More strenuous, fear-factor type Zip Line?

mtemple

My DH and I are going to Roatan in September and really wanted to do a jungle tour and/or zip line/canyoning adventure. I'm interested in finding out the best one for two thrill seekers who still would like to return in one piece! =) I've been zip lining in the past, but DH has never been, so I would like to take him on a trip to remember. We are both fit and in our late 20s, if that helps at all. The scarier and more thrill driven, the better. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

We went on the Pirates zipline in Roatan in December. It's the only one we've ever done, so we have nothing to compare it too, but I'd say it was strenuous, in places. The actual zipping part was really fun, but didn't have any fear-factor that I could see, just a lovely ride through the trees. I don't think it was scary at all, unless you have a serious height phobia. Maybe just a little thrill the first time you let yourself go.

As to the strenuous factor, this zipline definitely fits the bill. It had several cables or bridges to cross that took some serious strength, balance and agility to maneuver. One bridge was fairly easy, with closely spaced planks, although balancing on the swinging bridges and cables wasn't easy. (Of course, you are always hooked to the top cable with your harness.) Another bridge had very widely spaced boards that were a real challenge to step from one to another--I'm 5'4" and it was all I could do to reach from one to another. There is also a very small climbing wall.

We saw three people who had pretty bad scrapes on theis arms and legs, I think from slipping off the boards on the bridges and scraping against the boards. I also saw a couple of people who got off at the bridges and walked on the ground, only doing the zipping portion.

That said, my husband and I are 60 & 61 and we handled it, though with some effort. We are in decent shape, no physical problems of any kind; it should be pretty easy for people in their twenties. We'd do the same zipline again if we had the chance. I know there are others in Roatan, and some I believe have more zipping and are less strenuous. Have Fun!

I tried to upload a picture of the easiest bridge, but not sure it will work.

Untitled-1.jpg.a583240c902af13eafea0e5b00f6dcb6.jpg

We went on the Pirates zipline in Roatan in December. It's the only one we've ever done, so we have nothing to compare it too, but I'd say it was strenuous, in places. The actual zipping part was really fun, but didn't have any fear-factor that I could see, just a lovely ride through the trees. I don't think it was scary at all, unless you have a serious height phobia. Maybe just a little thrill the first time you let yourself go.

As to the strenuous factor, this zipline definitely fits the bill. It had several cables or bridges to cross that took some serious strength, balance and agility to maneuver. One bridge was fairly easy, with closely spaced planks, although balancing on the swinging bridges and cables wasn't easy. (Of course, you are always hooked to the top cable with your harness.) Another bridge had very widely spaced boards that were a real challenge to step from one to another--I'm 5'4" and it was all I could do to reach from one to another. There is also a very small climbing wall.

We saw three people who had pretty bad scrapes on theis arms and legs, I think from slipping off the boards on the bridges and scraping against the boards. I also saw a couple of people who got off at the bridges and walked on the ground, only doing the zipping portion.

That said, my husband and I are 60 & 61 and we handled it, though with some effort. We are in decent shape, no physical problems of any kind; it should be pretty easy for people in their twenties. We'd do the same zipline again if we had the chance. I know there are others in Roatan, and some I believe have more zipping and are less strenuous. Have Fun!

I tried to upload a picture of the easiest bridge, but not sure it will work.

Thanks for the info, my husband and I also fit the same description as above, late 20's and adventurous. This zipline tour sounds like something right up our ally. Do you happen to remeber what tour it was? Did you book through the cruise, or on your own? Thanks

We used Victor Bodden Tours and had a private driver and cab for the day. We went first to the iguana farm, sightseeing along the way, then to the Zipline. I think it was called "Pirates of the Carribbean" or maybe just "Pirates". I think it was about $35 pp. for the zipline. Afterwards our driver took us to West Bay to a nice beach. We got back in time for some shopping near the pier. We booked on our own, through recommendations on this web site.

Here's a picture of me coming in on one of the ziplines. I hope. (not too good at attaching photos yet.

Untitled-1.jpg.c7f4fe5323e2349e91194f35ec6aaa38.jpg

We used Victor Bodden Tours and had a private driver and cab for the day. We went first to the iguana farm, sightseeing along the way, then to the Zipline. I think it was called "Pirates of the Carribbean" or maybe just "Pirates". I think it was about $35 pp. for the zipline. Afterwards our driver took us to West Bay to a nice beach. We got back in time for some shopping near the pier. We booked on our own, through recommendations on this web site.

Here's a picture of me coming in on one of the ziplines. I hope. (not too good at attaching photos yet.

Do you think it is possible to do this zipline without booking a tour with Victor Bodden? I think we just want to do the zipline and then hang out for the rest of the day, maybe even go back to the ship, I wouldn't want to pay through Victor Bodden for the entire day... Any suggestions.. Does this ziplining place have a website? Can we book them ahead of time?

I'm sorry that I don't know how to post a link to a website, but I googled "Roatan Pirates zip line" and found their site listed. It is Pirates of the Caribbean . It looks like it now costs $45pp and you can book ahead. I don't know if this is necessary, according to the crowd the day we were there, which was light, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also on that google page were links to information about Roatan, including a Cruise Critic article that told about kinds of transportation available. It looks like the options, if not taking a tour, are rent a car, take a taxi or take a mini-bus. I do recall many taxis and people or booths selling tours as you walked down the tour.

Good luck and have fun!

I'm sorry that I don't know how to post a link to a website, but I googled "Roatan Pirates zip line" and found their site listed. It is Pirates of the Caribbean . It looks like it now costs $45pp and you can book ahead. I don't know if this is necessary, according to the crowd the day we were there, which was light, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also on that google page were links to information about Roatan, including a Cruise Critic article that told about kinds of transportation available. It looks like the options, if not taking a tour, are rent a car, take a taxi or take a mini-bus. I do recall many taxis and people or booths selling tours as you walked down the tour.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much, I'm going to check it out right now!

Hi there,

We are booking the Roatan tour w/Victor too and would like to know: Do you need to reserve this zipline ahead of time? If so, what website did you use? If not, do you just stop there and do it? Should I contact Victor to find out?

Thanks

Patti

We didn't reserve the zipline ahead of time, though I did mention in my email to Victor that we wanted to do a zipline, then told our driver the same thing when we met him at the dock. I don't know if Victor had a reservation for us at the zipline or not, but I don't think so--it wasn't particularly busy There were several cars there and we waited a few minutes while the group ahead of us got done zipping; part of that time we were getting hooked into our harness. I think there were about six in our group.

Have fun!

Archived