Playa Del Carmen

TXSailor

We are sailing on Celebration Aug23-25 and we have never been to Playa Del Carmen. Is there a nice beachside resort that permits cruise ship passengers to use their facilities for some $$? While we were in Cayman, we went to the Marriott Courtyard, located on the northern end of 7-mile beach. It was a nice beach with watersports, restaurant/bar. Marriott Courtyard is not listed as an excursion, so if it weren't for these boards, we would have never known about it.

Fausto

[b][color=darkslategray]I haven't heard of any resorts, but you might try asking this at the PdC forum on the Ports-of-Call board. There aren't a lot of postings there, but somebody just [i]might[/i] be able to answer your question.:) [/color][/b]

We were on a ship that docked there instead of its usual port a few years ago. Playa turned out to be one of my absolute favorite ports ever. Absolutely beautiful little town, with very cheap prices. They have a bit of an inferiority complex because Cancun & Cozumel are so much better known. There are no real big resort hotels there--just lots of little charming hotels. There is a public beach area that's literally steps away from the dock. We spent the day there, sitting under some palm trees--it looked just like the Corona commercials. You can set up there & spend the day. As friendly as the people in the hotels were, you could probably also make arrangements with any of them to let you use their facilities for the day.

Be sure to wander around the town. You may want to wait until evening, because it gets pretty hot there during the day. There are dozens of vendors with beautiful authentic crafts. Also, lots of little restaurants--again very cheap. There's also (at least there was, I hope it's stayed in existence) a mall shaped like a Mayan ruin from the outside. You take the escalator to the top & then wander your way down. Again, lots of boutiques & eating places.

You'll love it. I'd do Playa del Carmen again in a heartbeat.

We anchored there 7/23/04. If you go to the "North beach" area there are lots of beach [font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]restaurants with tables and shade, shopping is just a block off the beach with lots to do. Enjoy! :D [/size][/font]

[quote name='Kittymama']There is a public beach area that's literally steps away from the dock.

[b][color=darkslategray]Kittty, I'm curious...You must have tendered into Playa del Carmen? Twice, we've docked at Calica and had to grab a taxi to PdC, so I don't even know where the 'dock' is. I did see the public beach while in PdC, but didn't notice any dock.:confused: [/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/b]
. There's also (at least there was, I hope it's stayed in existence) a mall shaped like a Mayan ruin from the outside. You take the escalator to the top & then wander your way down. Again, lots of boutiques & eating places.QUOTE]

[b][color=darkslategray]Now THAT sounds interesting. I didn't see anything like that on my last trip to PdC. I must've missed everything good - because it was by far the least favorite port I've ever been to. (It's on my itinerary for next cruise, so I'd love to find out where this is.) [/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]Let's use the little park area by the beach as a starting point. Where do I go from there to find that 'mall'? THX.[/color][/b]

[b][color=darkslategray][/color][/b]

Hey, we just got back from the celebration on sat the 31st! I miss it already!! We didn't book an excursion for that day, so when we docked in Calica we took a taxi for 10.00 for all 4 of us to Playa del carmen. It dropped us off in town, you walk throught all the cute shops there. Very tourirsty, i loved it, looked like a quaint little village, waterfountains, monkeys, etc..keep going on 5th ave till ya see that blue water. walk down to Senor Frogs,it is on the right, and the public beach is all there! We just went to the beach area on the left and found a restaraunt to rent a table, 4 chairs and umbrella for 10.00. they brought our drinks to us on the beach. I will tell you, it it gorgeous! Way prettier than Coz we thought! There were a few topless girls i will warn you about! Our guys didn't mind of course but In case you have kids with you I thought I would let you know what ya might see. We walked down the beach aways and rented a Hobie Cat for 35.00 for 1 hour! Beautiful sailing there, we saw a huge sea turtle! It was just so pretty there!
In Coz, we took a taxi to Paradise beach after our catamaran tour(which is our favorite part of our trip!) I read about it here, and was wonderful. everything everybody said it would be!you can read alot about it under the Cozunel posts. Free beach, chairs, umbrellas, iceberg climbing, floating trampoline. Perfect day except it rained on us!You will have a blast on the cruise, it was our first cruise and we loved it! Can't wait to do it again. I am trying to find time to post a review, so keep looking under the reviews for mine for more details later if ya want, and Happy Cruisin' Ya'll!!

RandyKaye, Thanks for the heads up. We are leaving for Galveston next Saturday, August 14th and will stop in Cozumel and Calico/Playa Del Carmen and return on the 19th. Thanks for the price of the taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen and the shops.......

Carnival Fantasy 05/97
Future Carnival Celebration 08/97

[quote name='Cotton'][quote name='Kittymama']There is a public beach area that's literally steps away from the dock.

[b][color=darkslategray]Kittty, I'm curious...You must have tendered into Playa del Carmen? Twice, we've docked at Calica and had to grab a taxi to PdC, so I don't even know where the 'dock' is. I did see the public beach while in PdC, but didn't notice any dock.:confused: [/color][/b]

. There's also (at least there was, I hope it's stayed in existence) a mall shaped like a Mayan ruin from the outside. You take the escalator to the top & then wander your way down. Again, lots of boutiques & eating places.QUOTE]

[b][color=darkslategray]Now THAT sounds interesting. I didn't see anything like that on my last trip to PdC. I must've missed everything good - because it was by far the least favorite port I've ever been to. (It's on my itinerary for next cruise, so I'd love to find out where this is.) [/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]Let's use the little park area by the beach as a starting point. Where do I go from there to find that 'mall'? THX.[/color][/b]

[/QUOTE]The Calica dock is just south (100 yards) or so of Xcaret and Xcaret is south of PdC. We tendered in PdC on 7/23 after the problems in Belize. Had a real nice time on what they call the North beach area, north of the ferry dock.

