Pre-emptive weight loss

Orcrone

Do you lost weight before a cruise?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lost weight before a cruise?

• Yes, I try to lose weight before I go on a cruise.
    • I don't put on much weight - not going to worry about it.
    • I lose it when I get back home.
    • Watch what I eat to avoid putting on weight.
    • Go to the gym to avoid putting on weight.

My mother is determined to lower her total from 290 without medication. She is 5'7" and weighs about 140 lbs.--not really obese, but she has the typical middle-aged figure--a lot of fat in the stomach area.

It doesn't sound like she needs to lose weight. She may wish to change what she eats though.

Sounds like she may be eating too much saturated fat and bad carbs.

If she ate more fish and skinless chicken along with good carbs (veggies, fruits, olive oil, whole grains, beans etc) for a month, I think she'd find some of the abdominal fat melting off and she'd see her waist again. Sounds like she is eating too many (natural or not) sugars. Two weeks of South Beach Level One would perhaps address that. That plan was written by a cardiologist and in our area, all the doctors who wish to drop some weight use that plan. If that is the plan the doctors use, that's the one for me!! :)

Me too S7S!!! My cardiologist recommended the South Beach diet and I just love it! It is easy to live by and I am not hungry. When I cruise of course I indulge a little, but had no prob going back to it after!:cool:

I do maintenance level on it and think it wonderful. It's sensible and satisfying. It's easy to follow once you understand the diet. No calorie counting, points, and not that many foods that are no-no's......at least not that many that I used to eat but no longer do.

I think it the best of all the diets I have read in recent years....not gimmicky. Logical and safe.

Good to hear all the success stories. I started the Atkins program last summer about 8 weeks before leaving on the Oosterdam. Tried to follow a reasonable maintenance program while on board. With all the walking and touring came home 2 pounds lighter than when I left. Wound up losing over 30 pounds and it's still off a year later. The true test will come next year - 24 days on the Rotterdam!

Jerry

Jerry-

I suspect you will do what I do, by about day 11 I am tired of eatting and tend to go back to salads for lunch and oatmeal for breakfast. My DH and I agree after that time, the food isn't so exciting, and we tend to eat moderately:)

I've been in the process of loosing weight at a nice steady pace this year ... 10 pounds, rest and hold it and get my body used to it, then lose 10 more and then rest and hold it and get my body used to it, then to pounds more ... and so on, and so on. It works. At least, it does for me. :) Over the next 50 days, though, I'm putting a major push on to try and take off a solid 20 pounds. I can do it ... I've done it before. :)

On the cruise I will walk every day -- I'll do the stairs (up and down) a floor or two, and I'll walk a mile every morning on the promenade. It's wonderful. And, on my cruise to Alaska I actually managed to maintain my weight without gaining anything.

I've been in the process of loosing weight at a nice steady pace this year ... 10 pounds, rest and hold it and get my body used to it, then lose 10 more and then rest and hold it and get my body used to it, then to pounds more ... and so on, and so on. It works. At least, it does for me. :) Over the next 50 days, though, I'm putting a major push on to try and take off a solid 20 pounds. I can do it ... I've done it before. :)

Greg, that is really great on how you are working at it slowly. It gives the skin a chance to shrink up to the new size.;) The last 60 days for me I have slowed down a lot but kept up the exercise routine. Good Luck in getting to your goal.

My best success is eating smaller portions on a small plate. Also I like veggies and fruits a lot, and have always manicured my meat. Another way for me to lose faster is to eliminate my glass of wine with dinner. Since I do enjoy that, I limit myself to a 4 oz glass of wine on Sunday, and sometimes on another day during the week. I also watch foods that are high on the glycemic index, and try to not eat them, or just sparingly. Since around the first of May, I have lost 13 lbs with this method. And, I do not exercise. Can't find the time during my busy days. If I exercised, the weight would most certainly come off faster. I find that by eating smaller portions, I get filled up quite rapidly now when eating out in a restaurant. Yes, I ask for a box, and have the food the next day. Eating out even becomes economical. Don't know how long this system will last for me, but I have been quite happy with this and get to eat pretty much what I like to eat. Even get a cookie or two with my coffee. You might consider this if you don't want to diet in a strict manner.

