Naples: Archaeological museum or Herculaneum?

The museum is very interesting. It houses many artifacts from the excavations including moasics, paintings, tools and dishes. Most fascinated I was by the silverware and tablesilver found buried in Pompeii. I have never seen anything like that anywhere else.

In addition to this Roman section the museum exhibits art from different times.

Herculaneum of course is an excavation side, smaller than Pompejii but with more artifacts still in place.

Thus if you have never been to Pompejii I would recommend Herculaneum otherwise the museum. ( the same if you are looking for a combination of Pompejii and one of the sights.)

Yes you can walk to the museum and to the port. From the museum to the port it takes maybe 30 or 40 minutes.

If you go to the museum, be sure you have Euros to pay the admission charge. They don't accept credit cards or travelers checks. I recommend purchasing the audiotour, which was well done. The courtyard cafe was very disappointing. And -for some reason- the museum gift shop does accept credit cards. Go figure.

BTW, the museum building is very run-down compared to - say - museums in Rome, let alone the Louvre, Brit Museum, etc. But DH and I definitely enjoyed seeing the Pompeii mosiaics, the "Secret cabinet" room and the huge sculptures from Rome's Terme.

P.S. You will be walking uphill from the cruise dock to the museum. We took taxis both way. Plus there's a hop-on-hop off bus. Probably foot is the fastest if you're in good shape. Naples traffic was insane...or so we thought until we experienced Cairo traffic!

I second the recommendation to do the Museum if you are already planning to do Pompeii. That way you'll get a better idea because you'll see more of the everyday objects and beautiful artwork in the Museum. (As well as some world class ancient sculpture!)

Archived