Anchorage to Whittier for Spirit

4Cruise4Fun

My family of 4 (2 adults/2 children (ages 6 & 8) will be going on the Carnival Spirit this summer. Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel in Anchorage? Is the train a good way to get to Whittier? Has anyone been to the H2O Indoor Waterpark in Anchorage? (We thought the kids might enjoy this.)

I also heard there was a lumberjack show at one port, any info on this?

Thanks for the info!:)

Will you have a car in Anchorage??? Certainaly makes getting around easier and more options for lodging.

The train to Whittier is very nice and a good transfer option. Allows time for a glacier boat tour if of interest??

the Lumberjack show is in Ketchikan http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/

Here is a link to ALL THINGS CARNIVAL SPIRIT a thread on this board. It will help with many of the questions you may have about the Spirit.

Which week are you going?

For 4 of us I found the cheapest was the car - but we are also spending 4 days pre cruise. If you are flying in only a day ahead or don't plan on renting a car then I second the train (this is what I looked at when first planning). I also found a very nice hotel close to the railroad station - they even provide transportation there if you like. Comfort Inn at Ship Creek - search for Anchorage and you should find it. I'm not sure what the rooms are running now but I had a room booked under a military rate for $150. When we decided to get the car I did change to the Clarion Suites. The Comfort Inn had several good reviews when I was researching.

We booked a king suite at Hawthorn Suites on 8th and L in Anchorage through Expedia. We will be there for two nights before we join our cruise tour group at the mystery hotel (as chosen by HAL). I saved $80 per night by using Expedia. My travel agent could not begin to touch our rate. I think that you will find that many of the hotels will indicate if they have free transfers to/from various places on their websites, too.

I used bookingbuddy.com to find a rental car. We plan to drive to Seward for the day to take an 8 hour boat tour of the Kenai Fjords. We reserved an SUV for $59 per day plus various extremely high fees. It IS a vacation! In Anchorage, there is public transport as well as several ways to get from the airport into downtown. "Frommer's" gives information which might be helpful to you, too. They mentioned Trolley Tours which are fairly reasonable and might serve your group as well. The city of Anchorage has a website at anchorage.net where you can get more information on lodging, tours and transportation.

Happy travels!

We booked a king suite at Hawthorn Suites on 8th and L in Anchorage through Expedia. We will be there for two nights before we join our cruise tour group at the mystery hotel (as chosen by HAL). I saved $80 per night by using Expedia. My travel agent could not begin to touch our rate. I think that you will find that many of the hotels will indicate if they have free transfers to/from various places on their websites, too.

I used bookingbuddy.com to find a rental car. We plan to drive to Seward for the day to take an 8 hour boat tour of the Kenai Fjords. We reserved an SUV for $59 per day plus various extremely high fees. It IS a vacation! In Anchorage, there is public transport as well as several ways to get from the airport into downtown. "Frommer's" gives information which might be helpful to you, too. They mentioned Trolley Tours which are fairly reasonable and might serve your group as well. The city of Anchorage has a website at anchorage.net where you can get more information on lodging, tours and transportation.

Happy travels!

As only a suggestion, Seward AND a Kenai Fjords boat trip is never a day trip that I ever recommend. You might want to book one of your nights in Seward rather than 2 in Anchorge. For cost savings, you do not need an SUV. There are many independent rental agencies, as well as some downtown pick ups that don't have the high airport fees. At the airport, there is also Alamo, National, Thrifty, Dollar, Payless. Compare them all for savings. Thrifty is also off airport on Spenard.

Archived