Traveling without child

cruisegirl25

Hello All,

I know this thread is for family cruising, but I did not know where to begin. We are going on our first cruise without our daughter. She will stay home with her Nana. I am not sure what I need to do for her. What kind of documentation should I do. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there :)

You asking what sort of papers you need to leave with Nana and her for the time you and your husband are gone alone, right?

I leave a signed (by DH & I) letter giving my kids' Grandma permission to make medical decisions in my absence and put the dates for when we will be gone. I also call the pediatrician, school, and people they take lessons from to let them know of the change in who will be taking care of my children. I take a note into the school with Grandma's phone numbers on it. As for getting a hold of you, just leave Grandma a list of any flights, hotels, and number for the cruise line.

I'm not sure, but I think most ships have a number that she could call if it was a serious emergency to reach you. Talk to your TA or call the cruise line to comfirm that and get the number.

I hope that answered your question.

That first trip leaving the littles ones behind was tough for me, but it was worth it once I stopped worrying! DH would remind that Grandma loved the kids as much as we did and she was having fun spoiling them without us there to stop her. :D

Enjoy your cruise, it'll be a lot of fun!!

agree get it notarized...when I left my 2 year old behind. She developed an ear infection and my aunt had to use all the info to see a doctor and fill the prescription. So don't forget the prescription card...

I always get the medical letter notorized also. I'll be happy to share my letter with you guys next week. It's on my work computer. Don't forget to leave the prescription card if you have a separate one from you insurance card.

Be certain Gma has a full list of all emergency numbers (Dr., DDS, school, etc.).

Also be certain that there is a backup plan for care in case Gma has an emergency - a friend of mine's mother came up to take care of her kids for a long weekend last year. Gma was from 200miles away. Gma's other daughter (still a teen) was in a car accident and needed her. Fortunately my friend's daughter thought of me - I was quite happy to take the kids for the few hours before the parents were due home. My DH arranged to get Gma on an early flight home and Gma was there for the younger sis. I've had sitters get sick, etc. Make a good contingency plan and then (in my experience) you won't need it!

Make certain Gma knows your DD's schedule and how to get to all of the places (piano lessons, dance lessons, etc.). As someone else suggested, make certain all those folks know that Gma will be picking up DD (I'm a girl scout leader, and I make all parents send in either a written note to the school or email me from an account that I know is them, if anyone other than the mom or dad will be picking up the girl. We've had a couple of just wierd situations and I'm just not comfortable releasing a girl to anyone other than the parent).

Everyone has lots of great advice here. One other thing we have always done when we left our kids behind, was give my MIL my close friends phone numbers. They always stayed at our house so the kids could stay in school, dance class, baseball, etc. My friends also called a few times while we were away and took the kids for play dates to give my MIL a short break. All this is now in the past because we took the kids on their 1st cruise, and now we are not allowed to go without them LOL!

Have a great child free trip!

Kim

Archived