so many questions...REGAL Princess to Alaska 8/4/04

cashrink

We are 2 adults, a 4 1/2 year old, and a 20 month old. Do I need a stroller? We are all in the same room on the inside. Should I bring rails? Will it fit a pack n play? Do I need carseats? I don't even know what to begin packing. What about formal nights? Are they welcome? Do they have dress requirements?

Thanks so much
Monica

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Regal Princess to Alaska 8/04

That is a lot of questions! Let's see . . .

1. Stroller: I would say definitely yes, unless you would prefer a baby backpack or other child carryinf device. Bring an umbrella stroller that will collapse nicely in your room and be easily maneuverable on the ship.

2. I don't know what you mean by rails, so I can't help you here.

3. The ship will provide you with a pack and play for your youngest. It'll probably be a tight squeeze, maybe you could collapse it during the day.

4. Formal nights: your children are welcome in the dining room every night, including formal night. The children should be dressed up for formal night, but unless you want to, you don't have to go to huge efforts. Some people go all out and some people wear Sunday best. As people have said elsewhere on these boards, the entire ship's population would prefer a happy baby/child who is less dressed up than ideal than a crabby baby child in itchy lace.

5. General packing - I'm not sure if you are talking about packing for yourselves or packing strictly for the kids. Alaska can be tricky to pack for. For day, bring a variety of clothes including shorts and jeans, and a jacket, preferably waterproof, for everyone. You'd be very lucky cruisers if you got a completely rain-free voyage. For evening, it's a little easier, just follow the dress code for the line. The ship is the same temperature whether it's 60 outside or 80.

Days until my next cruise:
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;20;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Renaissance R1, July 2000: Greece and Turkey
Radiance of the Seas, July 2002: Alaska
Golden Princess, November 2003: Eastern Caribbean
Grandeur of the Seas, November, 2004: Western Caribbean

If you are talking the rails for the pull out bed--yes, the cruise line supply those. If you have a sofa bed that bed does not have a rail.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

Thanks for the input. I was talking about the rails for the bearths. I'm glad to hear they supply so much! I will bring a umbrella stroller, and I guess I just have to figure out some nice outfits for the nice dinners. I have boys so no worries about Lace!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

We were on the inside cabin. We told our cabin steward to put the 2 beds together, but he put the side tables on either side of the bed the first night. The second night, we told him to put both beds together with one bed against the wall. The 2 side tables were placed against the wall facing the beds. Then the 4 of us (hubby, 21M old, 4YO and I) slept together with our heads towards the wall. Neither hubby and I are really tall, so we were able to sleep that way. Our feet weren't really dangling outside the bed that much. This way, both kids are either against the wall or between us. The beds aren't that far above the floor, so even if they rolled off, it wasn't that bad. We never used the bunk beds above us. When the ship rolls quite a bit, sleeping on the bunks feels really queazy (I didn't try it). It just seems such a hassle to climb on and off the bunk beds, so the the 4 of us just slept on that queen-size combined beds the entire 7 days.

My sister and her hubby brought their 13M old and they combined the bed like we did, but they brought their own pack 'n play. Their baby slept in it fine. But the pack 'n play did take up a lot of the room. My sister had it open the entire stay.

So for you, one boy can sleep in the pack 'n play and the other in bed with you and your hubby.
----

Remember to take advantage of the PC dining (anytime dining) and take your kids there early if they normally had early dinners.
We didn't eat early and the kids were really cranky by 8. So most of the time, I hurrily pack up the dishes I ordered and took them back to my room with my 21M old.

I took both kids to the PC dining rooms every meal. We rarely sat through the entire meal because my 21M old would be too tired to eat or too bored to sit through the entire meal. He likes to roam. So we picked a table near the corner and bring lots of toys and let him play on the floor in the corner. When he started to wander, I take him back to our room.

But if your kids can sit through a meal at home or at a restaurant without too much screaming on your part, then you probably don't have a problem during meals in the ship's dining rooms.

