Seward Second Day

taxjam

Our cruise (HAL Ryndam) disembarks in Seward on August 12th. We are doing the Renown 6 hour fjord tour that day (using toursaver coupon) and staying overnight in Seward. We are considering staying in Seward the next day until 6PM and getting the train to Anchorage on the 13th; we are looking for recommendations to fill the 13th to 6PM. Alternatively, we could take the Leopard bus to Anchorage earlier or rent a car from Hertz for the day (but it would cost $200 with drop off in Anchorage). Any suggestions? On the 14th AM we pick up a more reasonably priced renatal car and head for Denali.

Our cruise (HAL Ryndam) disembarks in Seward on August 12th. We are doing the Renown 6 hour fjord tour that day (using toursaver coupon) and staying overnight in Seward. We are considering staying in Seward the next day until 6PM and getting the train to Anchorage on the 13th; we are looking for recommendations to fill the 13th to 6PM. Alternatively, we could take the Leopard bus to Anchorage earlier or rent a car from Hertz for the day (but it would cost $200 with drop off in Anchorage). Any suggestions? On the 14th AM we pick up a more reasonably priced renatal car and head for Denali.

Haven't been yet but I've found many suggestions for things to do in Seward on this Board - that's why we're staying 2 days. You can visit Exit Glacier, http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm; Seavey's Ididaride http://www.ididaride.com/ if you are interested in a dog sled tour (in a cart); or Godwin's Glacier Tours, if you are interested in doing a real sled dog adventure on the glacier: http://www.alaskadogsled.com/; or visit the Alaska Sealife Center http://www.alaskasealife.org/, We are visiting the Sealife Center and also signed up for a "Behind the Scenes" tour, which costs a little extra but looks very interesting. There is also, from what I understand, ample opportunities to catch fish, if you are interested in that.

You need to do your homework and determine what is of interested to you?? http://www.sewardak.org There is Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs, fishing, glaicer helicopter landings/glacier dog sledding etc etc etc.

But frankly $200/day for a car is insignificant in that it may allow you touring on your own and make better use of time on the way back to Anchorage??

Myself- having 3 days in Seward??? I'd head out to Kenai fjords again. :)

Hi,

We ended the land portion of our Alasken experience in Seward (Edgewater Inn), Aug 3rd & 4th, 2006. There is plenty to do if you decide to stay a second day.

As preiously mentioned the Sea Life Center is worth the 1-1-1/2 hrs. it will take to go through it. If you go to the center in the a.m., when you leave ask someone directions to the Ranting Raven Bakery)Its within easy walking distance). Their chocolate croissants are excellent!!! Made me go back two days in a row.VGB

Personally I think Exit Glacier is a must. It is an easy walk to the front of the glacier. One of the few, if not only galcier that you will be able to walk to within 30-50 feet of actually touching the glacier itself.

Just a minor note: To get to the glacier you will walk across a dry river bed which requires walking over some gravel and small rocks.

We went on the Godwin helicopter/Dogsled tour on Aug 5th, which was the day we boarded The Summit for our southbound cruise. The tour is fantastic!! If you have any fondness for dogs and the wonders of nature, it will leave you with memories which will last a very long time. The helicopter ride alone was a wonderful experience in itself. Everyone connected with Godwin was courtious and professional. We got the sense that they really wanted to please all the customers. The total time needed from when you leave your lodging to your return is approx. 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. If you don't have a car, they can arrange to either pick you up, or contact your hotel and get them to take you to the airport.

No offense to Mr Seavey's Ididaride operation, or anyone who uses his services, but I could not conceive of having dogs push a sled on wheels through the woods being anywhere near the Godwin experience. But then again, its not intended to be.

With that being said, please note that the Godwin Tour is much more expensive.

Here are a few additional thoughts which might be of interest:

If you want to go whale watching/Wildlife Excursion, I'd suggest you look into Alaska Saltwater Lodge website. They are a quality operation, boat is in great shape and they only take a max of 12-15 people per excursion, which I believe now runs approx $140 PP. Tour runs approximately till 5pm, so I don't know if it is appropriate for your timetable.

To see some salmon:

If you cross the street from the HarborMaster, there is a bakery to your left(Might even be called the Habor bakery). To the left of the bakery is a large municiple parking lot. Walk to the far end of the lot, onto the small dirt area and you will be at a small water channel (approx. 15-30 ft across). When you look into the water there are usually numerous salmon resting there waiting for the right monent to continue their remarkable journey upstream. We counted approx. 60 salmon the day we stopped by.

For lunch:

The Greek Island's is a place to consider which isn't pricey. It is on the right side on one of the side streets across from the HaborMaster. I don't remember the street, but if you ask in one of the shops, I'm sure they will tell you. We had lunch there, portions were large and food was tasty. It was crowded with locals, which is always a good sign.

For Dinner:

If you decide to dine before leaving for Anchorage, Two well known spots on the water are Ray's & Chinooks. They are basically next to each other, and when facing the HarborMaster, they will be to your left. We went to Chinooks and were very satisfied. Fish was excellent.

If you do go to the Sea Life Center, here is a way to walk off the chocolate croissant that you had at The Ranting Raven.:)

Walk back down to the Sea Life Center and turn right and walk along the road the that center is on. Approximately 1/3 mile you will come to a fairly impressive water spillway on the right side of the road. It is approx. 150 foot high and made for a nice photo op.

If interested, a have a number of our Alasken photo albums posted on www.snapfish.com. There are albums of our Godwin Tour as well as Exit Glacier. If you'd like to view them, go to snapfish and log-in with the following: User Name: apep33@aol.com

Password: Alaska3weeks

Once logged-in, click on the "Go To Photos" button, which will bring you to all the albums.

Hope this helps a little, have a Great Time !!!

Corgiguy

Archived