Safest thing to do on own in Samana?

iluv2travl

We are going on an 8 day out of NYC next Sat (April 7). We booked our excursions through NCL for St. Thomas and for Tortola, but.....we didn't choose anything for Samana. I have heard really horrible stories about this place but kind of wanted to do a nice beach or something on my own. Any suggestions for something safe and nice. I would book through the cruiseline but the other two excursions we booked were very expensive and I can't really afford to fork out another 200-300 dollars (there are 3 of us) for another cruiseline excursion. Or........should we just stay on the ship?

hey, i just came home yesterday from the same trip ur about to go on, you will be disapointed. i hated the whole thing. even though it freestyle bring fancy clothes in order to get in to eat. and also stay on board for samana if you dont wanna be frightened for your life. as soon as we stepped off ship (we decided against excuersion) every two steps little pushy kids were beggin and tryin to steal from you, plus they drive on both sides of the road and dont stop for you. seriously horrible. we went straight back to the boat

hey, i just came home yesterday from the same trip ur about to go on, you will be disapointed. i hated the whole thing. even though it freestyle bring fancy clothes in order to get in to eat. and also stay on board for samana if you dont wanna be frightened for your life. as soon as we stepped off ship (we decided against excuersion) every two steps little pushy kids were beggin and tryin to steal from you, plus they drive on both sides of the road and dont stop for you. seriously horrible. we went straight back to the boat

I was afraid someone was going to tell me that. :cool: That seems to be the "word" about Samana. I guess I will just enjoy the ship that day with a little less people aboard. Maybe I'll check out the spa or something! ;) Thanks for the imput.

We were in Samana last October on the Veendam and we had wonderful day there, one of the nicest of a great cruise of 34 days.

We took a boat over to Cayo Levantado and spent several hours enjoying this lovely island.

Here is a link to postings about this island: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=479986

We picked the boat up at the tender pier, it cost us $20p.p. and the guide stayed on the island with us until we wanted to return. It was a delightful way to finish a fantastic cruise.

Jennie

We were in Samana last October on the Veendam and we had wonderful day there, one of the nicest of a great cruise of 34 days.

We took a boat over to Cayo Levantado and spent several hours enjoying this lovely island.

Here is a link to postings about this island: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=479986

We picked the boat up at the tender pier, it cost us $20p.p. and the guide stayed on the island with us until we wanted to return. It was a delightful way to finish a fantastic cruise.

Jennie

Wow,

Thanks for the info on Cayo Levantado. I did check out some of the links to the info. you sent and it looks like a great time if I book and excursion. I think I will cancel the Excursion in St. Thomas and book one for Samana. However, it would be cheaper the way you did it. Do you remember the name of the co. that took you to the island or was it just a local guy. I read somewhere else on here that someone else did that and when they reached CL beach some security officer gave them a very hard time and they had to make up some story that they weren't from the cruise ship to stay. I am so confused on what to do. I think I'm arguing with myself! :o Is the tender pier before you get to the people that drive you crazy. I have experienced this in Belize and the Bahamas and it drives me nuts. It's hard to enjoy anything when people won't stop begging.

Wow,

Thanks for the info on Cayo Levantado. I did check out some of the links to the info. you sent and it looks like a great time if I book and excursion. I think I will cancel the Excursion in St. Thomas and book one for Samana. However, it would be cheaper the way you did it. Do you remember the name of the co. that took you to the island or was it just a local guy. I read somewhere else on here that someone else did that and when they reached CL beach some security officer gave them a very hard time and they had to make up some story that they weren't from the cruise ship to stay. I am so confused on what to do. I think I'm arguing with myself! :o Is the tender pier before you get to the people that drive you crazy. I have experienced this in Belize and the Bahamas and it drives me nuts. It's hard to enjoy anything when people won't stop begging.

I just got off the Dawn Sunday. I booked the Cay Levantado Beach. It ws OK, there are pictures of it on my webshots under my signature. People who got off the ship and tendered into Sama were very dissapointed and yes scared.

I just got off the Dawn Sunday. I booked the Cay Levantado Beach. It ws OK, there are pictures of it on my webshots under my signature. People who got off the ship and tendered into Sama were very dissapointed and yes scared.

So if you had a choice to do it again, would you, or would you stay on the ship?

Lori

Wow,

We were not at all scared in Samana. We did do a walk around the town before deciding on doing our trip to Cayo Levatado. We have been to many third world countries including Asia etc and there is nothing to be scared about in any of these places if you use your common sense and don't flash expensive jewellery and wealth around. We didn't see any beggars at all, it is not that type of town. It is mainly young people madly riding motor bikes.

The tender pier is before you meet up with all the locals who are trying to sell you tours. We just picked a nice guy who spoke good english, gave us a good price and explained what the trip entailed. They all have albums of photographs describing their tours. We told him we would go back to the ship and get our bathers and be back at a certain time.

He was waiting for us when we returned. We had no hassles in fact I think the restaurants on the island are very happy for the cruisers to go there as they need the business.

Half the cruise staff were on the island as well so it must be a well known secret.

Jennie

Go to Cayo Leventado Definitely! Was just there and we enjoyed it even in the rain!

I tried to call and book that one yesterday. (I had already booked for St. Thomas, and Tortolla), but.........they can't take anymore pre-bookings within 5 days of sailing. I will try to book it when I get on the ship. I hope it's not full already. :rolleyes: What did you like about it?

Lori

Cayo Levatado has the most beautiful sand and water we have seen in a long time. The water has a sandy bottom, is warm and you can spend hours swimming. The beach has good sand, we hired lounges and spent the time relaxing.

Here is a photo of that lovely beach:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/aussiejen/P1000726.jpg

Jennie

Cayo Levatado has the most beautiful sand and water we have seen in a long time. The water has a sandy bottom, is warm and you can spend hours swimming. The beach has good sand, we hired lounges and spent the time relaxing.

Here is a photo of that lovely beach:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/aussiejen/P1000726.jpg

Jennie

I tried the link to your photos and it didn't work for me? Maybe it's my browser?:confused:

I have read other postings about this excursion. I checked out the RCI excursions and nothing is listed under this name. Up until now I had the impression that this was an excursion that had to be booked through the ship. Am I wrong or did you arrange this yourself?

I am trying to find excursion through RCCL for Samana & they don't offer any (at least from what I can see at this time!).. we're very adventurous- but its a shame these developing ports are not better organized. I have done several excursions from La Romana over to Catalina Island- and have to say, the boat rides can be very rough-- and not pleasant for elderly. Does anyone recommend a beach- that is easy to get to- for any type of guest. I like DR but am not familiar with this coast/side.. only Punta Cana & Bayahibe. thanks

Well, I just got back today from our Easter cruise on the Spirit. I took everyones advice and booked the Cayo Laventado Beach Escape through NCL. It was one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. My son and I even rented a kayak for $15.00 for an hour. We paddled the kayak to a remote section of the island and found some nice seashells. We even saw some little tiny sea turtles. Very nice! Thanks everyone.

Lori

Hi Lori:

I'm glad you had a good time. I was very unimpressed with Cayo Laventado. I think the $29 fee made it not worth it. Next time, I'll stay on the ship.

The beach was OK... a bit too crowded for my taste. There were no waves and there was no snorkeling. Didn't see a single fish.

• 1 month later...

Archived