get them for this year.

Don't you need a passport for land crossings into the US from mexico?

Okay, I've been reading all the "legal" jargon for not having passports for sea travel this year and that you need a "certified" birth certificate... and it states having a raised seal... well... my birth certificate that has been around almost as long as me... has all the lettering and "border" raised, but the actual seal is not... I'm assuming that every state has to do it the same way now adays and actually raise the seal?

I'm definitely not getting a passport for my June cruise on Liberty, but will get a new birth certif. if needed? Any thoughts?:confused:

The worst problem you could have is missing a sailing. Either from the home port or any stops on the itinerary. Without a passport you could not fly to another country to catch up with the ship. You would have to contact our state dept. and get cleared to fly back to the US. Maybe if you missed the ship in Miami you could fly to San Juan or St Thomas without a passport.

Simple [not cheap] answer. Get a passport.

Dan

Just returned from Legend sailing 1/27/07. I did not have a passport and had no problems boarding or leaving the ship. A passport is required for air travel into the US so if you miss the ship while in a foriegn port you will have to contact the appropriate authorities to be allowed back into the country. That would be the only time you might have a problem. However, as mentioned here elsewhere, I don't think we should expect to see homeless US tourists sleeping on the beaches in the caribbean.

Happy sailing!:)

I would not mind being homeless on a beach in the Caribbean, after all its a great excuse to miss work!

Our certified birth certificates do not have raised seals. They were purchased from the Vital Records office and are on a watermarked paper. They say "Certificate of Live Birth" at the top. Ours were just $7, I'd order a new one if you are concerned about it, one less thing to worry about :)

I am not taking my passport on our cruise next week. I need it for an important trip this summer and I am worried about losing it and having to buy a new one. I am however going to take the number, I am hoping that if something bad happens they can look me up.

Kim

Okay, I've been reading all the "legal" jargon for not having passports for sea travel this year and that you need a "certified" birth certificate... and it states having a raised seal... well... my birth certificate that has been around almost as long as me... has all the lettering and "border" raised, but the actual seal is not... I'm assuming that every state has to do it the same way now adays and actually raise the seal?

I'm definitely not getting a passport for my June cruise on Liberty, but will get a new birth certif. if needed? Any thoughts?:confused:

Well our travel agent did tell us if you are going to get a passport do it this year because the price is going up in 2008 to around $300 per passport! I believe her because they are also raising the price for citizenship from $300 something to like $900. So you may as well get them while you can and they are $100!

vitalsigns.com is a safe secure way to order your birth certificate; my original BC was certified from aUSAF hospital in New Mexico; but is no longer considered good because it is not "state certified"; I paid my monies and received my "new" BC is 2 business days; CAUTION...make sure someone is available to sign otherwise they will not deliver... I had to track mine down and have it delivered at work

Happy Trails to All...hope this helped

JoEllan

Once you get on board; you lock it in the safe. You're not requred to carry it with you. :)

Our certified birth certificates do not have raised seals. They were purchased from the Vital Records office and are on a watermarked paper. They say "Certificate of Live Birth" at the top. Ours were just $7, I'd order a new one if you are concerned about it, one less thing to worry about :)

I am not taking my passport on our cruise next week. I need it for an important trip this summer and I am worried about losing it and having to buy a new one. I am however going to take the number, I am hoping that if something bad happens they can look me up.

Kim

Okay, I've been reading all the "legal" jargon for not having passports for sea travel this year and that you need a "certified" birth certificate... and it states having a raised seal...

So long as your BC is one issued by the state/county of your birth and has an official signature on it, you are fine. A BC issued by the hospital (which often has cute footprints and such on it) is NOT OK for proof of citizenship purposes. If you have doubts about yours, I'd suggest taking it to your local courthouse or post office where they issue passports. If yours will suffice for getting a passport, it will suffice for the cruise line. If yours isn't good, you can order a good on online. Takes about a week to get it.

Well our travel agent did tell us if you are going to get a passport do it this year because the price is going up in 2008 to around $300 per passport! I believe her because they are also raising the price for citizenship from $300 something to like $900. So you may as well get them while you can and they are $100!

The rate increase for citizenship is well known and has been written about in some major publications. There is nothing I can find on any increase in passport costs and I would think a major travel publication would have heard about it. I am not saying an increase is not going to happen but the last one was in 2006 and it was twelve dollars to help offset the cost of developing a more secure passport. I think a 300% increase would be news worthy.

On the flip side if the U.S. developes a alternate passcard the projected cost is around $50.

If I could get my entire family outfitted with passports I would. That is quite an expense with 5 of us. I plan on getting my DH and myself passports this year and the kids next year. That is why I am able to take this kids later this year on one more cruise before the new regulations. We may not get a cruise in next year. If they do go forward with the new passcards, I would be thrilled. That would save a lot of money.

Archived