Galaxy and Constellation comparison please

Donnaluv2cruise

We've been looking a cruise next March and were kind of settled on The Constellation. The only thing was we wanted something a little different and we have sailed to the Carribean on her before. I don't know how I missed it, but The Galaxy also has a 10 day in March that stops in some places that we havn't been.

We really loved the Constellation. Will we like the Galaxy as much? And if so, what were your favorite parts of the ship? I'm looking at the SS. What an awsome balcony!

Do they have a martini bar, a cigar bar, and do they have an outside aft bar with the guitar player?

Thanks!

We have sailed Galaxy and really like her. I think the Sky Deck Sky Suites are better owing to the large balcony. Also your suite privileges allow you free access to the Spa pool which unlike Constellation is not free to everyone so it is much less crowded. Also if you are looking for a different twist to your Caribbean sailing, a change in itinerary as well as ship is a nice way to do it (assuming that you have not been on any Century class ships before).

I am sure others can give a more in depth comparison, but that it is what comes immediately to my mind.

One of my favorite features of the M class ships (and now Century) is the Aqua Spa cafe and Galaxy at this time does not have one.

I also enjoy at the specialty restaurants at least a couple of times during a cruise and she does not have one at present although on this board I have read she is getting one.

there is certainly nothing wrong with Galaxy. I had a great time on board. It has sort of a small ship feel. I like trying different ships also. I would rate my experience of Celebrity in this order

Zenith four stars

Galaxy four+ stars

Millenium five stars

Constellation five+ stars

Donnaluv2cruise,

We've been looking a cruise next March and were kind of settled on The Constellation. The only thing was we wanted something a little different and we have sailed to the Carribean on her before. I don't know how I missed it, but The Galaxy also has a 10 day in March that stops in some places that we havn't been.

We really loved the Constellation. Will we like the Galaxy as much? And if so, what were your favorite parts of the ship? I'm looking at the SS. What an awsome balcony!

I have cruised on both vessels, and found them to be pretty comparable overall. Thus, I'll book on whichever ship has the itinerary that I want at a time when I'm able to go.

The major difference in facilities is that MV Galaxy has a night club/lounge over the main dining room in addition to the disco/night club over the spa area while GTS Constellation has a specialty restaurant instead. The cabins are pretty similar. MV Galaxy also does not have an AquaSpa Cafe, but that's not a big deal to most people.

There is one error in the published deck plans. The food service bar that's labelled as a "grill" under the Magrodome, just aft of the buffet area, on the starboard side is now a waffle bar at breakfast and a pizza and pasta bar, which also serves some salads, from noon until 1:00 AM every day.

Do they have a martini bar, a cigar bar, and do they have an outside aft bar with the guitar player?

Yes, there is a martini bar. There probably is a cigar bar somewhere, but I'm not sure where (Michael's Club is now a lounge with live music). And I understand that there's now a musician at the bar on the port side of the Magrodome rather than outside, but there might be a musician outside as well.

Norm.

Here is a somewhat recent post where I discussed some of my views on the Galaxy. We sailed in February after 5 previous cruises on Summit and Constellation. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=502386

Bottom line is I'd pick either ship - both have some pluses over the other and I don't think you could go wrong with either. Personally I'd pick the Constellation, but not by a big margin - and my wife says she'd pick the Galaxy. I do think you'd like the Galaxy as much - or at least so close it wouldn't make a big difference.

Martini Bar - they do have this. As of a month ago the published deck plans showed this in a corner of the Savoy lounge, but it is now in front of the dining room entrance on the lower level of the dining room in an area called the Champagne bar on the older deck plans. They also had the full martini menu in the Stratosphere disco area.

Cigar bar - I don't think any Celebrity ship has one anymore. I think the only official Cigar area is the open aft deck on both Galaxy and the M class ships. Once upon a time all the Micheal's clubs were cigar bars, but not for years.

Guitar player. When we boarded they had no guitar player, but one came aboard mid cruise - he was pretty good. Played most nights outside, and one night in one of the lounges - the rendezvous I think. We too really enjoy listening to the guitar player out on the aft deck.

I think the big difference between the two is where they sail from. I think the Connie sails from Ft. Lauderdale and Galaxy sails from San Juan. San Juan can be difficult and expensive to fly into. That being said, I really love the ports of the southern itinerary.

Rollie

Archived