Insurance

sandradeen

Not to correct you but the correct amount over the listed amounts is

20 per 500 (4%)...not 20 per 200 which is 10%...its pretty good coverage...

Agreed - It is pretty good coverage. Sorry for the error.

Hate these tri-focals - Who's demented idea were they anyway.

Please don't tell me it was good old Benjamin Franklin!!;)

Thanks for the correction.

I highly recommend buying trip insurance. I have purchased Access America (www.accessamerica.com) for the past 6 cruises I have been on and even my trip to Rome last summer. The Classic Comprehensive always worked for me. They also have a higher level, but that seems to fit overseas and very expensive trips.

The price of the insurance varies and it depends on your age and the post of the trip.

Unfortunatley my parents could not go with us on a cruise a year and a half ago due health reasons. They did purchase trip insurance and got their money back.

Be sure to get insurance to cover cost of the cruise and the flight.

If you get the insurance within 14 days of booking your trip it covers pre-existing conditions.

My confusion with NCL's plan is whether it covers those things not booked through NCL (e.g. hotel, flight). Anybody know? I know I could read the booklet online, but you are all so much fun to "read." :p

My confusion with NCL's plan is whether it covers those things not booked through NCL (e.g. hotel, flight). Anybody know? I know I could read the booklet online, but you are all so much fun to "read." :p

I would suggest that you do take a few minutes to read the brochure, even though we are so much fun.

We could miss something which could ultimately be very important to you personally. :eek:

"Coverage for air and Pre & Post Packages arranged by NCL are included"

Good Luck!:)

I think the NCL insurance would cover air only if you got it in the package booked through NCL.

Next time I may just have to do that!

However, my understanding is that they can only include air if you are more than 40 days out from the cruise?

When we went to rebook they weren't able to add air to our cruise as we were leaving in a week. Weird

He is a she!

Just as a comparison, the insurance which NCL offers for a cruise of $4,500 per person (a 17 night Panama Canal cruise, in a Mini Suite) would cost $738 for two people going with the NCL Care Free Platinum Plan. Benefits: Medical-$20,000, Evacuation-$50,000, etc.

A private insurance company cost is $731 for two people. Benefits: Medical-$100,000 Evacuation-$100,000, etc. For a little less, you get a lot more coverage.

Sorry to say, we had to cancel the cruise, due to medical issues.

A plus with cruise line insurance is that should you cancel your reservation before the cancellation period begins, the plan cost is completely refundable. Not so with private insurance.

Another plus with the NCL coverage is that, should you need to cancel within the penalty phase, for a non-covered reason, NCL will provide you with a cruise credit equal to 75% or 90% (standard vs. platinum coverage) of your cancellation fee, whereas, private insurance will not provide any reimbursement if you cancel for a reason not stipulated in their contract.

Okay, so the price quoted and coverage provided by AAA is good, and I'd like to go with it. My only question is, what about cruise reward certificates? We're using $1500 in certificates for this trip, and since it's not included in the money I'm actually paying upfront (the number they use to calculate your insurance cost), what happens if the trip is interrupted?

Can you redeposit these points if something happens? I doubt the insurance would cover this, and I'm wondering what type of "insurance" I have on the certificates, if any at all? :)

Does anyone know about this?? Thanks in advance!!!

This is a very helpful thread.. thanks. I have been looking for insurance for this month's Spirit cruise, and was just as confused. But.. I ended up buying it through AAA. Here's why...

They have group insurance. Since I'm traveling with my mother (who is over 60)-- rates for seniors are much higher... but the group insurance doesn't take age into consideration.

Funny thing is, I got rate quotes from Access America (I was very impressed with the coverage). For me, it would have cost $94. For my mother, it was $164.

Coincidently, AAA uses Access America (slightly different plan, but very comparable). For each of us-- it was the same amount-- $97. I thought that was a great deal.

Another plus with the NCL coverage is that, should you need to cancel within the penalty phase, for a non-covered reason, NCL will provide you with a cruise credit equal to 75% or 90% (standard vs. platinum coverage) of your cancellation fee, whereas, private insurance will not provide any reimbursement if you cancel for a reason not stipulated in their contract.

NCL told me that if for some reason my cruise is not paid for by the insurance co that they would give me the 75% cruise certificate. It was nice to have that as a back-up just in case.

Archived