Panama Canal

Wilbo

We are making the full transit in April. I have a question for those of you that have done this trip.

Is it worth getting up early in the morning to watch the entry into the canal? My other question is; which is the best side of the ship to be on to see the most interestin points?

Thanks for your help.

I've done a full transit twice, once each direction. I'd say if you're going from the west coast, yes, definitely want to be up and see the sunrise over Panama City and the bridge. It's probably not as important to be up early for the move into Gatun Lake. It's interesting to see all the other vessels there waiting their turn.

Both times I've done the transit, I found myself all over the ship throughout the day for the views. I personally don't think there's one side better than the other.

These are just my opinions. I'd do the transit again in a heartbeat!! For me it was interesting to see the changes from 1999 to 2005 as well.

We are making the full transit in April. I have a question for those of you that have done this trip.

Is it worth getting up early in the morning to watch the entry into the canal? My other question is; which is the best side of the ship to be on to see the most interestin points?

Thanks for your help.

You do not say it but since you are doing this in April I am going to assume your are transiting Atlantic to Pacific....Do get up at sunrise as this is the only place that the Sun rises in the Pacific and sets in the Atlantic.!!!....Entering and going through the locks the majority of sights will be on the Port side. This holds true for the entire transit actually....I have made 8 transits on cruise ships and also brought my own boat through the canal in 1985....I am glad to see Panama beginning to get back on the Port list for cruise ships as it is a Country with a lot of friendship for we Americans.....Rob...

We have done several full transits -- they are great.

It is worth getting up in the morning and watching everything. Both sides are great as you will want to move around and watch the mules working.

HAL usually serves coffee and Panama rolls out on the decks -- look for them.

Archived