Cruise virgin! Need input

My DH of 20 years and I have gone to Jamaica almost every year. This year, for some reason, we thought we might look into a cruise. Not sure why, except that air travel has become SUCH a hassle, and since we enjoy relaxing and looking at the water, we thought we might try a cruise for a change.

I'm considering the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC or something out of Bayonne, NYC or Bayonne are the most convenient ports for us. Price is an issue, looking to spend around $1200pp or less.

What we like about Jamaica (other than the reggae, the tree frogs at night, the food, the beaches) is that it is CASUAL, CASUAL, CASUAL. We do NOT want to get dressed up. Skirt/top for me and collared shirt/chinos (and Adidas??) are about it for us. So you can see why NCL seemed attractive.

So please tell me what I need to know about cruising. What's included, what's extra? Can you go on deck at night to stargaze? What restaurants are casual, which have surcharges, and how much are the surcharges. Is there a coffeemaker in the room? Minibar? Is it expensive? How much are drinks? If we drink mostly pineapple juice and sodas, will we still break the bank? Can we bring our own bottle of rum aboard? If we are early-to-bed, early-to-risers is it quiet enough to sleep?

Thanks to all you cruisers!

My DH of 20 years and I have gone to Jamaica almost every year. This year, for some reason, we thought we might look into a cruise. Not sure why, except that air travel has become SUCH a hassle, and since we enjoy relaxing and looking at the water, we thought we might try a cruise for a change

We have been on three cruises so far - and heading for our fourth in 92 days (or thereabouts). As far as I am concerned, it is THE way to travel.

We do NOT want to get dressed up. Skirt/top for me and collared shirt/chinos (and Adidas??) are about it for us. So you can see why NCL seemed attractive.

That is the great thing about NCL (that was our last cruise in May 2005.) You can be resort casual, or get all gussied up if you want. Be sure to check out their website - there is info on what is allowed and what is not allowed.

So please tell me what I need to know about cruising. What's included, what's extra? Can you go on deck at night to stargaze? What restaurants are casual, which have surcharges, and how much are the surcharges. Is there a coffeemaker in the room? Minibar? Is it expensive? How much are drinks? If we drink mostly pineapple juice and sodas, will we still break the bank? Can we bring our own bottle of rum aboard? If we are early-to-bed, early-to-risers is it quiet enough to sleep?

Almost everything is included - cabin, food, entertainment. Alcohol is extra (the prices seemed comparable to prices in our town), as is soda if not served with a meal (I do believe that soda with meals is included). You can buy a pass of some sort to get soft drinks all the time. Coffee was always available. I do not know if suites had minibars or coffeemakers, but I do know the cabin we had did not. You cannot bring your own alcohol aboard - it will be confiscated, and returned to you at the end of the cruise.

All I can say is this - we love cruising! The food was very good (although I have to say that our Royal Caribbean Cruise was out of this world food wise), the entertainment was fun, and the staff was great. As far as we are concerned, cruising is the only way to go, and you get the most bang for your buck.

I hope this helped and I hope you decide to give it a try.

You will find all you need to know on these boards, and once you book your first cruise, you will know nothing else BUT these boards.:p There is a hidden danger in booking a cruise, you aren't prepared for how addicting it becomes to both planning, cruising, and living to plan for your next one!

The Dawn is a beautiful ship and your attire you describe is the perfect NCL freestyle attire. Answers to your specific questions can be found all over the boards, I don't know some off the top of my head, and I didn't quote you so now I can't remember them all (sorry). But as for the rum, another poster stated they will confiscate and give back to you later, this happens sometimes and sometimes doesn't. There are many, many postings on the subject and many, many opinions.

There are a few surcharge restaurants on the Dawn ranging in price from $15.00 to $20.00 and up (depending on what you choose sometimes such as in steak and lobster). But the Dawn also offers so many other options than the main dining rooms that don't require a surcharge but do require reservations as they are smaller venues.

Again, you'll find so much more by looking around here. Welcome to the boards.:)

I seem to recall reading that the adults-only lap pool has a surcharge. Anyone know how much it is? I don't relish dealing with a pool full of shrieking children...

You may be talking about the one in the spa? I think they do now charge a small fee but I don't know what that is. As for the children, this would also depend on when you plan to cruise. Holiday? Summer vacation? There are many times of the year where there won't be many kids on the cruise.

The spa charge is $15 a day - free if you book a treatment (massage, facial, etc.) I agree with you that it's a small price to pay to be in the kid-free zone. I go to Mandalay Bay in Vegas all the time, and the spa facility charge is $30 a day there, and the room without food costs more than my cruise fare per day. It's a good deal.

Thanks for this info. OK, folks, here's another thing....my DH and I are kind of like old hippies. Not to the point of ridiculousness, but we are kind of left-of-center iconoclasts who march to our own drummer. Do you think we'll be hideously out of place?

Thanks for this info. OK, folks, here's another thing....my DH and I are kind of like old hippies. Not to the point of ridiculousness, but we are kind of left-of-center iconoclasts who march to our own drummer. Do you think we'll be hideously out of place?

Absolutely not! NCL is a "march to your own drummer" kind of cruiseline. You will find all types.

This is one of those perspective deals. Left of center is not an issue at all. If you're talking about him having longer hair, and you having some crystals & beads on... no worries. If you're talking about inscence, candles, and wearing tie-dye & Birkenstocks to the dining room - then you're in trouble. First, inscence or candles will get you promptly thrown off at the first port - no flames of any sort allowed on a ship. On NCL, some Khakis and a polo shirt and you'll be fine. (feel free to stick it to the 'man' and don't pay retail!). Formal night is optional - simply opt out. On every voyage, there is some yokel trying to wear torn shorts and a tank top to dinner. It's just not allowed. I'm somewhat of an antiestablishmentarianist myself, but bad manners and bad clothes are something different.

Best tip is to read these boards. I'm an old hippie and love to cruise I think it's the best vacation for the dollar. I like seeing different places on one vacation.

The main differences betweeen a cruise and the land vacations you have taking are.

1) The port time is limited arrive early morning and need to be back on the ship anywhere from 4-8 hours later. Tip, read the itinerary carefully so you know what to expect.

2) Unless you do an overnight you see no nightlife at the ports. Only on the ship.

If you go knowing these thigs inadvance (read these boards) you will be fine.

I guess I would need more details to fully evaluate the question. LOL

How left-of-center?:p

And do you feel 'hideously out of place' anywhere else? Do you literally carry your drum and walk while chanting or singing Kum-ba-ya (spelling?) everywhere? Make it a ritual to take off your bra and burn it in a public place?

Not to judge, I'm never one to judge anyone's lifestyle that's right for them, but if that's the case you might get a few stares.:D

Going on the assumption that isn't the case, cruises are not 'group' vacations and you and DH are free to do whatever you choose. Within the realm of legalities of course. As in anywhere else you will find a variety of people from all nationalities, backgrounds etc. If we were all the same, how boring would life be?:p

pdonegan: LOL on the hippie description! No, we're actually plainclothes hippies. ;) But DH is an old Deadhead (though you'd never know it to look at him, and we are not exactly accepting going into middle age without a fight. :eek: Never burned a bra, don't wear birkenstocks. We know how to be civilized. But we are pretty blue-state..

Beach Bum Mama: It depends what the definition of "center" is. ;)

judyf: Lack of on-shore nightlife is no problem. We are early-to-bed, early-to-risers. One of the most appealing things about the idea of a cruise, aside from not having to deal with airport hassles, is sitting on our balcony looking at the water and drinking coffee, which is much of what we do when we go to Jamaica! (Speaking of which, those of you who hate the craft market in Ocho Rios, I feel your pain. Jamaica is a place that CANNOT be visited by cruise ship, you have to stay there.) But to me the idea of going up on deck to watch the sunrise or at night to stargaze is what sounds appealing.

pdonegan: LOL on the hippie description! No, we're actually plainclothes hippies. ;) But DH is an old Deadhead (though you'd never know it to look at him, and we are not exactly accepting going into middle age without a fight. :eek: Never burned a bra, don't wear birkenstocks. We know how to be civilized. But we are pretty blue-state..

I know, change your plans and come on MY cruise! You sound like my kind of hippies--uh people! :D

OK, here's another one. I've found TONS of sites with photos that are really helpful. One of them showed the little newsletter the ship produces daily.

Ny DH is a smoker (just Marlboros, folks, now cut it out! :p ) and I am not. At home we burn incense which freshens the air and gets the stale smoke smell out of the house. It looks like incense is forbidden on ship, is this true? It's hardly an "open flame", but that seems to be how they categorize it. And can he smoke on the cabin balcony?

OK, here's another one. I've found TONS of sites with photos that are really helpful. One of them showed the little newsletter the ship produces daily.

Ny DH is a smoker (just Marlboros, folks, now cut it out! :p ) and I am not. At home we burn incense which freshens the air and gets the stale smoke smell out of the house. It looks like incense is forbidden on ship, is this true? It's hardly an "open flame", but that seems to be how they categorize it. And can he smoke on the cabin balcony?

I believe incense is forbidden, at least that is what has been posted in the past here. I think they fall under the same ban as candles or other open flames (even though it isn't really an "open" flame).

He can smoke in the cabin if he likes as well as on the balcony.

As the above poster said, I don't think incense is allowed. And there is no distinction for smoking and non-smoking cabins, so yes, he can smoke in a cabin. As for outside on the open decks, most times ships have a designated smoking and non-smoking side. Not sure which is which.:rolleyes:

Of course no smoking in the dining rooms and show lounges, but there are many smoking bars etc.

And I'm glad you explained what he smoked. I would have wondered ;) . With you guys carrying your drum around and singing and burning bras and all. I don't know what you two will be up to!:D

MiddleAgedBroad - You will enjoy a cruise, but there are alot of extra costs involved. First, traveling to and from a port which may include travel to the airport, airfare, hotel, taxi's, food, etc. It cost me over $1,000 just to get to the port and back in Fort Lauderdale from Massachusetts and I found great prices. If you purchase any photos on the ship, they are approximately $20 each. Drinks are priced fairly - $17 for a bucket of beer (4), and about $5-$6 for drinks. All excursions are extra. And don't forget about the end of the cruise tips, which run about $10 per day per person. (Though all of the crew very much deserves these tips and more.)

Just keep in mind if you use to an all inclusive resort that doesn't allow tipping, I think you will find a cruise a little bit more expensive. Funny thing, you are thinking about cruising after going to Jamaica and we are thinking about going to Jamaica after crusing. I worry about all the bad stories I hear about Jamaica though, but I would like to try it anyway as I think these are mostly shoppers off the cruise ships.

Have you stayed in Negril?

Britt23

pdonegan: But to me the idea of going up on deck to watch the sunrise or at night to stargaze is what sounds appealing.

Then a cruise is perfect... If you can swing it book a balcony room. We do because we love the balcony in early morning or late night. Coffee on the balcony in the morning is priceless... the air is different (really good), there is only the noise of the water below and depending on what side of the ship, you might have the warm sun on your face. Then in the evening, we love a drink on the balcony before dinner. When we return a fee hours later with full tummies, star gazing is the first thing we do. Remember, if you are too full at dinner for your dessert, ask for it to go and bring it back to your room. Oh, and I think the early morning hours are the best for exploring the ship, getting a morning walk in or a cup of coffee outside.

One more thing, sleeping with the balcony door open with fresh air and the sound of the ocean.... priceless.

LOL! Not at all. My DH and I are much the same, and we fit in quite well. As a matter of fact there were quite a few people sporting dashiki's just like my DH. ;)

As for smoking, definitely a balcony room is the way to go. And given the cost you're looking at you should have no problem finding one. (Check the online discounters, especially.)

Teri

Archived