Info needed for Hampton Inn area

We will be flying into Vancouver on Sunday afternoon and taking a taxi or limo to the Hampton Inn on Roberson. We are forty-somethings traveling with my sixty-somethings parents-in-law and in average health. Our cruise leaves on Monday so we will have the afternoon and evening to explore the area.

We're checked out various websites and looking for activity and restaurant ideas. The Hampton Inn website mentions being "walking distance to Yaletown, Gastown, Chinatown, Granville Island and Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal." I'm sure we'll want to get out and look around the area. We're thinking about taking the little ferries to Granville Island or maybe just exploring the area around the hotel and beyond if worthwhile. I've looked at a map and wondering if all of the areas mentioned above are really within walking distance for us. As for restaurants, we're interested in reasonable and maybe unique to the area, but not a chain. And lastly, are these areas safe for tourists in the afternoons and evenings?

Any and all comments from locals, someone who's been there or anyone else will be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Yale Town, The Ferry's to Granville Island, China Town..... return easy... Canada Place and GAstown easy one way. My 60 something legs might not want to do both ways....depending on what you made me do there.. But I have done it :)

Nothing is really too far but your hotel is a little out of the way at that end of Robson. I'm not too familure with the area's restaurants but Yale town has some great pubs for dining and Granville Island has just about anything you'd want.

As far as walking early evening (daylight) would be fine with me .... getting dark the area between some of those places and your hotel might be a little iffy. Party of four I'd be comfortable... especially if the other guys were as young as you.

Hello LeftcoastBC. Thanks for responding to my post.

Yes, it looks as if some of the places mentioned (i.e. Canada Place) would likely be out of roundtrip walking distance for us from Hampton Inn.

Another possibility may be the trolley. I checked their website and see it covers a large area and stops at Sandman Hotel which is close to our hotel. The City Attractions Tour may be a good option if we decide to venture out and about in Vancouver. That way, we could hop on and off at our convenience or just ride and see the sights. We've never ridden a trolley and it looks like fun.

Other possibilities for us could be the Seabus to North Vancouver. And, for some reason, those little Aquabuses appeal to me. The fare for any of these options looks reasonable. Have you done any of them and do you have any thoughts or recommendations of one vs. the other?

We stayed there last year (LOVED it). When we were there their free shuttle was available to take you many places. So make sure you ask the front desk before you take off, they were very helpful. We walked to Chinatown twice, but would not want to do it in the dark. Have a great time.

Tammy

We stayed there last year (LOVED it). When we were there their free shuttle was available to take you many places. So make sure you ask the front desk before you take off, they were very helpful. We walked to Chinatown twice, but would not want to do it in the dark. Have a great time.

Tammy

Thanks Tammy. The Hampton Inn gets good reviews on Tripadvisor and some other posters here have spoken highly of it. The only downside as some pointed out is that it is a little out of the way being at the end of Robson.

We were planning on using the shuttle for transportation to our cruise ship on Monday. I hadn't even considered using it to take us other places. Thanks for the suggestion!

We will be docking from a cruise ship at Ballantyne Pier on a Sunday and plan to stay at the Hampton Inn for 2 nites. Does anyone know if the hotel shuttle does PICKUP AT the pier, or only dropoff? Does the hotel offer their shuttle service to the airport?

Also, we plan to purchase the on/off bus tickets for sightseeing for 2 days. We have info about the double decker bus, is that the only one offering the on/off program? Should we buy the tickets in advance or can we get them at the hotel or a local office?

Appreciate any and all info and suggestions.

Marilyn

Archived