Pre-emptive weight loss

Orcrone

Do you lost weight before a cruise?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lost weight before a cruise?

• Yes, I try to lose weight before I go on a cruise.
    • I don't put on much weight - not going to worry about it.
    • I lose it when I get back home.
    • Watch what I eat to avoid putting on weight.
    • Go to the gym to avoid putting on weight.

Does anyone try to take off some weight before a cruise to combat the almost inevitable weight gain during the cruise?

You can vote in more than one category.

Stupid me. I didn't realize when I voted that you could vote in more than one category. I chose that I don't put much weight on during a cruise, so I don't worry about it. However, I do make at least a small effort to lose a few pounds before a cruise because, frankly, I can't afford to gain much weight. I'm a "larger size" now ... not obese, but not skinny either.

I have actually gone on cruises and lost weight because my activity level is higher on a cruise ... especially on a port-intensive one. On my last cruise, I tended to eat more than usual because I went to the dining room every night ... I had great CC tablemates ... and I still only put on about two pounds.

I find that the key to not gaining weight on a cruise is to eat only when you are hungry. Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to consume it all. :) I am not at all shy about going to the dining room and only ordering soup and a salad if I am not really hungry. Though this doesn't happen that often since my routine is normally a good breakfast and then not eat another meal until dinner, I usually have a good appetite by the time dinner rolls around.

Also, I don't snack a lot ... neither at home or on a cruise. I'm not much for desserts and other sweets, so I generally don't indulge much in those exceptionally fattening treats. Ruth C will be horrified by this, but I am allergic to chocolate (migranes). I will actually go to the chocolate extravaganza only to take pictures and have a cup of tea. :)

I'm going on a 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise next year. Several people have asked me ... "aren't you afraid of gaining a lot of weight?" Not at all. I plan to pace myself very carefully on that cruise to make sure I don't put on much weight. Though I am sure on a cruise of that length there will be some weight gain (because of all the sea days), that gain can certainly be minimized with little effort.

Don't get me wrong here ... I don't actually deny myself anything I want on a cruise ... and I certainly don't go hungry. It's just that I don't over-indulge in things that I have no desire for to begin with. Why eat when you're not hungry? Do something else fun instead. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived