Denali park - "paddle run" whitewater rafting

pieshops

You need to be very selective and determine WHAT type of rapids you want. They run the range from class 4+ - to float trips. If you want rapids- go with an operator that has you wear dry suits- this is the key for a good set of rapids. For the the lessor trips, for me, are way less desirable, not likely wildlife and a lot of "green". They are OK if you have "spare" time, but not on a tight schedule giving up something else. Again my opinion only.

this trip is done by denali park and is class 3 and 4 rapids, yes they give you a dry suit, helmet and vest.

we had a choice of doing the float along the same route or the paddle and chose the paddle.

thanks

Hello:

Concur with the above. I'm in Alaska right now and I have done this tour with Denali Rafting.

They have a all day float that includes the canyon (rapids) or you can just do the canyon (rapids).

They give you a dry suit. A couple of people had zippers that leaked and one got pretty wet but it was tolerable.

I believe we paddled 11 miles (I'm really guessing on this). The put it was right below the pedestrian bridge that is being built.

The river was extremely low but the rapids were allright. If the river is up, than I would recommend doing this. If the river was at the same level when I did it, than I would recommend doing this only if you are looking for something to do (if it a choice between two things).

We got a group rate of 60 something so I decided to do it. I'm not sure what the ungroup rate would be. The guide we had was really nice and knew what she was doing. I felt very comfortable with her.

At the end of the trip there is a opportunity to go in the water (unless you flipped already). It was pretty cool (literaly) to see who cold the water actually is.

Rogue

Pieshops,

We also booked with Denali Park rafting and originally choose the Canyon Run with the guides paddling. As we arrived, they asked if anyone wanted to change to paddling. My son really wanted to paddle so we switched. After donning the dry suit and helmets, we were off.

We enjoyed the trip. Our guide was great. While the rapids are considered CAt 3/4, they did not seem too bad, part of the classification comes from how cold the water in the river is. As rogue mentioned, at the end, you get to jump in and float a bit. My son's suit leaked a bit, but it was not too bad. I would recommend wearing two pairs of socks.

Hope you have fun.

Mary

Archived