Marriott Harbor Beach vs. Marriot Beach Place Towers

Name game

I really don't know if this was ever asked before, but I am staying in Ft. Lauderdale for three days post cruise in November. I would love to stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach but VERY expensive. The Marriott Beach Place is less than half the price. Has anyone been to these hotels and are both these hotels recommended? Is the Marriott Harbor Beach worth spending over $300 a night? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed at the Harbor Beach 2 years ago at Xmas before our Xmas Cruise. What a treat. The hotel is really beautiful, right on the beach and the decor is very nice. When we were there, the Dolphins were playing the Titans and guess who ended up staying at our hotel, the entire Titan team, along with TV announcers, etc. It was actually pretty cool because the players were very nice signing autographs, taking pic's etc.

The pool area really is awesome and has a great bar, deli, gift shop etc. If you don't mind the cost, it's a great way to start the cruise. In addition, depending upon your room location (either over looking the intercoastal or the ocean) you can watch the ships come in/out and if your up early enough (like I was...watch your ship coming in to Pick U up!!)

A real treat.

Having stayed at both, they're both great Marriott properties. It really depends what your looking for. One is a resort, the other a time share, two distinct personalities. Want to be spoiled, bask in the sun all day by the pool or step out directly on the beach then I'd suggest the Harbor Beach Marriott. Looking to hang out people watching, visit have a dozen bars and even more restaurants, go shopping or hop on the water taxi then Beach Place would be the one. Nothing says you can't do any of the activities from either property as well.

If your opting for the resort experience, check out the Lago Mar. Directly on the ocean, a nicer property in my humble opinion. ;)

http://www.lagomar.com/

OK, How about a comparison of the Marriott Beach Place and the Hyatt Pier 66. I'm trying to gather info for myself and two other couples that we will be traveling with. I really don't want surprises once we get there. Lago property is already booked when we want to go post Thanksgiving 07.

Would appreciate any insight. I was leaning toward the Beach Place because of its location on the beach.

Thanks in advance

I have stayed at both HB and 66. 66 is on the intercoastal and has direct "water taxi" access from the hotel. The rooms are nice, they refurbished I believe in the last couple of years. It really depends if you want Ocean front property or intercoastal property. Either hotels have views of the port where the ships come in/out.

The water taxi BTW, is a great way to do some "cheap sightseeing". In addition, you can take it up to Las Osas where you will find a number of shops, restaurants, lounges, etc. Last time I rode was $5.00 so it's a great inexpensive way to get around. Plus, if you have a "captain" who really is into his job you will get a free tour to beat. Ours pointed out homes that use to be owned by Sonny & Cher, Michael Mann (producer of TV show Miami Vice) Wayne Hzigeneria (sp??) the guy that owned Blockbuster, the Miami Heat I think and bunch of other companies and venues. It was a very relaxing ride, only thing it does make a lot of stops to pick-up/off passengers but still a fun way to kill a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a water taxi pick up near the Beach Place Towers? And is the tour of the millionaire homes just the water taxi or is there an actual tour we should look for?

Also, is there a website for the water taxi?

Thanks,

Maggie

Just a short walk from Beach Place to the Water Taxi stop (#4 on the map)

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Are there restaurants/shopping nearby the Beach Place?

We won't have a car and would like to walk from hotel to shopping and dining. Will this fit the bill?

Also, how far is it from the Port? I assume taxis are plentiful for that.

Thx

Plenty of taxis available, less then 10 minutes to the port. You'll have no problems with restaurants or shopping, all within a short walking distance, BeachPlace is in the thick of it.

Archived