transfer help

Can someone please help me with the following transfers.

We will arrive in amsterdam airport early am. We need to get to the Barbizon Hotel which they tell me is very close to the central station.

From the Barbizon, we have to get ourselves to Rotterdam to meet the HAL Rotterdam for our baltic cruise.

After our cruise we arrive back in Copenhagen and have to get ourselves to a hotel near central station Copenhagen. We spend one day there then have to get ourselves to the Copenhagen Airport.

Please advise us on the best way to do this. I read about the trains or would a taxi be better.

If you recommend the train can you be specific and tell me which one to take?

Thanks for any help

Sue

Yes, the Barbizon is spitting distance (even for an average spitter) from the Central train station in Amsterdam. Here is the procedure:

After getting off the plane and remembering how to walk again, get some Euros. There are both exchange booths and ATMs. Not to worryy, the airport (Schiphol) is well sign-posted and user-friendly. After going through passport control and collecting your luggage you will exit into the main departure hall. You can either grab a taxi, take the train or tkae the shuttle bus. If you opt for the train, you either need to wait in line at the ticket windows or use the machines. There are boards showing the track to go to (they are down moving stairways right inside the departure lounge -- there are also elevators). Normally the trains to Centraal use patforms 1 and 2. Occasional through trains which also make the transit might use other platforms. Second class is 3.60 euro and first class is 6.10. The trip takes something like 15 to 20 minutes. The only reason to take 1st class is that it will be less crowded and there will be more room for your luggage. After arriving at Centraal, use the main exit, look left and you will see the hotel.

To get to the ship in Rotterdam, you can go via train and taxi, train and public transportation (which will not be fun with lots of luggage) or spend lots of money and hire a car and driver for a direct transfer. Unless I had way too much luggage, I'd go with the train and taxi route.

Cruise ships dock (or at least used to) at two different places in Copenhagen. The train ride is easy. I haven't done this is several years, but the airport train station was in Terminal 3 with a free shuttle bus to Terminal one (terminal 2 is very close and you walk there if needed). Just as in Amsterdam, there are both ticket windows and machines. Also as in Amsterdam, the trains are easy and frequent. Everything is well sign-posted and the Danish speak better English than you and I do so don't worry about getting around. The Airport might be shown on signs ans Copenhagen H.

All the above siad, when traveling with my wife, we usually take taxis rather than schelepping 48 suitcases, 92 carry-ons and 18 pieces of other junk. When traveling by myself, I take the train. It's easy with only a backpack.:)

Paul

I replied to your question in the other Europe board and copy:

It looks like you stay in the Barbizon Palace hotel which is opposite Centraal Station, this is walking distance. (There also is a Barbizon near Leidseplein)

Train from Schiphol airport are frequent, only watch all your belongings at all times. You will have to load/unload it yourself in the train.

Another option can be this shuttlebus: http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

A taxi from the airport to your hotel will cost around Euro 50.,- depending on the traffic.

There are regular trains from Amsterdam Centraal to Rotterdam Centraal Station. In Rotterdam you need either a cab or the metro to the cruise terminal. Trains can be rather full, so maybe for this stretch which is about 1 hr. 1st class might be better.

Rotterdam CS is about 2 miles from the cruise terminal

Maybe HAL offers transfers that would be easier I think.

Yes, the Barbizon is spitting distance (even for an average spitter) from the Central train station in Amsterdam. Here is the procedure:

After getting off the plane and remembering how to walk again, get some Euros. There are both exchange booths and ATMs. Not to worryy, the airport (Schiphol) is well sign-posted and user-friendly. After going through passport control and collecting your luggage you will exit into the main departure hall. You can either grab a taxi, take the train or tkae the shuttle bus. If you opt for the train, you either need to wait in line at the ticket windows or use the machines. There are boards showing the track to go to (they are down moving stairways right inside the departure lounge -- there are also elevators). Normally the trains to Centraal use patforms 1 and 2. Occasional through trains which also make the transit might use other platforms. Second class is 3.60 euro and first class is 6.10. The trip takes something like 15 to 20 minutes. The only reason to take 1st class is that it will be less crowded and there will be more room for your luggage. After arriving at Centraal, use the main exit, look left and you will see the hotel.

To get to the ship in Rotterdam, you can go via train and taxi, train and public transportation (which will not be fun with lots of luggage) or spend lots of money and hire a car and driver for a direct transfer. Unless I had way too much luggage, I'd go with the train and taxi route.

Cruise ships dock (or at least used to) at two different places in Copenhagen. The train ride is easy. I haven't done this is several years, but the airport train station was in Terminal 3 with a free shuttle bus to Terminal one (terminal 2 is very close and you walk there if needed). Just as in Amsterdam, there are both ticket windows and machines. Also as in Amsterdam, the trains are easy and frequent. Everything is well sign-posted and the Danish speak better English than you and I do so don't worry about getting around. The Airport might be shown on signs ans Copenhagen H.

All the above siad, when traveling with my wife, we usually take taxis rather than schelepping 48 suitcases, 92 carry-ons and 18 pieces of other junk. When traveling by myself, I take the train. It's easy with only a backpack.:)

Paul

Thank you Paul for your detailed information. I will print it out and take it with me.

Suzanne

I replied to your question in the other Europe board and copy:

It looks like you stay in the Barbizon Palace hotel which is opposite Centraal Station, this is walking distance. (There also is a Barbizon near Leidseplein)

Train from Schiphol airport are frequent, only watch all your belongings at all times. You will have to load/unload it yourself in the train.

Another option can be this shuttlebus: http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

A taxi from the airport to your hotel will cost around Euro 50.,- depending on the traffic.

There are regular trains from Amsterdam Centraal to Rotterdam Centraal Station. In Rotterdam you need either a cab or the metro to the cruise terminal. Trains can be rather full, so maybe for this stretch which is about 1 hr. 1st class might be better.

Rotterdam CS is about 2 miles from the cruise terminal

Maybe HAL offers transfers that would be easier I think.

Thank you for your information. When I submitted the question I thought it didnt post because I couldnt find it.

I will take all the information with me . Thanks again

Archived