Do you purchase car rental insurance?

mscloyd

We normally do not purchase the insurance through the car rental agency as our auto policy covers car rentals in the same manner that they cover our own cars. But, our agent recommends purchasing it because if you have a problem you just turn it back over to the rental company and they take care of it - no deductible, no hassle. But, I hate to pay an extra $20 a day for something that I already have coverage for. We could purchase car rental coverage through our travel insurance for $7 a day. I'm wondering what others do and what experiences you've had. Particularly if we would have a problem in Canada. Thanks.

I've never purchased it since my insurance covers it and I usually use the Platinum or Gold credit card that also has coverage on it. I've also been lucky as to never have a wreck in a rental to test it though. ;)

I've rented cars 100s of times and never once thought about taking out the company insurance, except where required by law.

*** If you are renting in certain countries overseas (or local for those of you already overseas ;) ) Ireland and Australia come to mind as two countries that some cards and insurance wont cover. Mexico is another one. Be sure to ask your insurance agent about the specific countries you will be renting in and driving in and also read your credit card booklet you get each time the card is renewed.

Archived