Bayonne NJ pre-cruise

rance222

Hi,

Was looking to stay a night before our cruise and was wondering if anyone knows how far (cab cost) Jersey City is from ERK and then to the pier in Bayonne the following day.

Manahatten seems a bit too pricey.

Thanks

Hi! rance222

We were on VOS out of Bayonne in July and stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Secaucus. We live on Long Island so we drove there and they had a park and cruise package. They also had a free shuttle to the port and picked us up on return. We thought it was a great deal. If you have any other questions, be happy to answer.

I assume you are referring to Newark Airport which is EWR.

Cab fare from EWR to Jersey City will cost about $35 plus any amount for 'over-sized' baggage and tip. This is the 'official' taxi rate of a taxi taken from the taxi line, but there are some local taxi companies that you can call (once you land... they're taxis and not car services) that will take you for $25-$30.

From Jersey City to the Bayonne pier i'd guess (i've never taken it but am familiar with the area and the route they would take) would cost about $20-25. If you don't have a lot of luggage there is a Light Rail system that passes by all three of the major hotels (see below) and takes you right by the pier... cost is $1.50/pp.

The three major hotels in the area at the Hyatt, DoubleTree, and the Courtyard by Marriott (there is also a Candlewood Suites which i have heard good things about although isn't as popular as the others).

Of the three the Hyatt is the nicest as every room has a beautiful view of NYC. The DoubleTree and Courtyard are only a short distance from the Hyatt and also have the advantage of being just steps from a mall (last minute bathing suit or other clothes that you may have forgotten) as well as a large supermarket.

All three hotels have easy access to the NJ PATH train ($1.50/each way) into NYC if you want to sightsee for the day or nite. Trip on PATH to NYC is about 15 minutes or less depending upon where in NYC you want to go.

The three hotels mentioned above, as well as the Candelwood Suites, all participate with Priceline (and the at least the Hyatt participates with Hotwire) and can save you a lot of money.

If you end up in the area i can also supply some local restaurant suggestions.

Let me know if i can be of further assistance.

Thanks very much for the info.

Since the cab fare is about $35 to JC are there any other hotels that would be less money from the airport (EWR) such as Secaucus or airport hotels?

We were maybe thinking of going into Manhatten if time permits.

Thanks again.

Since the cab fare is about $35 to JC are there any other hotels that would be less money from the airport (EWR)?

We were maybe thinking of going into Manhatten if time permits.

You could get the cab fare or $25-$30 if you call a local taxi when you land (this also saves you waiting in line at the taxi stand).

If you don't have a lot of luggage there are cheaper options than a cab to JC (although taxi is the easiest and most convenient). You could actually make this trip for under $4/pp by taking public but to the PATH train... but there's a limit to the number of bags you can take on the bus and their dimensions.

If you want to go to Manhattan the JC area is by far the easiest.

As i mentioned above, depending upon day or arrival (weekend nites are best), the hotels in Jersey can go very affordably on priceline... so affordable that although i live only 2 miles away, i stayed at the Hyatt one nite just to try it out.

If you mention your budget i'll try to advise on the best options in the area.

Thereuare,

Thanks for the info.I tried priceline and my bid for JC was rejected, so I'll try again in a few days.The cruise is not till October so we have lots of time.

Another option we were thinking was getting an airport hotel.

Would it be inconvenient to visit Manhatten and back staying at the airport or is there any thing close to the airport (shopping) during the day?

Thanks again.

Nothing immediately at the airport except some good portuguese restaurants in Newark for dinner.

Just south and east of the airport is the Jersey Gardens mall (as well as an Ikea). Transportation into NYC is do-able, but when you factor in the expense ($20+/pp roundtrip unless you take a cab to Newark Penn Station which i wouldn't recommend somebody do if they're from out of town and at nite) that money would be better spent on a room with a better location.

What is the date you need the hotel for? How much did you bid on Priceline?

Thanks allot for the info.

The date is Oct.21st.I noticed a few people (actually allot) had been getting the Hyatt for $37, so that's what I tried with no luck.

I will try again in 72 hours as that location seems perfect..

Thanks again.

The Hyatt is a business hotel and the $37 rate is mostly available on weekends. Based upon the rates i'm currently seeing i don't think you'll be successful bidding at $37 (of course if rates go down between now and then you could have a chance, but based upon current rates i don't think it's likely that $37 will be enough).

I'm also interested in hotels near the port. The Crowne Plaza park and cruise deal for $149 sounds great, as well as the Hyatt. We'll be there the weekend of 9/26. Does anyone else have any comments/recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

Friday / Saturday nights for Jersey City has been in the $45 / $55 range on Priceline for Hyatt & Courtyard in Jersey City the last couple of months. You may want to up the amount a little. With access via PATH to New York for a side trip makes the extra amount worth considering.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is provision for a rental car company pick up from Port Liberty to Newark Airport to get a rental car? I'm hoping to get to the airport, rent a car and drive about 80 miles to my South Jersey home after our November 7, 2004 transatlantic on Celebrity (Barcelona to Port Liberty) arriving 11/21/04.

I plan to return the car to Newark the following day when I have to return to North Jersey on another errand and figure that this is the most economical way to get home.

Does any one have the answer, if not the best recommendation to get to Newark on our own to rent a car?

• 10 months later...

I've never used Priceline, but I understand that you bid for a certain star level of hotel in a certain area, but you don't know which hotel you'll end up with. When people say they bid for the Hyatt, how do they do that?

Archived