private daysails...any reviews?

deora24

We were on Highpockets the first week in December. It was a great day! Kathleen is very friendly, interesting to talk to, and wants to make your day memorable. The snorkeling was awesome, the best we have ever done. Good food, good drinks, and the rum cake is excellent. You won't be disappointed if you book Highpockets.

We were on the Winifred a few years back and had a good day, but this one was much better.

G

We were on Highpockets the first week in December. It was a great day! Kathleen is very friendly, interesting to talk to, and wants to make your day memorable. The snorkeling was awesome, the best we have ever done. Good food, good drinks, and the rum cake is excellent. You won't be disappointed if you book Highpockets.

We were on the Winifred a few years back and had a good day, but this one was much better.

G

Hey, thanks! That's great to hear. Did you get near a beach at all?

We sailed with Captain Kathleen on High Pockets in January 2006, and are already booked to sail with her again in January 2008. We had a great day - the sailboat is both relaxing and exhilerating, the scenery is beautiful, the company very enjoyable. We had 2 snorkeling stops, both excellent snorkeling (saw both turtles and rays, by the way), and one was near a beach. Lunch was terrific - Kathleen's a great cook! Altogether a very nice day, good enough to want to make us repeat instead of trying another boat.

Jodi

My family sailed with Kathleen on the Highpockets and had a wonderful. My boys loved it and both got a chance to "drive" the boat. They loved it. Kathleen was great.

The rum cake was great and I got the recipe from Kathleen. I have made it several times since then.

You will have a wonderful day on the Highpockets.

I am interested in what sailhighpockets can do for us.

I am not really interested in the snorkling part, but am very very interested in some of the beaches.

Did one sail thru the cruise lines, even thou it was real nice, we were only on the beach about 20 minutes. The rest of the time was sailing back and forth to red hook. I want a longer trip.

Any suggestions?

Linda

I am interested in what sailhighpockets can do for us.

I am not really interested in the snorkling part, but am very very interested in some of the beaches.

Did one sail thru the cruise lines, even thou it was real nice, we were only on the beach about 20 minutes. The rest of the time was sailing back and forth to red hook. I want a longer trip.

Any suggestions?

Linda

Kathleen will tailor you trip to whatever you want it to be. Where ever you to go (with in reason). We snorkled cuz we like doing that. We did explore the beach at Christmas Cove and I found a hugh Conch Shell. That was cool. I love beachcombing. I am inclduding her email address. She will get back with you right away.

high-pockets@attglobal.net

Thanks Debbie, I'm going to email her now. :)

Just to let you know I am a balcony snob also.:p

Some day I'll tell you my story of being a snob...........LOL:D

Linda

I'm dying to hear. The reason I have it on my signature is because there was a thread on the Carnival Boards about having balconis. Someone was made at those who can afford balconies ( a troll post if you ask me). The thread has been removed now. Another member made up that little sign so I borrowed it. It's going to get me in trouble later cuz people won't understand. People will just think I'm stuck up.

We are booked on the Destiny for Oct 2008. My youngest Son know we're going back to St. Thomas again and wanted to go on the Highpockets again. I'm thinking of doing an Island Tour this time. We'll see. Have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

We went with http://www.stjohnyachtcharters.com/

The captain is Jason and the first mate is Michelle. We did the full day, and it was great. We went to a snorkel spot and then a beautiful beach.

They picked us up in St. Thomas and then took us over to St. John.

We took my parents, who have a sail boat, and they had a great time. My dad got to steer the boat, so he was happy. Even if you don't sail, it would still be just as fun if not more. We are big eaters, and I was expecting crappy sandwiches. However, we got an excellent and huge catered meal. The four of us (including big eater boyfriend) were stuffed.

I would definitely recommend them.

Most daysail operators have 6 pack licenses, which means they can take up to 6 people. Ordinarily, if 2 book, you pay their normal price, and they accept up to 4 more clients. If they don't fill, and you haven't specified you want just the 2 of you, you'd still pay the same fare. If, however, you indicate you want to charter for just the 2 of you, I'd expect to pay a charter fare. You'd have to check with your particular daysail operator for that fee.

Jodi

thanks Jodi

Yep, we checked with Highpockets and were able to charter the boat for just the two of us for the day!:D I have a feeling this is going to be the high light of our cruise, I am truly looking forward to it. She said they will tailor it to our wants .... we are set!!!

It's still a touch over a month away but I will let all of you know how wonderful it was!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Let me know how fabulous High Pockets is!!! I have emailed her to she if she has space for our upcoming Explorer cruise in December.

You will LOVE RCCL, by the way! We cruise Carnival twice, but haven't been back since we started cruising on RCCL! :) Sovereign of the Seas was our first RCCL ship. If I may make a recommendation, try the Brilliance of the Seas...she's our favorite.

Your B2B Hawaii/Alaska sounds like heaven, lucky, lucky girl!

Safe Travels,

Sam :D

PS- May I ask what she charges to charter? There are three of us...I was just wondering if she just charges the rate for 6 or if it's a different rate?

Sam, the charter price is 650 if CC and 600 if cash... we plan to pay cash plus tip. I felt that was a good price for just the two of us! It will be a wonderful experience I am sure:)

We too are doing a nine day in December, does yours include Christmas and New Years?

Cheryl

Thanks for the information Cheryl! :)

I've scheduled us with High Pockets for our day in St. Thomas!! I can't wait!

We're on Explorer from the 14th to the 23rd. We love cruising in December!

Let me know how you liked High Pockets!

Sam :D

We did a daysail with Kathleen of High Pockets 2/06, certainly the highlight of our cruise, I'm sure you will love every minute of the trip. We booked with 4 (two couples) and had a couple we met on this board asked to join us, we had a great time. Some snorkeled, some just played in the water, or swam to shore and explored the beach, then had a wonderful lunch.;)

I have a question for those of you that have done the private sails.Since it is the owner doing the trip how do you tip and how much?I know one other trips they say to tip the the first mate, wasn't sure what is proper thing to do since these are the owners.

justsea.... Here is an excerpt of our e mail from highpockets. "Cash gratuity for mate at your discretion". So I would guess it is still the mate you tip as both of them will be on board. The only difference on ours, is there will only be two passengers instead of 4 or 6 (limit). Also from what I gathered, Kathleen (owner) always sails with the boat:)

Cheryl

Archived