HELP! Passport question.

bettyonboard

I am asking everyone here, because I am sure that someone is going to answer my question quicker. My BF and I are filling out our passport applications. He has been married before, a long time ago. He doesn't know his ex-wifes place of birth, and is questioning even if he has her year of her birthday correct. I have emailed the "passport people's" website, and keep calling repeatedly, but they disconnect me because of their high call volume. Can he put the word "unknown" in these catagory's? Does that effect the outcome? He doesn't want to put not married, because then he would be lying. Has anyone come across this problem?:confused:

I am asking everyone here, because I am sure that someone is going to answer my question quicker. My BF and I are filling out our passport applications. He has been married before, a long time ago. He doesn't know his ex-wifes place of birth, and is questioning even if he has her year of her birthday correct. I have emailed the "passport people's" website, and keep calling repeatedly, but they disconnect me because of their high call volume. Can he put the word "unknown" in these catagory's? Does that effect the outcome? He doesn't want to put not married, because then he would be lying. Has anyone come across this problem?:confused:

You will have to go down in person to apply for your passport. The person taking the application will go over it with you. They are trained about what is acceptable or not. Leave it blank until you talk with them. Unless someone is a passport examiner you are getting a holiday inn express answer.

I don't know when you need your passport, but I went to the postoffice with my mother and cousin who were reapplying for their passports. We were told that it would take 4 months to be processes. Then, if you want it sooner, you could pay for expedited services which are $157.00 which means that you might get it in 2 months. What I'm trying to say is please do what you need to do as quickly as possible.

I don't know when you need your passport, but I went to the postoffice with my mother and cousin who were reapplying for their passports. We were told that it would take 4 months to be processes. Then, if you want it sooner, you could pay for expedited services which are $157.00 which means that you might get it in 2 months. What I'm trying to say is please do what you need to do as quickly as possible.

The regular first time fee is $97.00 the 60.00 extra was the expediting fee. It can take as little as two weeks to get it when you pay the extra fee.

Betty - you sound pretty desperate and I admire your integriy. I can tell you the reason they have a high volume call is they are overwhelmed and backlogged with requests. Even with an expedited fee and request, it can take substantially longer to get a passport...2 months IS expedited. I recommend if BF is going to confirm a previous marriage, that you do not leave it "unknown"...probably not an acceptable answer. I recommend either getting the information, or giving it your best...shall I say...estimate in good faith. I agree with a previous post on the recommendation you should go to a post office who is authorized to process passport requests. They can give you sound advice and perhaps help alleviate your concerns. :)

Just for the record this was a news release 3/20/07

The U.S. State Department reportedly has been inundated with requests for passports. It could take 10 weeks instead of the usual six to process routine applications, according to the department. Expedited requests, which cost an extra $60 on top of the normal $97 fee, reportedly now take four weeks instead of two. About 12 million passport applications were processed in 2006, and as many as 17 million are expected this year, according to the U.S. State Department. Some 74 million Americans have valid passports. For more information, visit http://www.travel.state.gov.

Ray

Betty - I agree with the others that not filling in the information could cause problem.

One possible solution would be for your husband to contact recorder's office of the county where he got married. Request a copy of his marriage license. They should have the marriage certificate on file and I would believe that all of this information is on the the certificate.

Good Luck

You can try to obtain the information your BF needs, on the internet by going to the county government site and looking for the information or calling then.

If time is a big pressure then Google "US passport" and there are services out there that can get you a passport in a few days, or a few weeks.

I was able to talk to the US Postal Service. A live person! She said that it is better to leave it blank than put a "guess" in it. She said the social security number is the only legal requirement. Seems strange to me. But the more information that you have the better. One note, we do not leave until September, so we have a little bit more time than most, but are a little stressed. Thanks to everyone who answered! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

You can try to obtain the information your BF needs' date=' on the internet by going to the county government site and looking for the information or calling then.

If time is a big pressure then Google "US passport" and there are services out there that can get you a passport in a few days, or a few weeks.[/quote']

No for a first passport you MUST go to an authorized agent in person. There is no way around that. You can get a passport in a day at one of the passport offices.

Renewals can be had through an agent.

I have another question along the same line. We are going on a cruise in Sept and going to Turkey and understand that we need a visa? I have read that you can obtain one at the port when we dock. I guess my question is should we get one before we leave home or wait and how long will it take for us to get it??

thanks in advance

I have another question along the same line. We are going on a cruise in Sept and going to Turkey and understand that we need a visa? I have read that you can obtain one at the port when we dock. I guess my question is should we get one before we leave home or wait and how long will it take for us to get it??

thanks in advance

Visa at the dock will be $20.00 US or 15 Euros they are very easy to get. If you aren't leaving from Turkey and just on the cruise you don't need a visa I believe. Getting a Visa in the US is much more expensive and time consuming...

Betty - glad to read that you got this resolved! Have a great trip!

maggie - here is a quote from State Dept on your question. Appears you will be ok buying the sticker visa at port, but you can call the Turkish Embassy in DC to confirm. I think visas need to be purchased in advance at the embassy or consulate only for longer stays, or on other than tourist passports, i.e. official or diplomatic. Hope this helps.

"ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A passport and visa are required. Currently, holders of all types of passports can purchase a 90-day sticker visa at the port of entry for $20 cash if they are traveling to Turkey as tourists. For further information, travelers in the U.S. may contact the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey at 2525 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone: (202) 612-6700, or the Turkish consulates general in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, or New York. Information may also be found at Internet address http://www.turkey.org/. Overseas, travelers may contact a Turkish embassy or consulate.

Visa at the dock will be $20.00 US or 15 Euros they are very easy to get. If you aren't leaving from Turkey and just on the cruise you don't need a visa I believe. Getting a Visa in the US is much more expensive and time consuming...

this is what they look like a postage stamp sort of thing.

The Euro was only 1.20 back then...

and this is what you need to do to get one in the US $29.00 Visa fee and pictures etc..

http://www.passportsplus.com/visa_turkey.html?gclid=CNCfvO2cjIsCFR_bQAodvEieTQ

(this is for a service that charges $29.00 more than the $29.00 visa fee to process as well...

1685980633_turkishvisa-1.jpg.e0a92603f45e50a783fe1df6d6f4a99a.jpg

Archived