Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo?

early_iron

We are booked on the October 24, exotic Mexican Riviera, 8 day cruise aboard the Carnival Spirit. It was easy to find things to do in Acapulco but not as easy finding out about Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo. Has anyone been to these ports that could give us any sugestions. Thanks and happy cruising

Zihua was my favorite port stop, but it may not be for everyone, that's why there is Ixtapa! Zihua is a very quaint fishing village. We tendered in and spent most of the morning just walking around looking at the fishing boats and craftsman on the beach. The side streets have amazing landscaping- bring your camera. There are lots of restaurants on the beach. Some of our group went to the beach and just laid there all day-heaven!

We then grabbed a cab to Ixtapa just to see what it was like. ($20US for 1 hour) I would describe it as Mexico for Americans who want to be in Mexico but want the comforts of America:)

Big, fancy hotels, McDonald's, Walgreen's, etc. It was fun to drive through, but I like to be a little more adventurous. Some of our fellow cruisers had a day pass to a beach at one of the resorts and said it was great.

I recommend reading "Mexico Beaches for Dummies" to get good advice on your port stops.

I enjoyed the mexican Riviera so much we are making a return visit in March.

Karen, thanks for reminding me about the Mexico for Dummies book - I'll order that now.

In my notes, I wrote "Mayan ruins, Ixtapa" Do you know anything about that? I think that would be pretty cool to check out. We're there from 9 to 4 (minus tender time and 1/2 hour before sailing boarding). A day wandering around town sounds wonderful too, especially if I end up having margaritas with Roberto the night before...lol!

Emi

We really didn't make plans for that stop so I didn't investigate any excursions. I'm sure the book will tell you about the ruins, it is pretty thorough. Tendering was pretty efficient, it was maybe a 5 minute ride. We waited in line about 15 minutes to get on the tender but we went back to the ship at the very last minute and so did everyone else.

If you are going out with Roberto, don't plan on being up before noon! We had a blast with him, but since we had to be up early the next day we weren't able to stay out all night- maybe on this next cruise!

I found Manzanillo to be a pleasant surprise - everybody said there was nothing to do so i didn't book any tours - just got off the ship and starting walking - five minutes outside the security gate and you have reached a beach area and a boardwalk which you can follow for a couple of miles into the heart of the town - there are several plazas and parks along the way and some real life fishermen and boats to watch - Manzanillo is an industrial town and more down to earth than PV and Acapulco - when you reach the town center there are lot's of little shops to browse through - sure the owners want you to buy their wares but isn't that what business is all about - there were very few beggars on the street and it was interesting to see the houses built atop each other along the hillsides that surround.

If you don't feel like walking there is a shuttle from the ship to the main town center

I felt a lot more safer walking this town than the bigger centers that we stopped at.

The other half of this port is the town of Santiago - this has been developed as the more touristry area but I didn't visit this area.

Enjoy

Dennis

Lots of gorgeous resorts outside this nice working-man's town.

Las Hadas is definitely worth a look. See link below. World class resort with unusual architecture. Lovely yacht harbor. Visited friends at Club Santiago, a country club golf type resort on the sea with people from all over the world. Friends had rented a large home with gardener, housekeeper, pool, and boats. Many other resorts nearby. Hire a driver - some cruise ships have exursions to resorts.

http://www.mexicotravelnet.com/manzanillo/hotels/caminoreallashadas.htm.

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/hotels/

Archived