Denali Highway Question

ruetundra

I just came across the Denali Highway 3 days ago, the latest of many trips across over the past 15 years. I consider it to be one of the best roads in Alaska, for the combination of beauty and no crowds. We only saw 4 moose this time, but sometimes there are many animals - moose, caribou and grizzly. Coming from the east, the road is is fairly good shape to Clearwater Creek (about halfway), then gets very rough - 30-35 mph is all that can be done.

I'm currently in Anchorage, en route to Whittier, Valdez, Fairbanks and Whitehorse.

Murray

I think this routing is less desirable on a bus as you have no control over the stops. The highlight is being able to pull over at a whim for the excellent scenery. I have never made it completely across in one trip but have "overlapped" on several trips from each end. :) ALWAYS had an approved "gravel road " car. There are some people who ignore this limitation with the national rental agencies- it is a big risk in my opinion.

I was all set to go on a Princess cruisetour the last 2 weeks of July, but had to cancel at the last moment because of a medical problem.(I'm about to find out how good the Princess travel insurance is)

In the run up to this trip I discovered this board, and got lots of great information, especially from Yukon and Budjet Queen. I am now in the planning stage for doing Alaska in the summer of 2005, and have come to the conclusion that I want to do my own land trip.

Here's what I'm thinking. Do two seperate trips. Get roundtrip air to Anchorage and stay about 10-14 days getting around in a rental car. At a seperate time get roundtrip air to Seattle and cruise the inside passage.

I want to drive to Denali and spend 2-3 days staying in a B%B in Healy. Ride the shuttle to Wonder Lake one day and see the dogs and the stuff at the entrance on another day. Maybe drive across the Denali Hiway. I think I'll skip Fairbanks (I've been on a paddle wheeler on the Mississippi). At the other end spend 2-3 days in Seward and do the Kenai Fjords cruise. The kicker to this is that like to fish. I'm planning to do maybe 2 saltwater trips out of Seward, and maybe fly out of Anchorage for 2-3 days of freshwater fishing.

I would certainly welcome the thoughts and suggestions of those of you who have had experience along these lines.

Best regards,

47Straight

Isn't the first 20 miles or so of the Denali Hwy pved? I think we went about that far a few years ago until the pavement stopped and maybe another mile in our rented Grand Cherokee, but didn't see any wildlife and no overwhelming picture spots or vistas. Like BQ says, you have to take your time and spend a little of it out here to capture the less visible little things. We were in a hurry to drive into denali park for our 13 miles to hold us over until our next day shuttle bus.

Denali Highway- on the Paxon end about 21 miles are paved. From Cantwell only about 3 miles. It is highly recommended you rent a 4 WD so to have good clearance. Affordable car rental allows restrictive driving on the Denali Highway- as I always mention- verify YOUR insurance - some are void on unpaved roads, credit card insurance is usually void, purchase all the extra insurance waivers from the rental company and take photos of the car before you leave the lot and note every ding.

Thanks Budget Queen - I knew you would know the answer. Thanks to all who replied.

Sure is a good thing I started out this early in my planning. I keep changing my mind on what I want to see on the land portion.

too many choices and not enough time ---wish I would win the lottery and could spend a month up there!!

47 Straight-

YOu asked for suggestions about Healy. We stayed in a B & B just outside Healy called Touch of Wilderness. It was a gorgeous location and really, really nice setup. If we get the chance to visit Alaska again we would make our reservations there first, and then book the rest of the trip's accomodations to make sure we can stay with Barbara and her "staff" again. Great, clean, new rooms with lots of common area. She also knows the area and was able to make some good suggestions for us. $$$ well spent!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been to 2 in the Denali/Healy area that are fondly memorable. There is a small, good quality restaurant at the Black Diamond golf course - they have all kinds of food.

The other, and in my opinion, the best place to eat is the small sandwich shop with no seats, with the line coming out of the door! No I don't remember its name but it is on your right just before leaving Denali Borough. I'm up there in a few weeks and am looking forward to their sandwiches!

Farther away- but worth a stop on the way- is the Lazy J Cafe, excellent burgers. :) I stop here every trip and they are the only open food in the winter for miles. The owner is very friendly and I was reminded of the remoteness when I asked if he would have any problem accepting all $1 bills. He stated- absolutely not when the nearest banks to get change are in Fairbanks or Wasilla. :)

Archived