Ultimate Snorkeling v. Snorkeling @ Margaritaville Beach

ebseckar

We're trying to decide if the Ultimate Snorkeling Adventure is going to be worth it or if we should just hang out and snorkel off the beach by the pier. Any input on the quality of the snorkeling on the excursion or at the pier?

We just got back from our cruise on the Elation 2/26 to 3/3. We took the ultimate snorkeling excursion and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first stop was mainly coral and small fish. The second stop we saw many more larger fish and a friendly 3-4' barracuda. I would recommend this excursion.

Snorkeling from shore at the cruise center would probably be fine for the casual snorkeler, but for someone who is more enthusiastic about snorkeling, go with the boat trip, either a ship's excursion or a private trip.

The better snorkeling at the cruise center will be found on the right hand side of the pier.

l2.jpg

Right side for snorkeling

l3.jpg

Left side, not so good for snorkeling:

l4.jpg

Would that be to the right facing the sea, or the right facing the beach?

Thanks.

Standing on the pier next to the ship, looking at the shore. The first photo is the view with the right side, the smaller side, being the better snorkeling.

where is the dock located ? what part of the island? how far is it to pillory beach or gibb beach?
The cruise center is on the south end of the island. I don't know distances to other beaches.

Thanks Bruce R

From your pictures the R side from the dock seemed to be the better snorkeling area. Thanks for confirming that. I'll check it out although think I'll also snorkel at some of the other beaches recommended. This spot will be nice for a last minute snorkel before departure.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the power snorkel excursion through Princess and it was so much fun. Felt like James Bond. Short ride away from the cruise pier to a gorgeous beach. Waded in and power snorkelled. It was awesome. We spent the morning at Margaritteville - power snorkelled from approx 10-12 - lunch on ship and then back to Marg-ville for a short while. NICE DAY

• 4 years later...

In my album from our Nov. cruise, I have pictures of the snorkeling right at the Margaritaville beach on a day when the waters were too rough for the snorkel excursions to go out. I'll have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised that there were indeed fish, anchors, a small drop off, and other interesting things to see there. I put the album on this forum. It shouldn't be too hard to find if you're interested in seeing what's underwater there by the boat.

• 4 weeks later...
Trying to decide between ultimate snorkling here and a snorkling excursion at HMC. Will snorkle from the beach at the other location.

Opinions??

We have been on the "Ultimate Snorkel" excursion at Grand Turk twice, and I would go again. I HIGHLY recommend it. It is good for both the beginner, and the experienced snorkeler, and there is a lot to see. There are two stops, one at a shallow reef, about 8'-10' deep, and one stop out at "The Wall", which is about 30' deep. There are a lot of fish at both stops, including a "friendly" barracuda, who hangs around the shallow reef. The first year we were there, he wasn't. The second time we went, he was. They do list him as a highlight of the stop. Really neat to see him swimming wild.

5975568117_2cd33ff41b_b.jpg

P7120134 by WillieD13, on Flickr

We have also taken the "Snorkel By Boat" excursion at HMC. It was also quite enjoyable. It is not as diverse as Ultimate, with only one stop in water about 10'-12' deep, but there are a lot of pretty coral clumps, and fish everywhere.

5983837423_ef326f6984_z.jpg

P7130078 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5983835319_f47ce7b33b_z.jpg

P7130073 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5984393200_08582ea34c_z.jpg

P7130070 by WillieD13, on Flickr

The only drawback is that the wind and current come from the east. Grand Turk shelters the bay somewhat, so the water is calmer. At HMC the snorkel destination is on the south side, so gets the full brunt of the wind, which does create a surf, and the current is noticeable, and will carry you. When we were at HMC in 2010, they cancelled the excursion because the water was too rough. In 2011, we were able to go.

Either one is good, but if I had to choose one, I would definitely take "Ultimate Snorkel".

Archived