Eastern Caribbean and motion sickness?

chaperonemom

We leave 2 weeks from today for our cruise. I was just reading another thread and saw that the person mentioned the seas were a bit rougher in the East. For those of you returning recently, how were the seas, and would you recommend getting a prescription for motion sickness before we leave home?

Thanks!!!

If you are prone to motion sickness I would. It doesn't take much movement for me to get sick. I take bonine( over the counter). It's once a day. It will take all day to fell better if you get sick. I don't chance it any more. We been in all parts of the Caribbean. This time of year seems to be less ruff. The winter is there windy season. The last cruises we were on this time of year, and were calm. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

We leave 2 weeks from today for our cruise. I was just reading another thread and saw that the person mentioned the seas were a bit rougher in the East. For those of you returning recently, how were the seas, and would you recommend getting a prescription for motion sickness before we leave home?

Thanks!!!

Only on our first cruise during November did we come upon bad seas - the captain kept apologizing and I just knew we were going down so I sat in a chair all night keeping watch with my life vest in hand while my husband snored. I am thankful it only lasted a little less then 24hrs. While I felt nauseated it passed without having to use anything but I was prepared. It was the only cruise that we had ruff seas and we have cruised at all times of the year.

I returned from an eastern Caribbean cruise earlier this month. We had one "rough" day, but the rest of the cruise was very smooth.

I don't generally have a seasickness problem. Based on recommendations, I took ginger pills as a safeguard. Bonine is the other top recommendation. I was not phased by the rough seas, and honestly don't think I would have been without the ginger.

Out of our party of 8, two people were bothered on the rough day. To the best of my knowledge, I was the only one in our group who was taking anything as a preventive.

Motion sickness pills have a lot of side effects. My wife uses the motion sickness wrist bands. No side effects and she had no problems on our last cruise which was in the eastern. The ginger pills are a safe bet also. The wrist bands are available at drug store, travel shops and scuba shops.

We always take meclazine, which is the generic of Bonine and the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine. I start taking them before I get on the ship and stop when I'm off. These pills are cheap when you buy the generic. I can get sick, and I don't take chance. While the pills could have some side effect, I haven't seen any that would be worse than the alternative, which is on my knees in the bathroom. Same goes for patches, side effects for some people, but consider the alternative.

Ken

Archived