I need a fan to sleep...

man3fan

just wondering if the "white noise" machines are loud enoug to drown out someone that snores, without having to take a full size box fan ?

I bought a cheap little noise machine for just that reason. I have to sleep with it fairly close to my head, but yeah, it drowns out all but the very very worst of the snoring noise. I definitely plan on taking it with us on our cruise!

Linda

This is GREAT!!!!!! I have been asking this question for months. We are booked in May on the Victory. My DH snores bad, bad, bad. The last cruise my son and I did not sleep for 7 nights how miserable. I purchased a 10" fan at Brandsmart (if you have one) for 7.99 with 3 controls, hope it works. I think I will also tag a box fan and if it makes it there ok and if not I'll have this one. I asked Carnival and they laughed at me and told me to put him out on deck, haha. You guys are great.

Did they run the box fan with your luggage and it made it ok???

Happy cruising

This is like a fan-addict support group. :D

*stands up* My name is Zipliner and I am a fan addict. ((Hi Zipliner!))

Actually, we have no choice. We live on a busy street. If we didn't have a fan, we couldn't sleep for all the traffic whizzing by. So now we're addicted.

I think it's interesting that some gals buy fans/noisemakers to drown out the snoring. We've used a fan for years and hubby can drown that sucker out in a heartbeat! :o

I'm glad you posted this thread. I had planned on buying a tiny porta-fan. But now I may just check into the noise machine instead. I don't need the breeze (in fact, that part keeps me awake if it blows on me) - I just need a humming noise.

my little brother also needs a fan to sleep - both the noise and the breeze from it. He slept on the couch/bed in our room and though we did bring a power strip did not have an extention cord so the cord to the fan was strung from the desk to the table by the couch. I tripped over it a couple times ... grrr ... so would definately suggest bringing an extention cord. He had a small fan that took up 1/2 of his carry on or so - it was a must :)

I have a white noise machine mainly to drown out my husband, who snores. It doesn't actually drown him out, but gives me something to focus my attention on other than his snoring. I'd be lost without it. It goes everywhere we go. Got it from JC Penney - $50.00, but so worth it. It's called a "sleep mate" - has two different white noise levels and very compact; round, about six inches diameter.

We have one of these to drown out neighborhood noise(barking dogs, parties, etc) but the machine keeps me awake!:eek: It is better than the outside noise tho'!

I am also a member of the "fan club". When we were talking the other day about our next cruise I told my husband and the other couple we are traveling with that I was packing my fan next time and they laughed at me. The idea of buying one at Wal-mart and donating it at the end sounds great. My boys also sleep with one, too. I like the air circulation and since I have to take my husband who snores we are for sure bringing them this time. I did not know that I could check it though.

I also need a fan to sleep and routinely take one with me to hotels and such. I did not on the cruise and I had no problem. We were very low in the boat with an OV room and the sound of the boat was enough to lull me to sleep everytime. The air conditioner ran constantly and it was nice, cool, and relaxing. I absolutely cannot sleep where it is noise free, but had no problem on the ship. We were on Fascination.

I also have to have a fan to sleep.....on our last cruise on the Fantasy I bought a small plug in fan and I slept great!!!! And yes I will be bringing it with me on our next cruise aboard the Glory!!!!:D

My Mom sleep s wih one as well as my whole family. She bought a cheap 15.00 box fan to make sure she had enought movement of the air and noise the night we got to Florida. She taped a carnival luggage tag on it and checked it at the pier with the porters. It arrived safe and sound that evening. At the end of the cruise she gave it to our stewards so as not to fly home with it.

We have traveled with a small (6 inch) fan for years, we call it our "travel fan". We also have a white noise machine, but we take both as the fan comes in handy to air out our tennis shoes after working out in the gym or walking the track. Don't forget the power strip and extension cord!! And I thought we were the only ones!!! :D

I think we will bring our fan and (buy) a noise maker.

I love my sleep at night. We are early risers.

I love this message board, I've been burning it up;)

My husband laughs at me everytime he looks at the computer screen.

just wondering if the "white noise" machines are loud enoug to drown out someone that snores, without having to take a full size box fan ?

It depends on how loud the snoring is. Earplugs have been known to work but then you wouldn't hear the white noise. :p

I too need white noise to sleep. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this.

I also need a fan to sleep. Just love that motor running and making noise. Have never taken one on a cruise. Just have to grin and bear it. Took one of those white noise machines once that made ocean noises and rain noises but didn't quite do it. Cruising is being pampered and waited on but fans are not included in the cruise package.

Ive been a "fanner" since about 11 yrs. of age.

In Alaska, I slept in the basement and turned the dryer on max # of minutes, so I could go to sleep.

When returned to Fl. in '68 used the exhaust fan in bathroom to sleep. Think we burn out about 4 or 5 while Dad stationed there in USAF.

When out on my own started using box fans to go to sleep.

Whenever Im traveling, if I forget to bring my fan, I usually turn the fan to run all the time on thermostat.

When the electricity goes off, and Im asleep, I will wake before the blades quit turning.

I cant stand to hear cars going by, crickets outside, sirens on vehicles, car doors shutting, someone outside talking, someone else in house coughing, snoring, getting up to go the bathroom etc. My noise drowns out all of that, but I will hear the doorbell, children crying, DW getting up or anything else out of ordinary that alerts me to be cautious.

I LOVE MY FAN!!

Hollywood

I use the Sleep Mate which you can order online. It's a white noise machine with 2 speeds. You can also dial the casing to make the noise softer or louder. I've had my machine for over 20 years. I use this machine every night and it goes EVERYWHERE with me! I think it's great we are all discovering "we are not alone......."

naturestapestry_1938_10902355

Count me in as a fan lover too. Have been doing this for about 25 years. I'v gotta have the noise and the air blowing. Even if its freezing outside, the fan goes on. A ceiling fan will not do the trick, gotta be a 14" fan on the dresser, on oscillating! I also cannot wear pajamas, just my boxers. I can't believe people wear pajamas to bed! What is the point? I haven't worn them since my mom stopped making me when I was a kid.

P.S. What a great thread!!:D

Count us in as another couple who cannot sleep w/o white noise! DH and I also won't leave home unless we have our "sleepmate." We got ours at JC Penney too but I think you can find them less expensive elsewhere. If you are in a balcony cabin though, just leave your door open- nothing beats the sound of the ocean. And if you put a magnet where the door closes, your ac will stay on and keep you cool all night!

Have a great cruise!!:)

I know this is silly, but my husband and I can NOT sleep without the noise of a fan. Does anyone know if Carnival has any fans to supply us with, or should we just look crazy and carry one on. I refuse to try to sleep without one. We are booked on the Glory May 19.

Ooooh, ooooh, I have just the thing for you. We have a little round thingy, yes thingy that makes a fan type of sound. It it called Sound Shied, and you can buy it from Sky Mall. Ours is old so it has a cord but I think the newer ones don't. We use that thing every night, we take it everywhere. When we forget it:( I run the fan in the bathroom all night.

Archived