I got my son an outfit with a tie, but at that age, he will only wear what he wants at the time. So he wore socks and his favorite sandals (he refused to put on his good shoes) at the formal dinners. Basically you can dress your child any way you like (or they like) at formal dinners, but I would just put them in their Sunday best or Easter best.

You'll know when your children become restless. If you think your child is bothering other dinners or impeding the service of the wait staff, just bring him outside. In my case, as soon as my son started to get restless, I took him back to our room so other cruisers don't get bothered.

My son has milk and egg allergies so he can only eat in the dining rooms where I can order dishes without sauces. They even have rice bread for him in the morning.

You can always side order fries or broccoli or rice, or whatever is your child's favorite foods in the dining room. Remember to ask for children's menu in the dining rooms.

----------------
Make sure your kids nap well on the cruise, if they nap at home.
---------
Forget going on tours. I would play it by ear and just do your own tours. Kids are unpredictable. My 21M old wanted me to hold him the entire time we were out walking. So I was carrying him and pushing the stroller. Needless to say, we didn't do much sightseeing. Hindsight, I think he was afraid of unfamiliar surroundings.

At this age, the kids won't appreciate Alaska as much as we do. They don't care about sightseeing either. I would suggest that you and your hubby take turns watching the kids when you are on board so you can explorer the ship individually. If you travel with other family members, then maybe they can babysit your children while you and your hubby go catch an afternoon movie while your children are napping. You can see all the current movies in your rooms anyway.

Try to explain to your 4.5YO what is going to happen on a cruise. My almost 4 didn't know what to expect because I didn't know what to expect either, so she was a little clingy and actually lost 1 lb after we got off the ship!

If your 4.5YO is used to preschool surroundings, enroll him in the kid's club on board the first night. Check the program for the time of registration. Don't be late for that, they'll lock their doors to kid's club if you are one minute late.

Check each day's programs for kids and adults the previous day and plan what you are going to do.
-----------
I took our Combi Convenience stroller with us and it fit perfectly in our closet folded. If your 20M old likes to sit and sleep in the stroller, bring it.
--------------
You'll need carseats if you are going to have any kind of car transport from the airport to the ship. But if it's a big bus, then you don't need carseats.
--------------
Hubby and I enjoy the fact that we don't have to worry what we are going to eat when we cruise and we don't have to carry our luggage everywhere. We are going to Alaska end of August and we don't plan to do any tours except getting off the ship at each city and just walk around. If it rains, we'll stay on board.
-------
We plan to pack turtle neck cotton tops (you can get them at the Gap), a winter coat (Los Angeles standard), sweaters, sweat tops and regular pants for our kids. Even on board, with the air conditioning (or heating), it's still better to dress the kids in layers.
-------
Remember to take a formal family portrait on board. You can just use that for your Xmas card this year. It'll save you time and energy to have to doll up everyone in November and you'll have professional photographers to take the photos for you. The photographers will be everywhere--when you get off the ships, during formal dinners, and in the Atrium before formal dinners, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to take family portraits.

It's a little costly at $10 per photo, but it's worth it. I went to one of those Kodak kiosk and made 9 copies from the original for $4.99 (I had a coupon). You can figure out ways to make that photo into multiple copies for cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

8/28/04 Diamond Princess to Alaska
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
9/27/03 Star Princess to Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;9;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I'm going to print your feedback because it is so informative! Thank you for taking the time to write it all out!!! I think you have very sound advice. We are lucky to have my parents on board for a little break once in a while. We are lucky that we are not talking a plane.. We are driving up to san francisco from L.A. and the regal returns to l.a. Do you think I will need a carseat for any excursions? We are planning on taking the train in skagway.

Just chimeing in with a few more suggestions:

Walmart (at least in Northern Calif.) has lots of left over Easter suits (pants, shirt, tie, vest) on the clearance racks. For shoes I get the little boot type style-my son likes to wear them and they look dressy with nice pants.

I would say yes to the stroller and the carseats (you can ask for them to be stored on board if you find you don't need them-better to have them and not need them).

Just one more suggestion-this is not intended to scare or worry you-just as a suggestion.
My son's first cruise was at about 4 years of age, now he's an active guy-very adventurous. We did'nt notice that the cabin doors on our ship unlocked by just opening the door from the inside. Our little guy figured this out quick and tried to take a moon light stroll (luckily for us he yelled "bye-bye mommy" as he opened the door. We ended up with hand bells (borrowed from the stage show on board) tied to the door knob to prevent further excursions. I would suggest you might consider getting a door alarm (cheap, battery operated and they can be put up high on the door for the night) if your little guy's the type.

Beyond that-the kid's clubs are great. Both of mine love the opportunity to play with other kids and do all of the fun activities that are arranged.

We will be doing Alaska on 8/4 as well-not the same ship alas. Have a great time!

Great idea about the door alarm! I can see either one of my sons doing that! Too bad we are not on the same ship!

Monica

I have something more to add about cruising on the Princess with small children.

Always bring a small bag/tote (or a book bag), like a small Gap paper bag, so you can carry it everywhere you go. In it, you should have 1 diaper, 1 hand sanitizer, some wipes (for butts and hands), a camera, and empty drinking cups, like the ones below:

[url="http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/product.asp?pValue=1300"]http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/product.asp?pValue=1300[/url]

The diaper is so that you don't need to go back to your room if you whiff a diaper change.

Hand sanitizer is useful if you see they touch anything that require sanitizing and before each meal.

We had every meal in the dining room on the Princess (the only way to go in my mind), but after breakfast, we always go up to Horizon Court (the buffet area) and stock up on kids' favorite cereal (in small boxes), yogurt, and juice.

I just toss everything in the small tote bag. I fill up the empty take and toss cups with either OJ or apple juice. My kids like Frosted Flakes, so I take a couple of boxes each day because towards the end of the cruise, there weren't any Frosted Flakes left.

Since my kids snack throughout the day and juices and yogurts and cereals are not available throughout the day (just at breakfast), I stock up. Whatever is left, I take them off the ship with me. Nothing is thrown out.
----------------
I also take a small bottle of dishwashing detergent (sample size), a sponge cut in half (in ziploc), a small tube of Spray 'n wash (for stains), and some laundry detergent. If you plan to do laundry on board, the usage is free, but the laundry detergent is not. I usually put a load worth of laundry detergent in one sandwich ziploc bag. So if you plan to do 3 loads on the cruise, bring 3 ziploc bags of laundry detergent. This will save you from packing 14 outfits for each child and adult (just joking).
-------------
I also brought a can of Lysol disinfectant spray to spray everything in the room--phones, handles, bathroom, etc.... when you first enter your stateroom. But check with your airlines to see if aerosol cans are allowed in bags. We were able to bring a can on board because we left from LA and we didn't need plane travel.
--------------
If I think of anything else, I'll post more.

HTH.

Jennifer

8/28/04 Diamond Princess to Alaska
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
9/27/03 Star Princess to Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;9;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Good information. I wasn't thinking to bring a diaper with me all over the ship, but you are right!

We are also from L.A. so we will not have to worry about the plane travel.

I called princess today to confirm that they do have bed rails if I request them.

Monica

some great info here...

Also you can purchase some walkie talkies that are voice activated and you can then use them as a room monitor.

The newer ones to buy are gmrs which is a new band just opened up and you'll have less problems with interference.

A stroller onboard would probably be more trouble than it's worth -- especially in a small cabin. However, you'll certainly want one when you go onshore. I'd call ahead to your cruise line and ask if they have them at the service desk. On Disney you can "check out" a full-sized stroller by leaving a security deposit. Do you ever use a sling? I loved mine and used them up until about 3 years old; however, if you're cruising in the summer, it might be too hot.

Pack light! You're going to be cramped in an inside room. Take along an over-the-door shoe holder to keep things organized in the room. You can put kids' small toys and crayons in the lower pockets, and you can use the upper pockets for things they shouldn't reach (extra batteries, your make-up, etc.). Find out whether your ship has a coin-laundry; if so, take a roll of quarters and some laundry detergent. You already know that kids can go through clothes quickly, and if one of them should happen to get sick you'd be awfully glad to be prepared.

The cruise line will probably provide bedrails. You should call ahead to find out. Ditto for a pack-and-play. Also ask if they provide sheets for the pack-and-play; once (in a hotel, not a ship) we were given a pack and play with regular bedsheets! They didn't fit particularly well!

Everyone is welcome at formal night. Keep in mind that dinner in the dining room is a 1.5-2 hour affair. You know how well your children do in a restaurant, so you'll have to be the judge of whether they can make it or not. It would be perfectly acceptable for them to come in, eat their meal while the adults enjoy appetizers, then you or your husband could quickly run them to the kids' clubs and return to finish your meal. They should be dressed nicely for formal night -- kids look adorable dressed up.

When we went to Alaska we didn't take our car seats and never needed them. All of our transport, from airport to ship, on excursions, etc. was on big busses with no seat belts. I wouldn't have been able to use the seats if I'd wanted to! The only place we could have used them was on the plane, but I find car seats to be a huge hassle on a plane, so we didn't bring them. You mention taking the train in Skagway - we did that too, and there's no way to use a car seat on it.

I didn't bring a stroller either, and didn't miss it, but maybe that's just me. I find them to be more hassle than they are worth most of the time. I did carry my daughter (then 27 months) in a sling occassionally, but she also just wanted to get down and walk by herself a lot of the time.

Take along a bunch of ziploc bags in various sizes. They are great for packing up snacks from the buffet or room service, sealing up wet/dirty clothes, etc.

merela - You said, "If it rains, we'll stay on board." Please don't go with that attitude! You might end up missing a lot! It rains a lot in Alaska. Lately they've had lots of sun, but you can't predict what it will be like when you go. We went in mid-July and it rained in two of our ports, at least part of the day. We'd have missed a lot if we just stayed on board those days! Of course, we live in the Seattle area, so we are used to doing things in the rain. If we stayed in every time it rained, we'd hardly get out at all most of the year!

Sherry
Carnival Spirit - July 2001

Sherry, I understand your point about missing opportunity to see certain things if I don't go out in the rain. I'm from LA and it's next to impossible finding the right rain gear for my children and the strollers. Besides, I'm not too keen a traveller when it comes to roughing it. Walking/sightseeing in the rain is downright miserable for adults and children (I grew up in Vancouver where it rains quite a bit so I know). It won't be our last trip to Alaska and I'm sure we'll bring the kids back on the same itinerary when they are older. I'm just thrilled to be able to go on a ship where I don't have to cook for 7 days!

Seeing the BC and Alaska from the ship while we cruise up and down the coast is enough for me!

I plan to bring 2 strollers with us. An umbrella one for my almost 5 DD just in case she gets tired walking and a Combi Convience stroller for my 2.5YO DS on our Alaskan cruise end of August.

You can also get Skubb accordion shoe holder from IKEA for $7.99. It hangs in the closet and it packs up in the suitcase very well. You can put all the bathroom stuff/kid's accessories you need in there. There isn't a lot of sink counter space in the small bathroom, so this shoe holder is great!

HTH.

Jennifer

I'll probably bring a stroller because my son is just to heavy to sling at this point. I used it a ton the first year of his life, but he is in the 95% for height and weight. Too hard on me at this point because I tried it again about 1 month ago. I figure I'll want the stroller, but I like the idea of calling to see if any are provided by the ship.

Monica

Archived