Vancouver/Seattle carry on luggage and customs

wolfie11

I'm travelling from Vancouver to Seattle by plane and then up to Alaska. Does anyone know if they limit liquids in carry on in Vancouver as in the US? I don't want to check a bag if I don't have to as I understand I have to pick up the bag in Seattle and take it thru customs and then recheck it. On the other hand, I have liquids, so I can't take them in carry on if they're going to enforce the same rules as in the US in Vancouver. Does anyone know how this works?

Yes, liquids are restricted from carry-on in Canada. You can purchase liquids (water, juice, etc.) once you pass through security, but you can't carry any through security itself.

In Seattle, you get off the plane, clear customs, then go down one level to pick up your luggage, and take it through immigration. As soon as you get through immigration, you turn left and put your checked bags back onto the conveyor (or hand them to the baggage handler who does it). Then you have to clear security again and head off to your gate. I've done this so many times and it's pretty quick.

I've been amazed at what I could do without when I wanted to fly with just a carry on! You can buy travel-size bottles of just about any toiletry. When I want a bigger bottle of something, like shampoo or conditioner, I buy something cheap at my destination and then use it up or toss it before flying home.

Thanks, LuckysII for the info. I try to fly with just carry on and usually do as NancyIL recommends, but I was hoping to buy some wine in BC and not have to check it. The new rules are such a pain when it comes to buying booze. I used to pick up several bottles on trips to California or Washington and carry them on to get them home. Now I have to check them and I'm always afraid all my clothes are going to get a good soaking when a bottle breaks.

I am also addicted to Mountain Dew, which you can't find in Vancouver, so for my cruise I'll have to schlepp it with me and check my bags.

Archived