Vancouver, Anchorage, and Denali hotels

YooperGale

Hi,

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has stayed at any of the following hotels:

Quality Inn at False Creek (Vancouver)

Extended Stay Deluxe Downtown (Anchorage) (formerly Aspen Hotel)

McKinley Chalet Resort (Denali)

Thanks for any information you might be willing to share!

Gale

I haven't been there yet, but I got the Extended Stay Deluxe on Hotwire for 1 night this June. Frommer's Alaska gave it a good recommendation in the 2005 edition when it was still the Aspen Hotel, so I'm hoping it is still a nice hotel.

Hi,

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has stayed at any of the following hotels:

Quality Inn at False Creek (Vancouver)

Extended Stay Deluxe Downtown (Anchorage) (formerly Aspen Hotel)

McKinley Chalet Resort (Denali)

Thanks for any information you might be willing to share!

Gale

I haven't stayed at the Extended Stay here in town but stayed at the Aspen in Soldotna and Juneau (think one stayed Aspen and the Juneau went to Extended Stay).

I've also stayed at the McKinley Chalets. Always have been able to get one of the units towards the back overlooking the Nenana River. So if you open the window you can hear the river rapids.

I've had no problems and have enjoyed staying at all of these properties.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We stayed at the Extended Stay in Anchorage last July 4th... It was OK, nothing special, but the staff was very nice and drove us to Glacier Brewhouse in their courtesy van. They also have a coin laundry on each floor which was great for us, as we were at the end of out land tour and headed to the ship the next day. They also have internet access and continental breakfast. I would stay there again.

Wife and I stayed at the Quality Inn at False Creek two years ago. Nothing extravagant but good room. They even upgraded us to a suite for no extra cost. We had their special cruise ship package that provided a breakfast in the morning plus taxi to Ballantyne Pier from which the RCCL Radiance of the Seas departed. My wife loved the location because the excellent "A Kettle of Fish" restaurant was just around the corner.

You might request a room on the backside when you check in since the front rooms are right on an extremely busy road and the bridge over Granville Island.

The Extended Stay in downtown Anchorage is within walking distance (2 blocks) to our excellent museum. It's fairly new as was known as the Aspen Hotel before it joined the Extended Stay chain.

McKinley Chalets recently remodeled and, along with the Denali Princess, is one of the largest hotels in the area. It's very spread out and the lobby often resembles an airport waiting area with all the busses arriving and departing. I've long though the best feature was the dining area overlooking the Nenana River; you can even see the raft trips head into the Nenana Canyon.

No doubt that you'll be in the heart of the action at what locals call "glitter gulch".

Thank you, Everyone!

Nancy, I also booked through Hotwire and got two rooms for $45.00 a night (each room)--one night before Denali and one night after.

Sounds like the places will all be at least acceptable for a short stay.

Gale

Thank you, Everyone!

Nancy, I also booked through Hotwire and got two rooms for $45.00 a night (each room)--one night before Denali and one night after.

Sounds like the places will all be at least acceptable for a short stay.

Gale

Just out of curiosity, when did you book on hotwire? I did it months ago, then the deal was not there a couple of weeks later. Just curious if it came back again. I have rooms booked there twice - once for a friend who is arriving a day before I am and once as we pass through Anchorage en route from Denali to Seward.

Hi fti,

I booked way back in November. Did you get the same price both times you booked? I booked two different dates, but one right after the other and got both for the $45.00 I mentioned.

Hi fti,

I booked way back in November. Did you get the same price both times you booked? I booked two different dates, but one right after the other and got both for the $45.00 I mentioned.

I booked once at $50 + taxes and several days or a week later at $37 + taxes. I think I booked about November as well. Then because it was so cheap I decided to book a room for the night I have an 8 hour "layover" in Anchorage between returning from Brooks Camp (arrive about 5pm) and flying to Minneapolis (depart the next morning at 1am). Gives me a chance to take a shower, repack, etc. I got that night for $37 + taxes as well.

Archived