Goodmark Jewelers, Cozumel, Mexico

Linda Shapiro

I purchased a pair of earrings from them. Now they are in a duty-free port, and I did not expect to pay anything else but the purchase price. When I received my credit statement, I was charged $17.42 by my credit card co. This is the first time I ever had to pay a conversion charge in a duty-free port without being advised that there would be an extra charge for a credit card purchase. When I complained to Goodmark's office NY office, I was told that "They never heard about anyone being charged a conversion rate in Cozumel." Not only did they not offer to reimburse me, but their "customer service" person had the nerve to try to sell me something else! By the way, when I complained to NCL, they offered no help. I guess their "rake-off" is good enough for them. Stay away from "recommended stores." Their prices include a kick-back to the ships.

How much was the purchase for? Did it show up correctly as a separate line on your credit card statement?

My bet is that the extra amount is the credit card company's fees and charges for making a payment in a foreign currency, and nothing to do with either the jewellers or with NCL. If that is right, your ire has been misdirected, and you ought to be taking this up with your credit card company.

Howdy Linda Shapiro!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your post. However, you have posted on the forum where members find the "How to ..." type of information for using Cruise Critic's software such as avatars, signatures, countdown clocks or tickers, attaching pictures, etc. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per our Community Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the Ports of Call - Cozumel Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210 where it will be on topic. The new location for your thread is a better location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it.

I truly hope you don't mind some friendly 05.gif suggestions to a new member, but you might want to read our Community Guidelines and FAQ first. Especially the Getting Started section in FAQ. You will see how a new topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. It also gives a brief summary of the topics covered in some of the forum sections. In our Community Guidelines, please read the Please Browse BEFORE You Post section. In making an inquiry, be sure to word your title so that the other members scrolling through the thread titles will know exactly the information you seek and will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic. You will get more replies that way. Also, be sure to mention your cruise line, ship & sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers to you. Click here Cruise Critic Message Boards for the list of all the Cruise Critic forums and be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky threads at the top of the various forums for additional information too.

If you have any other questions about using the Cruise Critic software, please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum to see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif If not, please feel free to post your new thread inquiry about the software there and we will be happy to try to help you with a solution. Also, the Search this Forum feature is on all other Cruise Critic forums too. It will help narrow down the threads you will want to read during any of your research. If you want to search more than one forum at a time, use our Search feature.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I agree with Globaliser that it might be a charge by your credit card company since you made a purchase in a foreign currency. My credit card company charges a foreign transaction fee, this practise just started about a year ago. (I was not happy when I recieved that notice.) I can't remember the charge, I think it is a percent or two of purchase.

• 2 years later...

I took a cruise on Carnival out of Galveston,Tx on July 8, 2007. I purchased a 1.5 ct Alexandrite gemstone from Goodmark Jewelers and was told to me by Vitali of Goodmark that this stone was appraised over $29,000 and this was a great deal. I even got a recommendation from the Carnival "personal shopper" that it was a great deal.

When I got back to Houston, I had it appraised for only $15,100. I contacted Serhat Orbay in New York for Goodmark and Mary Santana with PPI group. I got another independent appraisal that was recommended by the PPI group in New York, Gem Evaluation. Gem Evaluation appraised the stone for $13,300.

I have contacted Serhat with Goodmark about the two appraisals and the only thing he continually states is the he wants to exchange my stone for a true $29,000 valued alexandrite. I constantly told him that "I WANT MY $29,000 BACK!!"

I have filed with the BBB in New York, case #766105 in July, 2008 and the Attorney General in New York in October, 2008. Both have done NOTHING for me in my case of fraud.

Lady Taz posted information about her experience and that she did receive her money back from Goodmark. I would love to get help from her or anyone else that has had the same experience like me so that I can get my money back from Goodmark.

Please help!!!

Archived