Navigator or Radiance?

I'm trying to decide if I want to plan a cruise on the Radiance or the Navigator. Can anyone give me any advise. Is the service better on the Navigator or the Radiance? Is the dining and lodging better on the Navigator or the Radiance.

I'm trying to decide if I want to plan a cruise on the Radiance or the Navigator. Can anyone give me any advise. Is the service better on the Navigator or the Radiance? Is the dining and lodging better on the Navigator or the Radiance.

Hi Ladybug!

To me the comparison is apples and oranges, really!

Our last cruise was aboard the Radiance (Dec 2006), the ship is elegant with lots of wood trim, smaller and more intimate, has outdoor eating areas (area off the Windjammer, SeaView Cafe, etc.) and has a different atmosphere than the Voyager class ships. The Solarium is quite nice and the Colony Club just beautiful. I think the Centrum is over-rated, but it is nice.

We've sailed the Mariner three years in a row (June 04, 05, & 06) and love her! Yes, she is quite large but has pizazz that we so missed aboard the Radiance. We love the Promenade as the shops & pubs are in open view and so accessible. (The Radiance shops are tucked away). We love the abundance of activities found on the larger ship (ice and roller skating, more sports, larger spaces, etc.) The cabins are larger as are the size of standard balconies. We travel with a teen son and the Radiance has much less dedicated to teens and we found that there weren't very many teens travelling with us -- unusual during Xmas break! The Voyager class ships -- especially the second generation design (Navigator & Mariner) offer much more teen areas.

Much depends on what type of experience you are seeking and if you have children accompanying you on the trip. We found both to have excellent service, the Radiance is not as crowded, no ice show aboard the Radiance, dining was about the same although the Windjammer aboard the Radiance is more intimate and we took many meals there vs. the dining room. No Johnny Rockets aboard the Radiance, but it does have a wonderful Sea View Cafe instead.

Good luck, you will have a grand time no matter which you choose!

Rose

Voyager or Radiance?

It's an age-old question and you'll get just as many opinions on both sides, probably. Voyager and her sisters (Navigator, Mariner, etc) are very popular, particularly among those with kids - the range of activities aboard is really second to none. This isn't to say there isn't anything to do on Radiance -- far from it -- just that there is so much MORE on the bigger ships. More solitary types like myself tend to prefer the "smaller" (ha! As if Radiance could be called small!) ships.. Not only because they attract fewer children, but because they are generally more outward-looking and ship-like. It's fairly easy to forget you're at sea on a Voyager class promenade, but Radiance is so full of glass that views of the sea are everywhere. I also find that I get a better staff experience on the smaller ships, particularly Vision class. This isn't because the staff is better, necessarily, but I think stems from the fact that they've just got fewer people to deal with and can get to know you better.

It would be hard for me to choose a favorite - they all have their charms. Why don't I try one of each and get back to you? ;)

We've sailed on Radiance 6 times to date with our 7th cruise coming up April 14 and our 8th coming up September 14. So you can tell which ship is our favorite.:)

We have done a b2b on Navigator and enjoyed it especially with Capt. Bang at the helm. The Ice Show is spectacular as is the promenade.

As Rose said, the two ships are completely different, both in size and in what is available on board. We love Radiance because of the staff and crew and it's like going home each time we board. And the Sea View Cafe has got to be the best kept secret on any Radiance class ship. Unlike JR's, you get more of a variety in selections. And the food is prepared for you right on the spot.

I don't think you would be unhappy booking either ship......because each is so unique.

Archived