I'm going to do it this time. I am going to lose 20 pounds before our October 20 Rotterdam cruise.

This is the same twenty pounds I was going to lose before the 12 day Oceania Insignia on June 14. I have the South Beach Diet book and have actually read it. That's a good start, right?

Lisa.....

You are so smart. Keep exercising. Even if you slide a bit on the food end of discipline, the exercise keeps any gains under control. Also...when you lose weight and don't exercise, the body loses any toning. Even if the pounds stay the same, the muscle rather than fat makes you "look" much better and you certainly are healthier with muscle vs. fat.

Carol.....

Go fot it. South Beach really is a sensible way to eat. The first two weeks are a bit rigid but after that you will find it is quite easy to stick with. After a short time on that way of eating, you will find you lose desire for a lot of the junk we stuff into ourselves. Good Luck if you decide to give it a try.

I usually diet 2 to 3 months prior to sail date, currently dropped 15 pounds (goal is 20 pounds by 8/28). In case of an emergency, I always pack one pair of slacks larger than the norm for that long flight back home. However, it is a well known fact that salt air shrinks your clothing.............. I can always diet again when I get home!

spcl4cs gal-I'm glad you're watching your sugars.-but you have to watch your carbs also, they turn into sugar.

Take care,

Pat.

Yes and carbs seem to be my biggest weakness. I would pass up a bowl of ice cream anytime for a nice slice of homemade bread. :(

Make it homemade whole grain bread and you'll be okay. :)

And if you are baking some, PLEASE invite me over when it is warm from the oven. That would be sooo irresistibly delicious. :)

I eat pretty much whatever I want, I have just cut my portions in half . I only eat the real "bad" stuff (oreos, ice cream and the like) on rare occasions.

That along with going to the gym three or four days a week, which includes an hour on the treadmill eachtime has helped me keep the 85 lbs off I lost a few years ago off.

It was very tough starting, and it never gets EASY, but after a while it does become almost routine and now I would hate to backslide and make all the work and effort I have put into this go to waste.

I let my weight creep up to 275 over the years after I had my daughter (she is 11), and even at 5'8" 275 is still very overweight. Doc said I was a Krispy Kreme away from type 2 diabetes. I am down to 180 now and have a goal of 135. I lost the weight over the last 2-3 years by cutting out sweets, soda, fast food, junk food, and walking 2 or 3 times a week. It is slow going-but I try to lose a pound every week or two. I do cheat once in a while, but I just try to eat sensibly most of the time. I did gain 3 or 4 pounds on our last cruise, but lost it within a month. I applaud anyone who has lost weight and improved thier health, because I know how terribly difficult it can be.

I hope we all reach our goals!!

Melody

Melody.......Congratulations. You are doing so very well. I am sure you feel much better carrying less weight around. Your doctor must be so pleased you heeded his warning. Keep up the good work. You seem to have a very sensible attitude and approach. You're an inspiration.

Vicar......Bravo!!!! Seriously. To lose a large amount of weight is so difficult. To Keep it off long term is harder.

You certainly have learned the method and are disciplined and doing what you "need to do". I'm proud for you! Proud of you!! The percentage of people who lose weight and then gain it all (and more) back is so depressingly high.

You are a model of how to avoid doing that!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

• 7 months later...

I did South Beach for a 6 weeks, before this upcoming cruise, it really helped get rid of that belly fat:D.MY DH is diabetic so it works well for him also, We also go to the Gym 3 x/week. Actually he goes to the GYM and I go to Curves, so we try to keep it under control:rolleyes: .Hopefully we will not gain too much on this cruise:)

I am down 8 pounds in anticipation of the cruise! Soutn BEach diet and NO drinking for a month! I know it will all come back once I step on board. A bit of added motivation for me is that we are traveling with another couple, and I refer to her as my "skinny friend"! Knowing I will be sitting next to her in my bikini helps me to stay focused!

Archived