Vista Ship Glass Elevators

Old As Dirt Mom

The verandas for the cabins immediately beside the glass elevators are not totally private. One can view onto those cabins from the elevator but truthfully, I have never once seen people doing any peeping. If people are not facing forward, they are mesmerized with the beauty of the sea...... most of us cruisers love the view of the ocean from those elevators and don't bother with looking onto people's verandas.

The next cabins over are fully private.

Our cabin (8071) on the Westerdam was adjacent to one of the glass elevators. It never bothered us. I suppose if someone stopped the elevator they could peer onto the far side of our balcony. As long as you don't plan on nude sunbathing it shouldn't be a concern.

If you like, I can e-mail you a photo of the view from that veranda facing generally toward the elevator.

Bill

Thanks Sail, Bill, and Ralph, I appreciate your very prompt replies. Bill, thanks very much for your kind offer of the photo, but I'll take your description of the elevator view at your word. As I'll be heading to Alaska, I can't forsee any nude sunbathing!:eek: :D

Karin

There was a question like this on the boards a couple of years back, and I answered very much like S7S.....that I never really paid any attention to the balconies while I was riding the elevator and I thought most people just enjoyed the ocean view and wouldn't really stare into the balconies.

The next three posts after mine were from people who proceeded to give great detail about how they always looked to see whether anyone was on the balcony....how they always waved to the people sitting on their balconies....how much they could see of the balconies....etc.

So, I guess there are some people who are gawkers and would make it a point to look into the balcony from the elevator. The question then would be....would it bother you?

As you know, I just left the Westerdam and we always used the Glass Elevators. I don't recall once looking into a balcony and frankly did not even know you might see one. I think it is a non issue. Now, about he "ping" upon elevator arrival. Not so sure that you can or can't hear it from a very close cabin. We were 6 or 7 cabins away and it was never a problem.

We had the second cabin in from the glass elevators, and I worried about privacy. However, there were no issues since we couldn't even see the elevator from our cabin.

As other posters have said, it shouldn't be an issue. We used the glass elevator a lot, but we always were looking out at the sea, or at the front of the elevator. The elevator goes up and down so quickly that even if you do look at the balconies as you pass by, you don't have but a fraction of a second to look at a particular floor.

We also never heard any noise...from other passengers or from the elevators. I worried we might hear the "bells" from the elevators, but we didn't. We liked the location being so close to the elevators.

So, I guess there are some people who are gawkers and would make it a point to look into the balcony from the elevator. The question then would be....would it bother you?

Thanks Tricia, good question, and your response opens up a realm of possibilities.....Perhaps as I may be providing any gawkers a "show" of sorts on my balcony, I could put up a sign there saying "Accepting donations towards my next cruise, please contact_____"........:rolleyes: ......hmmmm

We were in 8073 on the starboard side right next to the glass elevators on the Noordam a couple of weeks ago. Privacy was not an issue. We spent a lot of time on our deck and never once saw anyone look in as they were going up and down the elevators. I would intentionally look at those balconies as I was riding in the elevators to see what I could see but it was really only a very quick glance. We did hear the pinging of the elevators regularly but can't really say it bothered us much.

We were in 8073 on the starboard side right next to the glass elevators on the Noordam a couple of weeks ago. Privacy was not an issue. We spent a lot of time on our deck and never once saw anyone look in as they were going up and down the elevators. I would intentionally look at those balconies as I was riding in the elevators to see what I could see but it was really only a very quick glance. We did hear the pinging of the elevators regularly but can't really say it bothered us much.

Perfect, thank you, GrammaZ!:)

We've stayed in our favorite VD cabin on Noordam twice - 4045. It's right behind the forward elevator bank, starboard side. Only occasionally could we hear the bing-bong of the arriving elevator cars, & that was only if standing just inside the cabin door at the closet, deciding what to wear. Or maybe inside the bathroom with that door open. Further in the cabin, at the bed, really couldn't hear the elevator lobby noise at all. :)

Archived