BTW, you can bargain with the bars on the beach and get the table and chairs free, beer was $2.50.

:D

[quote name='TXSailor']We are sailing on Celebration Aug23-25 and we have never been to Playa Del Carmen. Is there a nice beachside resort that permits cruise ship passengers to use their facilities for some $$? While we were in Cayman, we went to the Marriott Courtyard, located on the northern end of 7-mile beach. It was a nice beach with watersports, restaurant/bar. Marriott Courtyard is not listed as an excursion, so if it weren't for these boards, we would have never known about it.

Fausto[/QUOTE]Last year we took a ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. I absolutely love Playa del Carmen. We went to a resort called Barcelo Maya Beach Resort [url="http://www.mayabeachresort@barcelo.com/"]www.mayabeachresort@barcelo.com[/url] and paid $50pp for use of their facilities. It included all meals, all drinks (Heinkein, Corona, alcoholic and non, etc.) use of beach chairs, pool, spa, gym, showers and towel. It was well worth it. :D

Within walking distance of the resort (to your left, once on the beach), there is a little pier where they take scuba divers out. The water is crystal clear. I keep jumping in off the pier. There were sea turtles and schools of fish. It's ideal for snorkeling as well.
I can't remember the name of the person I spoke to there but here is their phone number: +52 98751500

Smooth sailin' all!

[quote name='Joe1014']The Calica dock is just south (100 yards) or so of Xcaret and Xcaret is south of PdC. We tendered in PdC on 7/23 after the problems in Belize. Had a real nice time on what they call the North beach area, north of the ferry dock.:D[/QUOTE]
[b][color=darkslategray]Joe, I know where the [i]Calica[/i] dock is - that's where we docked. What I was asking is - when ships tender passengers in - where do they tender to? I thought the other poster said they tendered to a dock in PdC.....?[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]Also - just curious - If Xcaret is [i]only[/i] 100 yards away, why do folks who book excursions to Xcaret ride a bus to get there?:confused: [/color][/b]

[quote name='TXSailor']We are sailing on Celebration Aug23-25 and we have never been to Playa Del Carmen. Is there a nice beachside resort that permits cruise ship passengers to use their facilities for some $$? While we were in Cayman, we went to the Marriott Courtyard, located on the northern end of 7-mile beach. It was a nice beach with watersports, restaurant/bar. Marriott Courtyard is not listed as an excursion, so if it weren't for these boards, we would have never known about it.

Fausto[/QUOTE][b]Hey Fausto...former San Antonian here...we were in PDC a couple of weeks ago...there are two options for what you want to do...just to the left of the dock as you are facing PDC is Continental Plaza Playacar...we paid them $20 for two of us to use their facilities...nice swim up bar, towels, shower, and beach...OR...down the beach a good ways the opposite direction you can use the facilities at Gran Portal Hotel...they want $70 for two but your food and drinks are included...they have a nice palapa bar and a buffet set up on the beach...hopes this helps...Jake in Austin[/b]

Hi Everyone:

WOW, what a response. Thanks everyone, for sharing your experiences and giving me some pointers. We are really excited about this cruise. Oh, we leave Aug 23 and return on Aug.28, not 25th. We just got back from cruising on the Rhapsody of the Seas about 2 weeks ago. Wanna see the pics?

[url]http://members4.clubphoto.com/fausto887313/owner-4241-1.phtml[/url]

What are the chances that Carnival is going to match the Rhapsody in regard to service and activities? This will be our first time/cruise away from Rhapsody and we are scared....hehehe :) It feels like our first cruise all over again, not knowing what to expect.

Fausto

[b][size=3]Have cruised Carnival and RCI numerous times...done the Rhapsody twice...maybe I am easier to please that alot of folks but I thought both Carnival and RCI were absolutely great!...I will tell you that IMO Celebration is not as nice a ship as Rhapsody...Celebration is an older and smaller ship...but the service and activities will be equal to the Rhapsody...other Carnival ships such as Elation or Inspiration are Rhapsody's equal or better...not trying to bum you out, just trying to be honest...and remember this is just my opinion, I could be wrong!;) [/size][/b]

Fausto[/QUOTE]
If you wind up a Calica instead of tendering to PdC, Puerto Aventuras is about the same distance south as PdC is north. Executive rents cars at the pier. The manager at the Omni Hotel in Puerto has told us directly (via email) that day-trippers can use their beach facilities at no cost -- though I'm sure they'll appreciate bar/food patronage.
See:

[url]http://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/default.asp?topic=bridge&h_id=47[/url]

Cotton:

When we were on the Holiday a couple of years ago we tendered at Playa del Carmen. They used the same pier as the ferry used that comes from Cozumel. It is next to Senor Frogs if I remember correctly.

MexicoBob

• 4 weeks later...
I contacted the Omni, and indeed they said we could use their facilities. Thanks for the tip. Did you rent a car (sounds like it), or take a taxi. Curious as to the fare for the taxi trip there? Their website shows to have nearby shopping, which I'm wondering it it's within walking distance?

[quote name='Kimberly']I contacted the Omni, and indeed they said we could use their facilities. Thanks for the tip. Did you rent a car (sounds like it), or take a taxi. Curious as to the fare for the taxi trip there? Their website shows to have nearby shopping, which I'm wondering it it's within walking distance?[/QUOTE]

There's plenty to do in PA, including Dolphin Discovery, if you're so inclined:

[url]http://www.puertoaventuras.com/[/url]

We rent a car, because Tulum and other areas are within easy drive for alternatives if we don't want to stay in one place all day -- $50-60 including full insurance. But taxis each way are easily accessible.

Archived