I need a fan to sleep...

man3fan

I know this is silly, but my husband and I can NOT sleep without the noise of a fan. Does anyone know if Carnival has any fans to supply us with, or should we just look crazy and carry one on. I refuse to try to sleep without one. We are booked on the Glory May 19.

Bring one along...

....And bring a long extension cord because the only outlets are on the desk/dressing table.

BTW...you are not silly. I need the breeze of a fan to help me sleep. I have a small one though that runs on batteries.

My dh and I have a small fan that we carried with us on the Glory and the Conquest as we too cannot sleep without the noise. However, my dd gave us a sound machine that is about the size of a small radio which we now travel with which is as good if not better than the fan. The added plus is that it has a clock that illuminates on the ceiling. Hope this helps.

Hi man3fan - My husband and I always used to sleep with a fan but two years ago someone suggested we try a 'white noise' maker instead. I bought one from Wal-Mart ($12 or so) near the cosmetic/pharmacy area. It works great and has several different sounds such as birds singing, forest, white noise, waterfall, etc. We put it on waterfall and because this isn't very high quality - it provides perfect 'white noise' without sounding too much like water. The volume is adjustable. Ours is about 5" x 6" and I believe it can run off batteries.

Just checking Wal-Mart's website - here is one they have listed at $19.99 (similar to mine):

0003126201267_215X215.jpg

For a little more, it looks like they have the same kind that also shines a digital clock on the ceiling. We have a separate clock like that and we love it. To get the two combined would be convenient.

Good luck with what decide to use. We will be bringing ours on the cruise in 26 days!!!

Luanne

Me too! Mine goes with me all over, I should get it a passport. Honeywell makes a small 10" black fan that is quite good and moves the air well too. it even fits into my carry on back pack. its like my american express, dont leave home without it!

I know this is silly, but my husband and I can NOT sleep without the noise of a fan. Does anyone know if Carnival has any fans to supply us with, or should we just look crazy and carry one on. I refuse to try to sleep without one. We are booked on the Glory May 19.

On my first cruise, although the air conditioner in the room was very cold,

there was no circulation of the air and it was difficult to be comfortable.

Maintenance could not fix the problem so they brought in a fan for us to

use. It was wonderful although they apparently have a very limited supply of them and had a hard time finding the one that was put in our room.

When I started planning the next cruise, I decided to look around and

see what I could find....Target had a small --probaby 6"--desk top

style electric fan in no other than a Pink, Hello Kitty design, on clearance for $2.24. (Well it was Hello Kitty or Super Heroes):rolleyes:

Anyway, that was the best $2.24 I have spent in a long time! It is small enough to fit easily into your luggage and at that price if it did get damaged, it would not be a big deal.

My Hello Kitty fan is sitting on the shelf in the storage room now, just waiting until I can pack it for my next cruise coming up on Labor day! :D

I took a fan on the Celebration for the noise and couldn't hear it over the AC. :confused: Unfortunately you have no way to know if that is the case before the cruise. I would be interested in one of those noise machines, since they seem more compact.

I have to have something to listen to. in order to go to sleep. Sometimes a fan, if the weather is warm along with a noise machine. Will alternate forest sounds with ocean sounds. If I don't have, my mind works overtime and I cannot get to sleep. Have a great cruise and hope you sleep like a baby.

Carol

There's a lot of things recommended on this board that I NEVER pack like bungee cord, shoe organizer, duct tape etc. but we never go without our fan. It comes apart in 2 pieces and is about 6" in diameter and fits in the luggage just fine.

For us, it's not about the noise or the temperature, it's about moving the air around in the cabin. Nothing better than laying in the sun then going to the cabin, take a shower, flip on the fan and take a nap! :D

I had to laugh when I read this Thread. I ALWAYS have brought a fan and also cannot live without it. Bring a Power Strip, Extention cord, and a small fan so you can put anywhere in the cabin.

Very cool, have a great Next Cruise.

Take a fan with you. We just got off the Liberty and carried TWO fans with us. Both are small personal fans ( 6 to 10 in.) I get very hot and like it very cold when I sleep. The fans were on 24/7. We never go on a ship without them.

Great for the noise but even better for the air circulation. Remember , Don't forget the power strip. It really does come in handy.

I have a white noise machine mainly to drown out my husband, who snores. It doesn't actually drown him out, but gives me something to focus my attention on other than his snoring. I'd be lost without it. It goes everywhere we go. Got it from JC Penney - $50.00, but so worth it. It's called a "sleep mate" - has two different white noise levels and very compact; round, about six inches diameter.

funny you mentioned it, after 12 cruises my DH has to stop on the way to the pier and buy a floor fan about 10 bucks at walmart or walgreens. He tags it at the pier and ir shows up in the cabin. At the end of the cruise he gives it to the cabin steward, which seems pleased to have it too. They also say tons of people bring them on. He only buys them because it comes boxed neatly and not costing much. Also if were on a plane dont want to bother with it. Your not alone. Once we didnt do it, and it took a few days to get sleep had to prop the balcony door open to hear the wind.

Wow I thought I was the only one!! Hubby and I went on a cruise to Alaska and I had to keep the door open at night by wedging a chair. But sometimes the wind would blow the door wide open and the chair would move out of place. I could hardly sleep at all that week and I wished I had my fan with me. Not going to make the same mistake this year, I bought a sound conditioner (Sleep Mate) so I can sleep without hearing hubbies nose whistle.. (he's broken it a few times) :p Happy snoozin!

just wondering if the "white noise" machines are loud enoug to drown out someone that snores, without having to take a full size box fan ?

The inexpensive one I bought from Wal-Mart has a volume control that works very well. Best $12 ever spent.

We're in the fan of fans club too!

If I let my dh bring his beloved sleeping fan my two boys will want to bring theirs! It's a father & son trait at our house that none of them like to sleep without fans....packing 3 fans just seems ridiculous.

Archived