Cell phones or pay phones?

macy

Does aone know if you can use cell phones (particularly Centennial Wireless) in Barbados?

Also, are there pay phones and a place to buy phone cards near the dock?

Internet is not an option for me. I would like to contact my dad, but he doesn't have internet access.

Thanks for your help.

Mary

We were in St Lucia last month. I can't comment on cell phones as I'm in Britain and it will be very different to contact the US rather than England.

There are banks of pay phones at the dock that take debit/credit cards. But I'm in shock at the moment as I've just received my credit card bill. My sister used my card to ring home to England from one of these phones. She was on the phone for less than 10 minutes and my card has been charged £29.39 - $57.85 at today's rate of exchange! Couldn't believe my eyes I can tell you! It will probably be cheaper to ring the US but be warned!

I've used my card to ring home from many parts of the world and it's usually been the cheaper way to do it, but I feel very ripped off by St Lucia! :mad:

Thank you for the valuable information regarding the pay phones at the dock. Wow, I bet you do feel like you were ripped off-that's outrageous. I would not have expected that either. It wasn't much cheaper than calling from the ship!

It might be cheaper to call the US, but I don't know if I'll chance it. I might wait and call from another port, maybe St. Thomas or St. Martin.

Thanks again for your help.

Mary

• 1 month later...

On my cruise April 7 - 14, I used my T-Mobile service to call the US from every island except St. Martin; this includes Puerto Rico, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Thomas.

Before leaving on the cruise I went online and checked the T-Mobile website for info on international roaming. I checked the model of my phone to make certain it was available for my particular phone. I then called t-mobile and asked for international roaming. It was no additional charge; it just had to be "turned on" for my phone (actually, both phones on this account).

While on the cruise, I made phone calls or text messages from every port except St. Martin. I can't remember what the fee is for each international call and I haven't received my bill yet. But the price was on the website and it wasn't much. Also, the operator I spoke to at T-Mobile was able to tell me how likely I was to get a decent connection on each island. Actually, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas aren't international, they're U.S.

I'd try contacting your cell provider and see what they offer. Hope this helps.

Archived