Upgrade from a royal suite to a penthouse suite?

icecreammama

I am booked and fully paided on the Journey's May 5 sailing in a royal suite. I booked directly with Celebrity and at the time I requested an upgrade to a Penthouse suite if it became available. As I check Celebrity's website daily, I notice that at times suites are becoming available as final payment is due. At this time, only Royal suites are available, not penthouses. My question is, if a penthouse becomes available, will Celebrity contact me even though I have made final payment on a royal suite? And if so, is there any chance I would get that upgrade for free? If they won't give it to me for free, what do you think is a fair price to pay for that upgrade?

I am booked and fully paided on the Journey's May 5 sailing in a royal suite. I booked directly with Celebrity and at the time I requested an upgrade to a Penthouse suite if it became available. As I check Celebrity's website daily, I notice that at times suites are becoming available as final payment is due. At this time, only Royal suites are available, not penthouses. My question is, if a penthouse becomes available, will Celebrity contact me even though I have made final payment on a royal suite? And if so, is there any chance I would get that upgrade for free? If they won't give it to me for free, what do you think is a fair price to pay for that upgrade?

Hi Icecreammama !

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the odds of a "free" upgrade are slim to none. Celebrity does not typically give out these types of upgrades, unless you get very lucky. As for how much to pay for the RS, they will not negotiate with you. You would have to pay the current rate, and pay the difference versus what you paid.

However, there is one other option. On the day of the sailing, you can ask at the Pier if they are selling any upgrades. That is about the only chance that I know of, that Celebrity might sell you an upgrade at a reduced price.

Enjoy your Cruise !

thanks andy for the information. I notice that the may 5th sailing is the most expensive one so far in the month. Where this ship was originally sold out 2 months ago, I am now seeing more rooms available because of the much lower prices on the other sailings. Do you think it's possible that the prices will go down on my cruise eventually, and if so, if the penthouse suite goes down in price to what I paid for the royal suite, will I then get that upgrade for free?

Are they still using the suites as Bingo prizes for the first night?? If so even if they have one of those cabins they will not sell it to you unless you are paying the full going rate.

If you are willing to do that then have your TA or Celebrity put you on the waitlist for the PH and if it comes up they will offer it providinh of course you are at the top of the list.....

thanks andy for the information. I notice that the may 5th sailing is the most expensive one so far in the month. Where this ship was originally sold out 2 months ago, I am now seeing more rooms available because of the much lower prices on the other sailings. Do you think it's possible that the prices will go down on my cruise eventually, and if so, if the penthouse suite goes down in price to what I paid for the royal suite, will I then get that upgrade for free?

Hi again Icecreammomma !

I have no idea if your sailing price would go lower, but it is always a possibility if many cabins are available.

If the price of the PH were the same as what you paid for your current cabin, I think you might be able to upgrade. Usually, there is a pretty large gap in price between the 2 categories, so I am not sure that is realistic. The problem is, Celebrity will not automatically do it. You would have to keep checking the prices, and then ask for it to happen.

In the meantime, did your cabin price go down ? If so, make sure to ask for a price adjustment.

Good luck !

More potentially bad news...when they lower prices, it's usually on cabins types that they have a lot of in their inventory...which doesn't often include suites...although I have seen good prices on Sky Suites before on M class ships. With so few Royal and even fewer PH, it's unlikely.

The best bet is to check at the pier, as that is often when the line finds out that a cabin is being turned back...because someone had to cancel at the last minute.:( Sad for them, but maybe lucky for you?:)

The only other time to check (a lot) is right around final payment, as that's when people make their "fish or cut bait" decisions...before there's a $ penalty. But it sounds like you're already beyond that point.

If nothing changes, just enjoy the Royal Suite! Haven't seen the ones on your ship, of course, but, again, on M class, the ones I've visited were very nice.

Andrew

Just to give you an idea, on the Infinity the difference between a Royal and the Penthouse on a 14 day San Diego / Hawaii / San Diego is about $7,500 (for two). Since they have only two penthouse suites, I don't think they have to discount them. Someone is always celebrating something and willing to splurge.

thanks for all the information!!!!! I'm new to cruising celebrity so everyone's input helps. right now the difference in price between a RS and a PS is about $1500 total. So I guess a free upgrade is out of the question, but I will still keep checking prices everyday. If it doesn't happen I'm sure we'll be more than happy in the RS.

Insofar as final payments have been made, unless one of the PH's cancels, you'll be right where you are.

Celebrity does not upgrade for free. It has been sometime (as in a couple of years) where I've seen any of the upper category suites were available the day of sailing.

The best you can do is waitlist for the PH. If there is a cxl before sail date, then you will pay the difference.

However, on this ship, IMHO, it isn't worth it unless you are in one of the forward suites.. and can move aft...though I don't care much for what I call the "super-structure" balconies.

thanks for all the information!!!!! I'm new to cruising celebrity so everyone's input helps. right now the difference in price between a RS and a PS is about $1500 total. So I guess a free upgrade is out of the question, but I will still keep checking prices everyday. If it doesn't happen I'm sure we'll be more than happy in the RS.

There is not much difference in size between the Royal Suite and the Penthouse Suite on Journey or other R class ships. The major difference is due to the Royals being forward at the bow and the Penthouse being aft. Bow suites are extremely windy when the ship is underway rendering the balcony somewhat useless. Having been in a forward balcony suite on a different cruise line I don't think I would ever book one of those again. Any of the six aft penthouse suites on Journey are well worth the extra cost over the Royal suites.

The major disapointment in these suites is the fact that there is no separate shower and a only a large rather awkward tub in the master bath that you have to climb up into with very little headroom if you are in excess of 6'-0". The other poor design is the fact that there is only a curtain between the sleeping area and the living room rather than a wall with a door and that there is no walk in closet - simply a series of standard wall closets. The same is true of both the penthouse and royal suites.

Given a choice I would probably opt for one of the expanded suites on Deck 8 versus the Royal suite if the Penthouse Suite is not available. Depends on how much time you spend on your balcony when underway.

Archived