Statendam Ousted For Big Princess Beast

Chivalrygirl

Poor little Statendam has been playing second fiddle or the "Little Black Caboose" with the Ugly Princess Sapphire on the New Zealand coast for the last few days, seems that big brother is getting the better of her. Who ever said that big was beautiful? She has had to change the port days and sea days around in and out of Tauranga. Last night she came into Auckland at mid-night and had to take inadequate berth facilities. Bedlam in the port area this morning as we waited to greet our friend Angie on her last visit to our city. This city is not accustomed to two large cruise ships in port together, so facilities are stretched to the limit. Obviously taxis were at the ultimate premium this morning, 2 cruise ships plus the usual Friday morning rush hour. I had to grin as I watched a long line of HAL passengers in a line in the open air waiting for taxis when a big shower of rain came over them. :eek: I hopped under the security canvas at the wharf entrance, and politely told them I intended to share the comfort of their cover while I waited to greet my dear friend. Still getting squally showers so I am wondering how embarkation has gone this afternoon.

Auckland is set to host 11 cruise ships over the week, I don't think this has every happened before. Tomorrow we welcome the QM2 to our port on her way to meet up with the QE2 in Sydney. My city plans to farewell the QM2 tomorrow night at 10 30 pm with a huge fireworks display. However the whole port tomorrow will have a "no go" area, both on land and sea, nobody will get anywhere near the super giant. :mad:

I am feeling very sad as I farewelled the Statendam today and farewelled our special friend on her way home to the Philippines, sadly she was only able to get just a couple of hours off the ship so we only had time for breakfast and a quick visit to one vantage point overlooking our beautiful Waitemata harbour. Still for the three of us, better that than nothing.

Now all there is left to say but bon voyage, god speed and a very safe passage Statendam on your way back to the USA, via Australia and the East. We will miss your four weekly visits to our town.

.[/font]

Now all there is left to say but bon voyage' date=' god speed and a very safe passage Statendam on your way back to the USA, via Australia and the East. We will miss your four weekly visits to our town. [/size']

She'll be back to see you in October, for the next spring/summer season down under.......Val, did anyone ever tell you that you have the gift of gab?;) :)

Karin

bumping my post out of oblivion, because I don't want Val to think I don't care about what goes on there in New Zealand.:)

Thank you so much Karin, and I know you do care about us at the bottom of the world. I ain't got the gift of the gab, I just trying to educate the masses ;)

Yep I know the ship will be back, but my friend Angie will not be with her :( Such is life eh!

Thank you so much Karin, and I know you do care about us at the bottom of the world. I ain't got the gift of the gab, I just trying to educate the masses ;)

Yep I know the ship will be back, but my friend Angie will not be with her :( Such is life eh!

Send the STATENDAM back to Sydney!!!! One more visit... 2nd March. Will be visiting just to say farewell to the gang.

Ruth and I had our 'ship day' yesterday. AMSTERDAM arrived for a two day call on her World Cruise. Lots of old faces to see. We went aboard before noon and came off just after 7 pm. A good day!

QM2 here on Tuesday. We have an invitation to the VIP dinner on board in the Todd English. :cool: Board around 5 pm, dinner and then fireworks at 8.40 then disembark before she sails at 11 pm.

Stephen

Send the STATENDAM back to Sydney!!!! One more visit... 2nd March. Will be visiting just to say farewell to the gang.

Ruth and I had our 'ship day' yesterday. AMSTERDAM arrived for a two day call on her World Cruise. Lots of old faces to see. We went aboard before noon and came off just after 7 pm. A good day!

QM2 here on Tuesday. We have an invitation to the VIP dinner on board in the Todd English. :cool: Board around 5 pm, dinner and then fireworks at 8.40 then disembark before she sails at 11 pm.

Stephen

Stephen what can one say, I am just lost for words :p

Cheers

Val

If I didn't know better Karin I would say Cap'n Card was indulging in one-upmanship :D

Somethings just make ya wanna puke!;)

You want me to get an invite to the QM2... "the hottest ticket in town" according to the Sydney Morning Hearald... and not say anything? Yeah right! :D

Don't worry gang... as I've said before.... I prefer the blue ships with the white funnels!

Stephen

Chivalrygirl --Pleased to hear you mention Angie's name. We sailed with her in the Ocean Bar at least 10 years ago on one of the "S" ships. Her friend Gary was also there and he is now a passenger relations person on the ships. At the time everyone considered her the "expert" in making the lovely animals from the napkins and also doing art work on the Dutch hats as souvenirs. Gary told us she had left HAL for awhile but glad she is back. We do about 3 HAL trips a year so maybe we will see her sometime -- our next is the Rotterdam in June to the Norwegian fjords. Thanks for your report -- we had just left the Amsterdam in Ft. Lauderdale before she started on the World Cruise -- that would be too many days for us!!!

Poor little Statendam has been playing second fiddle or the "Little Black Caboose" with the Ugly Princess Sapphire on the New Zealand coast for the last few days, seems that big brother is getting the better of her. I had to grin as I watched a long line of HAL passengers in a line in the open air waiting for taxis when a big shower of rain came over them. :eek: ........ . Still getting squally showers so I am wondering how embarkation has gone this afternoon.

I know I'm sometimes dense but why were you grinning that pax were getting soaking wet in the rain? I don't get 'the joke'.

Poor little Statendam has been playing second fiddle or the "Little Black Caboose" with the Ugly Princess Sapphire on the New Zealand coast for the last few days, seems that big brother is getting the better of her. I had to grin as I watched a long line of HAL passengers in a line in the open air waiting for taxis when a big shower of rain came over them. :eek: ........ . Still getting squally showers so I am wondering how embarkation has gone this afternoon.

I know I'm sometimes dense but why were you grinning that pax were getting soaking wet in the rain? I don't get 'the joke'.

Sorry you don't get the joke, then I sometimes don't get your jokes either.

Actually it was only a little shower, a bit of a dampner.

You want me to get an invite to the QM2... "the hottest ticket in town" according to the Sydney Morning Hearald... and not say anything? Yeah right! :D

Don't worry gang... as I've said before.... I prefer the blue ships with the white funnels!

Stephen

Enjoy your special day. We will be thinking of you both next Tuesday afternoon. What a wonderful spectacle it will be with the fireworks and the beautiful QM2 at Circular Quay with the bridge in the background. I wish we were up there to see it. :)

Jennie

Archived