LAX Help Please

Hello,

Need your help please. At present we are sailing on Monarch of the Seas, and the cruise ends tomorrow in LA. We had a tour booked through RCCL for the highlights of LA (5hrs longs) which at the end dropped us off at LAX so we could catch our flight back to Heathrow at 5pm, however this tour has now been cancelled.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do from when we dock until our flight at 5pm (we do have luggage). If we go to LAX can we drop our luggage off and go anywhere? The thought of sitting in an airport for up to 9 hours before a 10hr flight is not pretty.

Many thanks

Steven:)

My Hubby and I always rent a car! The LAX airport no longer lets you store luggage due to security reasons! If you rent a car you can go to Santa Monica Pier, Laguna Beach, Hunnington beach, Venice beach there would be so many options! Make sure you keep most if not all of your bags in the trunk of the car for security purposes! We rent from Budget but there are penty of car rental agencies! You can do a search online! Hertz offers great rates if you have Triple A membership! I hope this helps! Happy sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

I live in the LA area. My advice is to rent a car and you can have a nice time within 30 - 45 min. of the airport. You can go to Marina Del Rey for nice walking around, harbor, etc or go to Venice Beach for a real LA experience on the beach with a boardwalk of shops, and every kind of person you'd ever want to see; definitely a fun afternoon thing to do. Further up is Santa Monica with a pier, promenade above the beach, etc. To be safe if you don't have a lot of time, the Marina or Venice are close to LAX and easy to get to as well. Have fun! (Better than the ships tour I am sure)

I live in the LA area. My advice is to rent a car and you can have a nice time within 30 - 45 min. of the airport. You can go to Marina Del Rey for nice walking around, harbor, etc or go to Venice Beach for a real LA experience on the beach with a boardwalk of shops, and every kind of person you'd ever want to see; definitely a fun afternoon thing to do. Further up is Santa Monica with a pier, promenade above the beach, etc. To be safe if you don't have a lot of time, the Marina or Venice are close to LAX and easy to get to as well. Have fun! (Better than the ships tour I am sure)

I totally agree about Venice Beach or Marina Del Rey. However, there is no need to rent a car....a taxi will do just fine, especially if you drive on the "wrong" side of the road back home;) .

You most likely will not or should not rent a car in Los Angeles! It is very crazy with traffic at times and very hard to naviagate if not famailiar with our driving customs! You really need to be an experienced driver with major highway driving especially in and around Los Angeles! A taxi won't work because of having luggage! You could look into renting some type of limousine service with a hired driver! You could just leave all you luggage in the Limo and have the driver take you where you would like to go! This may be quite expensive or they may have some promotions or deals! Limos rent by the hour with a hired professional driver! I do not know what else to suggest other than staying on the ship until last call around noon and then just take a taxi to the airport! There is a resturant next to the airport that is very nice! You would need a taxi to get there and then to have another taxi take you to the LAX airport! I still don't know if you would want to take all of your luggage into the resturant! LAX is a massive airport and does have alot of dining options and has plenty of stores! That is too bad Royal Caribbean cancelled the LAX tour after your cruise! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do! Enjoy your cruise! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

Wait as long as you can on board and then see if RCCL can provide transportation to LAX. I think you can check in up to 3-4 hours before your departure because it's an international flight. If not, renting a car from LAX and staying in the general vicinity is okay. There's lots to do and see without getting on major freeways. Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey and Sony Studios in Carson are just north of the airport...Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes are just south of the airport.

Too bad about the cancellation but without putting out a lot of $$, this may be the easiest. Check with RCCL and see if they have any suggestions since they're the ones who cancelled the tour. Good Luck!

I wonder if it would work to take a shuttle to LAX and then take a hotel shuttle to a nearby hotel and ask them (for a price) to keep your luggage for a while. Are there any buses from LAX to somewhere interesting?

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who helped us on the matter of LAX. This is what we did in the end. We were able to stay on the ship until 10am since we were able to use the Crown and Anchor Platinum departure lounge on board. Took a tazi to LAX arriving at 11am, by the time we got checked in it was gone midday. This meant only 4 hours hanging around the airport in the departure lounge until we started to board the plane.

Thanks to everyone who gave us ideas though

Steven

Archived