Luggage do they open every bag?

Adkmom

Do they really look in every bag. I was told by NCL you are not allowed to bring any food or drink on board. I can understand they would have a problem with soda cans in checked luggage because they may think they are beer. But do they really bother to take every bottle of water our checked luggage or even a few snack items for shore days? They only way they would know if a few granola bars are in your bag is if they open every bag.

Think about it, there are 2000 passengers, an average of 2 bags each, that's 4000 bags. They have approximately 3 hours to get all of these people and bags on board. Now, look at the number of NCL employees that you see while trying to check-in, not many. I suspect that the bags are screened similar to that of airport security, xrayed, and if something looks suspect, then it will be opened. If you follow the instructions provided regarding baggage, make sure you lock your bags! They aren't going to take your snack bars! I have in the past brought both water and snacks on board, no problems.

Stan

Do they really look in every bag. I was told by NCL you are not allowed to bring any food or drink on board. I can understand they would have a problem with soda cans in checked luggage because they may think they are beer. But do they really bother to take every bottle of water our checked luggage or even a few snack items for shore days? They only way they would know if a few granola bars are in your bag is if they open every bag.

Just speaking from sailing the Dawn out of NYC. They x-ray & screen the checked luggage at the pier. Your carry on and you are screened when you check in.

If they find something like a bottle of booze, they ask you to come to a room and open the luggage. Our friends had brought Bloody Mary Mix (2 bottles & no alcohol) and had to go the Kauala Lumpur Room to open their luggage. Since it was not booze, they were given it back. If booze is found it is taken and given back at the end of the cruise.

Hope this helps,

Monty

They do X-ray all luggage coming on board. The ship personel do not open any luggage. If they think you are carring alcohol they will tag your luggage take to one of the conference rooms and you might get a notice that your luggage is there, or if not after you've received all but one piece find out where they are checking luggage. In that room they will ask you to open the suitcase and confirm if it is alcohol. If it is they will tag it and give it back to you the last night. You can take all the snack food you want on board. But don't take any fresh fruit. That they may take. As there is an abundance of fresh fruit through out your voyage.

We have listed this many times before for non-alcohol drinks, unless you are carrying enough to feed the crew no one will stop you if you carry it aboard. There has been some anecdotal evidence that the porters don't want to check cases of soda or water but mostly if you tipped them they don't care. PLEASE DO NOT CALL NCL AND ASK. Why you say? because NCL tracks calls and when this becomes a big issue they may crack down. All bags are x-rayed as required by homeland security.

We have listed this many times before for non-alcohol drinks, unless you are carrying enough to feed the crew no one will stop you if you carry it aboard. There has been some anecdotal evidence that the porters don't want to check cases of soda or water but mostly if you tipped them they don't care. PLEASE DO NOT CALL NCL AND ASK. Why you say? because NCL tracks calls and when this becomes a big issue they may crack down. All bags are x-rayed as required by homeland security.

Thanks for saying that. I was going to post the same reply.

I have always taken water, soda and a bag of snacks aboard every ship I've traveled on in the last two years. No problem. It is booze they don't want on board. If you take water, soda, juice, snacks, etc. in your rollaboard or whatever type carryon you use the won't take your stuff away unless it is alcohol.:)

Archived