Liberty question-White water rafting

westwingjazz

We are taking off in 30 days :D :D :D :D !! In Limon, we plan on taking a excursion-white water rafting. Has anyone experinced this excursion thus far? And what do you suggest; go through Carnival for $99 pp (we have a family of 5) or find a tour guide on the pier? Help me out you guys...

Thanks

We did the white water rafting trip through Carnival - at that time, we felt it was safer, as it was one of Liberty's first voyages with that itinerary (Costa Rica, Panama, etc.) We had a blast. I had my dh and 2 dd's along. (14 and 17) We were loaded onto a raft with around 4 other people - there were 6 rafts thru Carnival at that time period. A guide instructed us what to do - most of the river was calm, but there were a few rough spots - one where we got pushed into a rock wall and almost overturned. (event the guide was worried over that one!!) We had water fights with the other rafts, we were allowed to get out and swim at one point - it was great! Helmets and life jackets were mandatory - wear water shoes also. I know it is probably a bit cheaper picking up a guide at the pier, but Costa Rica was an unknown port, and with the "trouble" those tourists had a couple of weeks ago, and with the narrow roads there, I would put my safety in the hands of Carnival for this one!!:)

For those that already did the white water rafting in Limon do you remember the river's name that you were on? I've been in contact with a few local guides and I'm either trying to find a guide service that uses the same river as carnival or one fairly close. Also you mentioned there were a lot of calm spots, what time of year did you go as we are going in July? I'm hoping to find a private tour that has class 4 to 5 rapids as I think the tour carnival does is only class 2 and 3. Thanks

Rich

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the river we rafted on. We went

during Christmas break - when the water was on the "high" side. If the water is too rough, they cancel the excursion. I did hear that there was another river somewhere that had higher rated rapids, but it was way over 2 hours away - probaby too long to make it there and back to the ship in time. Also - I'm sure it wouldn't look too good for an excursion to have injuries on the trip- class 2-3 is wild enough for most people. (also - if my girls were not along, we would have liked something a bit "wilder" also - but this was perfect for all - the guides on each raft were a riot, and kept all amused with races, etc. Hope this helps a bit.

Archived