NCL Honolulu Pier changes effective 03/17/07

SweetEmi

I found this on the home page at NCL.com when I went there to see if maybe they bumped me to a better room (wishful thinking)...

Honolulu Pier Change effective 3/17/07

Miami - March 14, 2007 ---

Please be advised that beginning March 17,2007, Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Wednesday sailings of Norwegian Wind will be departing from the Pier 2 Cruise Terminal at the Honolulu Harbor. The pier is located at the end of Channel Street at 521 Ala Moana Blvd, and is adjacent to the Foreign Trade Zone #9.

Saturday sailings of Norwegian Wind will continue to depart from Pier 10/11 Aloha Tower Market Place.

Emi

This change was supposed to happen earlier but they postponed it several times, I think many delays in preparing pier 2.

There is a free shuttle to the aloha tower I believe.

Restaurant row is across the street from pier 2, several very nice restaurants and a movie theatre.

Even though it doesn't say so directly...by reading between the lines, on the Wind you will get on the ship at one pier and get off the ship at another. We did that in November. We got on at Aloha Tower and got off somewhere else nearby and I guess it must have been pier 2.

Emi

So, aside from restaurants and a movie theatre, is there much else to do near pier 2? We’re arriving in Honolulu a couple days prior to our cruise, but the morning of I was planning on dropping off the car and getting to the pier around noon. Since the PoH doesn’t leave until 8:00pm I was thinking of spending a few hours in the immediate area before we boarded.

Seems like the Aloha Tower and the Falls of Clyde are within walking distance for a reasonably active family. Is that really the case? (I’ve looked at the area in Google Earth, but sometimes distances – and access – can be misleading). A shuttle would be great, but I’m thinking of a plan B, just in case.

Anything else within a half mile or so that we should check out?

So, aside from restaurants and a movie theatre, is there much else to do near pier 2? We’re arriving in Honolulu a couple days prior to our cruise, but the morning of I was planning on dropping off the car and getting to the pier around noon. Since the PoH doesn’t leave until 8:00pm I was thinking of spending a few hours in the immediate area before we boarded.

Seems like the Aloha Tower and the Falls of Clyde are within walking distance for a reasonably active family. Is that really the case? (I’ve looked at the area in Google Earth, but sometimes distances – and access – can be misleading). A shuttle would be great, but I’m thinking of a plan B, just in case.

Anything else within a half mile or so that we should check out?

Pier 2 is certainly not as convenient as piers 10/11 which are part of the Aloha Tower complex . Still, it is not a very long walk from one to the other , weather permitting . I am not sure that I would want to make this walk after dark , however .

The nice thing about the theater over at Restaurant Row (across the streets) is that it is a multiplex showing "second-run" movies for $1.00. If you need to kill time, it is not a bad place. CompUSA is right across the street, also. It depends which day of the week your departure is as to how much of downtown is open. The bus system runs right by there, though, and is quite convenient.

Pete

The nice thing about the theater over at Restaurant Row (across the streets) is that it is a multiplex showing "second-run" movies for $1.00. If you need to kill time, it is not a bad place. CompUSA is right across the street, also. It depends which day of the week your departure is as to how much of downtown is open. The bus system runs right by there, though, and is quite convenient.

Pete

Does anyone know what bus number to take to China Town and to the Iolani Palace from this new pier location? I know it's walkable - but we will have our parents with us and a bus would be better for them.

Thanks!

On my computer the postcards are ABOVE the Important Update section so my only thought is that your screen size or your font size or something is bigger than mine and so it is causing the postcards to cover up the link to the update. I'm not that knowledgable about it though so I could be way off base.

Emi

On my computer the postcards are ABOVE the Important Update section so my only thought is that your screen size or your font size or something is bigger than mine and so it is causing the postcards to cover up the link to the update. I'm not that knowledgable about it though so I could be way off base.

Emi

Actually, my problem seems to be something else. On other people's computers, below "Important information", it has the link. On my computer, that link disapears. The link for the freestyle brochure also disapears.

If I turn off Flash, the links both work, but hardly anything else works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash, but that did not help. Any ideas? Is Flash conflicting with something else?

We were planning on going to Chinatown and walking around that area after we check in on the ship. Now that they have moved the location of embarkation, I'd love to hear advice on the best way to do this. I had already researched the things to do close to Aloha Tower, so now we start over!!

Can we still walk? My parents (active mid 60's) will be with us. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Actually, with that many people, I would suggest a cab. The bus is $2 per person ($1 for seniors - Medicare age) each way, but a cab should be less than $5. It is about a mile from the new pier.

No luck attaching an image. The way it is processed, it's too small to be useful.

Send an e-mail to odblntatyahoodotcom and I will send you a map of the area with Chinatown indicated.

Pete

MikeKaye ~

Where is Pier 2 in relation to that AWESOME fish taco place in Honolulu?

Wahoo's fish taco is only 3/4 mile away. (three quarters of a mile)

This is next to a pretty major restaurant and shopping complex: Ward Warehouse, Ward center, Ward entertainment center.

There's also a dixie grill nearby, I know you people are probably rolling your eyes but I love southern BBQ fare.

A further mile away is Ala Moana center, even bigger shopping area and the buses in the area all go through it. Across the street is Ala Moana beach park, very large park with lots of family local life on weekends.

Chinatown is 1.25 miles away. That's 2.5 miles round trip.

Iolani palace is almost 1 mile away. That's 2 miles round trip. (Thought it was closer, guess not)

Maybe you could walk one way and taxi/bus the other, but I don't think I'd walk it both ways.

I figured out the problem. The Ad Blocking feature of Norton Personal Firewall was blocking those links. For now, I turned that feature off. Does anyone know how I can configure Norton Personal Firewall so that I can still block ads without blocking those links? Thank you.

Ok I have a really good map but it's only PDF (adobe acrobat)

Go to this link and select some checkboxes. You'll have to zoom several times to get a good view but the quality is excellent.

http://tgi.glhserver.com/Oahu/Honolulu/pdf/pdf.a.php?trans_x=127&trans_y=80

I suggest checking

* Iolani Palace (Everyone should consider checking this out)

* Statue of Kamehameha I (across from iolani palace)

* Kawaiahao Church (first christian church in hawaii, close to iolani palace)

* Chinatown (buy some leis here)

* Restaurant Row (Just across from pier 2 where the ships pull in)

* Ala Moana Shopping Center (truly huge shopping center)

* Aloha Tower & Marketplace (where the NCL "Pride" ships used to dock)

* Ward Centre, Ward Warehouse (shopping/good restaurants)

* Hawaii Maritime Center/falls of clyde (nice ship museum walking distance)

* Honolulu Academy of the Arts (nice art museum and cafe)

* Ala Moana Beach Park (box hidden at lower left, big park with lots of local life on weekends, festivals)

Pier 2 is on channel street, look below restaurant row.

This is only what is within 2 miles of the ship, there is 100 times more to do on Oahu.

Archived