Canopy Tour, Costa Rica

ChrissyUK

We did a Canopy (Zip Lines) Tour in Costa Rica a couple years ago. I don't know if it was at Mahogany Park but I'm sure they are basically all the same. We did not take a ship excursion but booked independently. The first "zip" is probably the scariest because you are not sure what to expect, but the guides (there is always one in front and one behind) take very good care of you and your safety is their upmost concern.

The first zip is the highest and you do climb up pretty high to get to that first platform.

Not that much upper body strength is needed because you are in a harness. The only time it comes into play is if you don't push off hard enough from a platform to get you to the next platform. Then you have to hand-over-hand it on the wire to get yourself to the next platform.

I'm 55 and have done it twice, first time in Costa Rica. I am very short and had a difficult time reaching high enough. I was not really scared, just unable to do it right. They told me not to pull down because that would stop me and my arm was just too short, I couldn't help it. I stopped short of the a platform and was not able to pull myself hand over hand backwards uphill for 20 feet or so. They had to come haul me in. This year I tried it again and it was great. If they make your harness too long you need longer arms - makes sense. I made sure they hooked me up better this last time and was fine. It is exhilerating but you really are going too fast to see much. You need to do your sightseeing from the platforms.

Archived