Messina to Taormina, train or bus?

Hi,

Please help me on this one. How should I get to Taormina. I know the bus goes right to the town, but the train is faster, right? Which one should I take? I am also trying to reduce the cost, so at the train station I will just take the shuttle/bus up to the town instead of the taxi.

Thx

I'd take which ever method worked out best for my schedule. Trains in Southern Italy and particularly Sicily are not all the great. Older rolling stock, sometimes not well-cleaned, often late.

Anywhere north of Naples, I take the train unless there is a serious reason not to; down south the buses are often at least as good an option.

Paul

I think the train line between Messina and Taormina is pretty reliable. However, keep in mind that the Taormina train station (Stazione) is really not in Taormina, but located along the coast below the clifftop city. From the train station you need to catch a bus up to the city. As an alternative, you can make your way from the train station to the cable car and ride up to the city. Either way, its a minor hassle.

Hank

From the train station you need to catch a bus up to the city. As an alternative, you can make your way from the train station to the cable car and ride up to the city. Either way, its a minor hassle.

Hank

Hi Hank, can you share more info re cable car? How far is this cable car from the train station (giardini naxos?) and what's the approximate cost? Also, how often does it go up to Taormina? Is there a website that I can look at re cable car? Sorry for all the questions; appreciate any help. Thanks:)

We have never used the cable car, but I believe you would need a taxi to get from the train station to the lower cable car station. That cable car runs continuously all day (during the summer tourist season) and is primarily used by folks in the hotels as a way to get from Taormina to the beach. The most common way to get from the train station up to the town is to use the local bus, but there is some luck in making a good connection. The alternative is to take a taxi up to Taormina or to the cable car. I mentioned the cable car because it looks like a really neat ride with a great view of the coast as you rise up to Taormina. On our 2 trips to Taormina we have done one on a cruise line bus (overpriced but very convenient) and the other time we had a rental car.

Hank

We took the train from Messina to Taormina...older trains but they ran on time and got us from one place to the other..We only waited 10 minutes for the local bus which took us up to the bus parking area..then it's a hike up to the walled city..Well worth the effort..very charming and the views are unbelievable..people still marvel at my pictures..especially the one of me with Mt Etna in the background..

It is a 15-20 minute walk from cruise terminal in messina to the train station..The train took about 1 hour..which was the express..coming back we had the local train which took about 20 minutes longer due to frequent stops..Our return train had a number of young people on it..I thought it was somewhat unusual til I realized that the train was their 'school bus'..and they were coming home..

As a final comment..Taormina is well worth the visit which every way you choose to get there..Enjoy..

Carol

Hi Hank, can you share more info re cable car? How far is this cable car from the train station (giardini naxos?) and what's the approximate cost?

Approximately 1 mile - 3.50 Euros return trip for the Funivia

Also, how often does it go up to Taormina?

Every 15 minutes

Is there a website that I can look at re cable car?

http://www.taorminaline.com/taormina-trasporti/funivia/index.htm

Hi, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your help. Nice website too...now, if only I can read Italian, lol. The little bit I could understand is helpful though.;)

One other question: Other than the regular bus to Taormina, I've read about a (local?) orange shuttle bus that goes to Taormina also, costs 0.5 euros per ride. Can anyone shed light on this bus or have I been reading too much that things are all muddled in my mind.:confused: Thanks.:)

We visited Taormina last September and we used the local bus..I didn't see any shuttle buses..Maybe they run during the summer tourist season..We only waited 5-10min max each way for the regular bus..

Archived