Ketchikan: float planes - anyone have seasickness from the floating?

SueO

Hi - we would like to do a floatplane excursion in Ketchikan. Haven't decided between the bear watching or misty fiords. We will be there 2nd week of august. My husband suffers motion sickness but he takes bonine the entire time we are on a cruise. He has been able to do helicopters. I think he can do the flight on the float plane but is worried in case you are on the plane while it is "floating" on the water either at the beginning of the excursion or on the landing on the lake.

Would appreciate any feedback on this. I don't want a great experience to become miserable!

Thanks, sue

Have you and your husband cruised before and, if so, have you taken a tender from the ship to the pier? I've been in a lot of tenders but only one float plane ride. It seemed to me that we got about as much motion in the floatplane as in most tenders, but it doesn't last as long. The time we went, we weren't sitting on the water long either on take off or landing. If you husband tolerates tendering in, then he might be okay with the float plane also. If he's doubtful but still wants to go, I'd suggest taking a couple of large zip-lock baggies. I don't get sea sick, but I do get car sick on mountain roads (go figure on that!). If I know that I have the worst possibility - tossing my cookies - covered by having the baggies along, then it seems to help me not need them. Might work for him too. Ginger tea helps me too. You might bring along a few ginger tea bags and fill a water bottle with tea (if they'll let you off the ship with it).

I strongly suggest your husband consult a health care professional and get prescribed precautions. You are asking a question that can not be answered. I've seen sick people on flights. Time stands still for them and it's a big wasted expense since they certainly aren't enjoying themselves.

If he is prone to motion sickness, it probably isn't so specific. If you are taking a ship tour, they do just float on the pontoons, where the independents, If they have the permits, pull the plane ashore. But the permits are limited, so consider going with a small operator with only 1 plane perhaps? Contact them directly for their landing information.

Thanks for the replies. We have cruised before a few times. We've done a couple of helicopter tours and we fly alot in our traveling. He tried the patch but that made him sicker! He's found bonine does best and so far that has worked well, but somehow the staying still and rocking back and forth is the worst for him - therefore our concern regarding the float planes. I will check with a couple of independants and see if that is a better option. Thanks for the suggestion.

sue

Archived