Insurance

sandradeen

Does anyone have any experience with trip insurance through Norwegian?

Our flight was cancelled and we were unable to make it to our cruise this weekend!

:eek:

Do you think we will get refunded our $?

No one will give me a straight answer!

Normally there is no problem getting your money back. You need to fill out the forms and have contacted them as required under the insurance contract. If it is for a covered reason you'll get you money back. Until they see the paperwork they won't commit.

We Also Missed The Boat(dream) Due To Airline Screw Ups, But We Met The Ship In Cozumel. We Are Trying To Get Back The Three Days We Missed Through The Insurance Company. They Need A Lot Of Documentation From Us. Hopefully, They Will Prorate The Money .

Last weekend changed my view about buying insurance. We were booked on the Sun out of New Orleans on 2/18. I figured that as long as we booked our airfare out of New York a day in advance we would have room if there was any airline delay.(Wrong!!) We had a 10 am direct flight out laguardia. We arrived at the airport at 8 am and the flight showed on time. About an hour later it showed a half hour delay(no problem) A little later it showed an hour delay(a pain but ok) from then on it was almost comical as the delay got longer and longer. Finally they made an announcement that the plane was in Canada with a mechanical problem and they were waiting for the part to arrive and it would be about 3 hours until it arrived in New York. After waiting the 3 hours they informed us that the wrong part was delivered and the correct one was on its way and we just had to wait until they heard more from Canada. We kept checking the monitor as it just kept showing longer and longer delay. Then all of a sudden it came up as canceled. Everyone was rushing to the desk to find out what would happen next (There was quite a few people going on the Sun) The lady at the

desk told us that because of the holiday that every airline was booked solid to every destination and the earliest that anybody could get out was on Monday. After almost having a mini riot as everybody started to panic they made an announcement that the head guy at LGA was trying to get in touch with somebody to plead with them to find another plain for us. A little while late they announced that they found a plane but we would have to wait for a crew. As it turned out we were given another plane but we ended up with the crew that finally arrived from Canada. So about 9 1/2 hours after we arrived at the airport we were on our way. I will always buy insurance from now on.

I'm glad someone brought up insurance again. I am feeling overwhelmed at choosing trip insurance. NCL's is expensive, plus our hotel and airfare are booked separately, so I figured I need to go outside NCL in order to cover the entire trip.

I checked out insuremytrip.com, but there are too many choices! I really don't know what I should be looking for in terms of coverage. Does anyone have suggestions with companies they've been happy with? Or ones to stay away from? :) Any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance!! :D

I agree that buying travel insurance is a daunting chore.

For us, in our 70's, makes it even more important that we have full coverage. This is quite expensive, but ultimately, if either of us were to become ill, need to be hospitalized, or medi-vac from the ship, it is an invaluable security blanket. We simply figure the cost of the insurance into the overall cruise price from the day we decide to book a cruise.

The length of the cruise is also important to consider, and where you will be traveling. If you are going to be out of the country, this needs to be addressed while searching insurance options to determine that you will indeed be covered while in a foreign country, and that your expenses would be paid there, and for your return to the states.

The options are limitless, so it would seem that you should be able to select what actually is important to you as an individual. Insuremytrip.com gives you many options.

I hope that this thread draws many experienced cruisers who have more knowledge regarding the exact options which have been more important to them in the past.

We are traveling for the Pearl on Thursday of this weekend and face snow in Minnesota. We do have insurance thru NCL on our cruise. What would I need to get in terms of documenation should our flights get canceled and prevent us from making the cruise?

I agree that buying travel insurance is a daunting chore.

For us, in our 70's, makes it even more important that we have full coverage. This is quite expensive, but ultimately, if either of us were to become ill, need to be hospitalized, or medi-vac from the ship, it is an invaluable security blanket. We simply figure the cost of the insurance into the overall cruise price from the day we decide to book a cruise.

The length of the cruise is also important to consider, and where you will be traveling. If you are going to be out of the country, this needs to be addressed while searching insurance options to determine that you will indeed be covered while in a foreign country, and that your expenses would be paid there, and for your return to the states.

The options are limitless, so it would seem that you should be able to select what actually is important to you as an individual. Insuremytrip.com gives you many options.

I hope that this thread draws many experienced cruisers who have more knowledge regarding the exact options which have been more important to them in the past.

Thanks for the extensive reply, you bring up many good points. We are a young (27 and 26), healthy and active couple. No health problems or anything. We are going to Alaska for a week's cruise and are spending a lot on our cabin and excursions. We're flying into Seattle one day early and staying at a hotel. I think my biggest concern is just in case something happens that causes a flight delay or something. My concern isn't so much our health, but rather the cost of the trip should something interrupt it.

Thanks Sailaways for your help! You make a good point for the need to clarify what I need/want this insurance for.

[quote name=star7228;9237020 I think my biggest concern is just in case something happens that causes a flight delay or something. My concern isn't so much our health' date=' but rather the cost of the trip should something interrupt it.

Thanks Sailaways for your help! You make a good point for the need to clarify what I need/want this insurance for.[/quote]

I hope you don't feel that youth is exempt from medical emergencies. Please be sure to include some sort of coverage for this too. Anything can happen, to any of us, at any given time. It would be tragic for you to find yourself in debt for an accident or illness which could have been covered by insurance. At your age, the premium is much lower than later in life.

Good luck. Hopefully, you will enjoy Alaska as much as we have. We have been several times, and will return again when possible.:)

I have a question about insurance since reading this post I went back to look at my reservations for August and determined that I did not get or was asked about insurance. Is it to late to obtain insurance.

No, it is not too late to purchase insurance.

