Worst food choice you made on the Conquest

Cinderelli

I was on the Conquest in November and am going back 8/29. I really liked everything in the dining room and I am all for trying things I've never had before. I loved the escargot, pumpkin soup and lots of others. We ate at the Point twice and absolutely loved it (I could eat the creamed spinach until I turned green). The only things I had all week that I didn't like was something from the Chinese rest in the buffet area (don't remember what it was and I normally love Chinese food) and the chocolate buffet. It was the longest line of the week so I filled two plates with tiny portions of everything I could find. It all looked so wonderful, imagine my surprise when a chocoholic like me hated it all. The only thing I liked was the banana fritters. They were really good but there was nothing chocolate about them. I still wonder how anyone could screw up that much chocolate!!

Why worry or complain about trying something new that turns out to be not to your liking? Its a cruise! Order something else adventurous. If you don't care for it either--------Then ORDER SOMETHING ELSE, its a cruise......

But don't order the soup du jour, you never know what you'll get.:eek: :D

Dan

IMHO anyone that goes on a mass market line like Carnival, RCI, NCL or Princess and expects anything more than buffet style food in the main dining or lido is dreaming. The mass market lines have to feed anywhere between 2500 and 3500 passengers within a few hours. No way can they turn out gourmet style fare. I think that the food is good for all that has to be done in this short amount of time. If I do get something that does not suit me I just ask my waiter to please bring me something else.

To keep this on topic of the original question. I had duck once on the Sensation. My first and last time trying it. The more I chewed the bigger the piece felt. Nasty!!!!!:)

Ok, fess up! Which food did you try that you really didn't like while on the Conquest?

And, was this a new food for you? Something exotic?

Or one you've tried before, but their version was really different or just plain YUCKY?

:p

Glad you asked. I was going to post it in my review anyway.

We just got off the ship yesterday (8/1) and are now staying with our kids in NOLA for a few more days.

We found most of the food on Conquest, excellent in the main dining rooms and excellent to exceptional in The Point (which we dined at twice).

But... the very worst thing we found, and this was surprising, was The Eggs Benedict which was served in the Monet dining room at breakfast. If it was on the menu as Egg McMuffin, then it would have been a pretty good Egg McMuffin. However, the egg in an E.B. should be runny and not hard cooked.

The Hollandaise sauce should be velvety and not some indefinable brown crust pressing on the egg.

Now a classically trained Executive French Chef DOES know that, and that is who is the head of food on the Conquest. So, as we put in the suggestion box on board - What on Earth was that?

However, we were pleased and frankly surprised at the consistent level of excellence in the main dining rooms, not only with regard to the tastes but to the presentations as well. This is not an easy trick to pull off when serving three thousand odd people.

BillnBobbi

Travel-gal

I thought the same thing about the chocolate buffet, The only thing I liked there were the Banana Fritters.

Like I said the desserts in the dining were always so good, I couldn't believe the chocolate buffet was so bad :(

But... the very worst thing we found, and this was surprising, was The Eggs Benedict which was served in the Monet dining room at breakfast. If it was on the menu as Egg McMuffin, then it would have been a pretty good Egg McMuffin. However, the egg in an E.B. should be runny and not hard cooked.

The Hollandaise sauce should be velvety and not some indefinable brown crust pressing on the egg.

Several mornings on every cruise, I order Eggs Benedict. I don't remember a single time that it wasn't perfect, from the slightly runny yolk to the creamy Hollandaise. (Sounds like yours was put under a broiler or a very hot heat lamp.) Ugh - definitely not a good thing to do.

Now a classically trained Executive French Chef DOES know that, and that is who is the head of food on the Conquest.

Do you KNOW this was a "classically trained Executive FRENCH chef"?

And - actually, the Food & Beverage Director is in charge, frequently overseeing even a chef! You should have made your dissatisfaction known to him.

Archived