We did get our insurance through NCL and it was only $89 a person. Is that the premium you were saying was expensive? I thought it was reasonable, but almost didn't get it for trip cancellation reasons alone...I thought, when would I ever be in a situation where I would not make it to the cruise? We know we would definitely go, and what series of disastrous freak events would have to happen all at the same time so we couldn't fly there? Well, they all happened!

I ended up getting the insurance due to NCL's agent's explanation that it would also cover medical emergencies, and due to the illnesses breaking out over the last couple of years on cruise ships, I thought for a visit to the ship doctor alone it would be worth having.

AGAIN, THANK GOD I GOT THE INSURANCE!

I got the claim forms and will be working on them today.

We did get our insurance through NCL and it was only $89 a person. Is that the premium you were saying was expensive?

AGAIN, THANK GOD I GOT THE INSURANCE!

I got the claim forms and will be working on them today.

If you are directing this question to me, the answer is no, this is not an expensive insurance.

I'm glad that you did purchase it. Any insurance is better than none. Good luck with your claim.

If you are directing this question to me, the answer is no, this is not an expensive insurance.

I'm glad that you did purchase it. Any insurance is better than none. Good luck with your claim.

The older you get the more expensive non-cruise line insurance gets because it is age rated. Most cruiseline insurance is the same price no matter what your age. Some of the TA's give free insurance instead of a discount)...

Sailawys has gotten to that age that the cruise line is either about the same or less(I am not saying he is old). NCL charges more depending on what you paid for your cruise.

The older you get the more expensive non-cruise line insurance gets because it is age rated. Most cruiseline insurance is the same price no matter what your age. Some of the TA's give free insurance instead of a discount)...

Sailawys has gotten to that age that the cruise line is either about the same or less(I am not saying he is old). NCL charges more depending on what you paid for your cruise.

He is a she!

Just as a comparison, the insurance which NCL offers for a cruise of $4,500 per person (a 17 night Panama Canal cruise, in a Mini Suite) would cost $738 for two people going with the NCL Care Free Platinum Plan. Benefits: Medical-$20,000, Evacuation-$50,000, etc.

A private insurance company cost is $731 for two people. Benefits: Medical-$100,000 Evacuation-$100,000, etc. For a little less, you get a lot more coverage.

Sorry to say, we had to cancel the cruise, due to medical issues.

A plus with cruise line insurance is that should you cancel your reservation before the cancellation period begins, the plan cost is completely refundable. Not so with private insurance.

I would jump at $89 per person! :) NCL was quoting us at $239pp, but we booked a penthouse so we have more $$ to insure I guess. The prices on insuremytrip.com were definitely cheaper, for the most part.

I definitely will make sure we have some medical coverage, I just meant that wasn't our primary reason/concern in terms of securing insurance.

And thanks for the website...I'm about to check out that article! :)

I'm glad someone brought up insurance again. I am feeling overwhelmed at choosing trip insurance. NCL's is expensive, plus our hotel and airfare are booked separately, so I figured I need to go outside NCL in order to cover the entire trip.

I checked out insuremytrip.com, but there are too many choices! I really don't know what I should be looking for in terms of coverage. Does anyone have suggestions with companies they've been happy with? Or ones to stay away from? :) Any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance!! :D

Hi star7228,

Yes, there are too many choices out there. And even though the plans use the same terms, you have to watch out because not all companies define those terms the same way.

You should shop elsewhere. Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good comparison sites that offer not too many choices.

I hope this helps.

I have a question about insurance since reading this post I went back to look at my reservations for August and determined that I did not get or was asked about insurance. Is it to late to obtain insurance.

Hi Sam The Cat,

If you live in the US or Canada, you can get insurance any time through the day before you leave on your trip.

I would jump at $89 per person! :) NCL was quoting us at $239pp, but we booked a penthouse so we have more $$ to insure I guess. The prices on insuremytrip.com were definitely cheaper, for the most part.

I definitely will make sure we have some medical coverage, I just meant that wasn't our primary reason/concern in terms of securing insurance.

And thanks for the website...I'm about to check out that article! :)

OH, I guess we did get a great deal on our insurance?!

We did get it directly with NCL, though. Weird.

Maybe it is based on cost of the cruise?

OH, I guess we did get a great deal on our insurance?!

We did get it directly with NCL, though. Weird.

Maybe it is based on cost of the cruise?

It is based upon the cost of the cruise, and goes from $29 for cruise priced from 0 to $250pp all the way up to $399 for cruise price of $6,001 to $6,500. After that it is an additional $20 for each $200 added to the price of the individual fair paid. For and additional $50pp, you can double the coverage for lost baggage, medical, emergency evacuation, and increase your cruise credit from 75% to 90% for cancellations for non-covered reasons.

If you have not read the Travel Care Information, it probably would be a good idea to log on to NCL.com, and review the coverage you have purchased. Or, if you have a brochure from NCL, this information is available there too.

Good luck!:)

It is based upon the cost of the cruise, and goes from $29 for cruise priced from 0 to $250pp all the way up to $399 for cruise price of $6,001 to $6,500. After that it is an additional $20 for each $200(500) added to the price of the individual fair paid. For and additional $50pp, you can double the coverage for lost baggage, medical, emergency evacuation, and increase your cruise credit from 75% to 90% for cancellations for non-covered reasons.

If you have not read the Travel Care Information, it probably would be a good idea to log on to NCL.com, and review the coverage you have purchased. Or, if you have a brochure from NCL, this information is available there too.

Good luck!:)

Not to correct you but the correct amount over the listed amounts is

20 per 500 (4%)...not 20 per 200 which is 10%...its pretty good coverage...

Archived